HELP. Dell r510 OS Deployment

Joe James

I have owned a dell r200 for several years now, but i just picked up a r510 expecting it to be at least similar...... Nope! Skipping over all the other problems i have had, my newest one is os deployment. I was able to boot elementary off the usb, but without a mouse cursor. Thats not the os I wanted anyway, but since I got back to boo I figured I was good to go and download free nas. after multiple failed attempts at creating a bootable USB I finally supposedly succeeded. Yes the checksums matched. It was something to do with a drive letter assignment. Anyway, after trying to boot off of it it said no OS detected. So then I tried deploying the OS and it did not detect an OS on the USB either. I then tried windows on a different USB that I know works and that didn't work either. Anyone have any ideas?

This can be a common issue with server and some desktop platofrms where booting to USB doesn't always work. From my own experience the most successful application to use to create the bootable media has been DD. On Windows Rufus is also pretty good but it has its shortcomings.

Worst comes to worst you can cheat by installing the OS on a different computer then moving the drive over to this one. I've done this before with great success.

Fixed. The problem was my stupidity, the solution was my education. BIOS only supports a 2TB drive, oops. Needed UEFI.

9 hours ago, Joe James said:

Fixed. The problem was my stupidity, the solution was my education. BIOS only supports a 2TB drive, oops. Needed UEFI.

it's not recommended to run FreeNAS from a harddisk anyway, install it and boot it from a small SSD or USB stick instead, leaving

all the disks to FreeNAS itself.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro