RTX 2060 or RX 5700

Marnex
Go to solution Solved by Vejnemojnen,
1 minute ago, Marnex said:

Also any idea on power consumption? (Electricity is kinda expensive here ?).

Got a GTX 970 now, will it be worth upgrading (as I struggle with even GTA on max)

wow, never thought someone would even ask such a question :) Well, Undervolted, the 5700 will be fine around 150-155 watts.

power-maximum.png

Though of course, you can undervolt the RTX2060, in which case that will consume even less.. :) Turing cards are incredibly good UV-ers, sometimes you can reduce core voltage by ~12-13%, which has an awesome effect on temperatures and fan speeds. 

for how to undervolt, see the videos linked in the thread. Definitely worth it.

Hi,

I've been looking for a new GPU and I'm considering the RTX 2060 or the RX 5700.

But since I've read that AMD has some issues regarding drivers (not sure how the drivers are now). Is it worth buying the RX 5700 or is the RTX 2060 the better option? 

2 minutes ago, Marnex said:

Hi,

I've been looking for a new GPU and I'm considering the RTX 2060 or the RX 5700.

But since I've read that AMD has some issues regarding drivers (not sure how the drivers are now). Is it worth buying the RX 5700 or is the RTX 2060 the better option? 

Where are you located? HOw are the prices for the GPU-s? What particular model were you looking at? BC there are quite a few custom-aftermarket cooled cards, which are not recommended (eg.: 5700: anything from ASUS should be avoided, and every ASUS 2060, excluding the STRIX line (which is among the very best. )

Prices? Location? Models you are torn between? : )

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

In terms of performance, the 500 wins, and AMD is focusing quite a bit on bug fixing their drivers at the moment. They recently put out an update that was 100% bug fix for graphics performance, and hopefully we will be seeing more of that down the line. if you're ok with some troubleshooting once you install the graphics card the first time, it's worth it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Where are you located? HOw are the prices for the GPU-s? What particular model were you looking at? BC there are quite a few custom-aftermarket cooled cards, which are not recommended (eg.: 5700: anything from ASUS should be avoided, and every ASUS 2060, excluding the STRIX line (which is among the very best. )

Prices? Location? Models you are torn between? : )

I'm located in Belgium/Netherlands market. I was looking at the powercolor red dragon/devil 5700 or MSI, as for RTX 2060 maybe the MSI gaming Z

Prices appear to be somewhat similar between both.

2 minutes ago, Marnex said:

I'm located in Belgium/Netherlands market. I was looking at the powercolor red dragon/devil 5700 or MSI, as for RTX 2060 maybe the MSI gaming Z

Prices appear to be somewhat similar between both.

in that case, I'd pick the Red Devil. Or even look at Sapphire Pulse, which is among the cheapest aftermarket radeons, yet, outperforms a bunch of much pricier products in terms of cooling and OC-ability.

3 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

in that case, I'd pick the Red Devil. Or even look at Sapphire Pulse, which is among the cheapest aftermarket radeons, yet, outperforms a bunch of much pricier products in terms of cooling and OC-ability.

Got a GTX 970 now, will it be worth upgrading (as I struggle with even GTA on max)

1 minute ago, Marnex said:

wow, never thought someone would even ask such a question :) Well, Undervolted, the 5700 will be fine around 150-155 watts.

power-maximum.png

Though of course, you can undervolt the RTX2060, in which case that will consume even less.. :) Turing cards are incredibly good UV-ers, sometimes you can reduce core voltage by ~12-13%, which has an awesome effect on temperatures and fan speeds. 

42 minutes ago, Marnex said:

Both 2060 and 5700 use around ~180 W (Non-reference models) with often the 5700 using slightly more, but the 5700 is also faster, so when the talk is efficiency they are basically identical.

The 5700/2060 are close to double the speed of the 970 on average when considering mostly modern titles, on GTA I believe it is something like 70% faster.

1 hour ago, KaitouX said:

Both 2060 and 5700 use around ~180 W (Non-reference models) with often the 5700 using slightly more, but the 5700 is also faster, so when the talk is efficiency they are basically identical.

The 5700/2060 are close to double the speed of the 970 on average when considering mostly modern titles, on GTA I believe it is something like 70% faster.

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

power-maximum.png

Great info thanks, I just took a look and might be able to stretch to an RX 5700 XT or RTX 2060 Super, this seems like it'll be an upgrade that's more worth it. Which one of these 2 is better, i suppose the RX 5700 xt, as long as the drivers aren't messed up?

linus made a video in December in which he and another person were split on their decision on which was better for the price range. the 5700 was the best performer but the 2060 had better features. so you should watch that video and here there is a pinned list of the current best GPUs of the different manufacturers.