B450-F doesn't post with 4 RAM sticks. and storage issues

IOFGreg

I'm running following setup:

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (Tower cooled)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2400

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT

Kingston A400 480 GB SATA SSD

8 year old Samsung 500GB SSD (i can't remember properly / boot device)

and I've got 3 actual issues:

1. Every now an then the motherboard won't recognize my boot device- requires me to enter the bios and re-select it.

- I'm assuming my old SSD beeing the problem here. so that'll be replaced shortly

2. I wanted to upgrade to 32GB of RAM so I bought another pair of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2400. But i can configure it any way i want, i won't post with all 4 in there.

I've notced, that the 2 pairs aren't actually from the same version (i only bought 3 months apart). but that shouldn't be an issue in my opinion: A1 old / A2 new / B1 old / B2 new.

As long as I only put 2 sticks in, everything works just fine (doesn't matter which pair or which slots)

3. When using minimal Overclocking on the CPU, the GPU or the VRAM (with the Radeom Software) my more demanding Games start crashing when I put them on really higher settings. (the newer Battlefield 1, Black Ops 4)

I'm thinking of upgrading, and the see how many of the issues still exist: Am I going in the right direction? Or is there maybe something completely wrong with my setup? or am I missing proper BIOS settings (i really don't know much about all the BIOS settings, so I'm guessing that could solve some Problems)

I'd buy following upgrades:

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3200)

Crucial P1 (1000GB, M.2 2280)

Thanks for any advice!

cheers

11 minutes ago, IOFGreg said:

I'm running following setup:

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (Tower cooled)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2400

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT

Kingston A400 480 GB SATA SSD

8 year old Samsung 500GB SSD (i can't remember properly / boot device)

and I've got 3 actual issues:

1. Every now an then the motherboard won't recognize my boot device- requires me to enter the bios and re-select it.

Start by updating the BIOS to the latest version, these UEFI bugs are more often than not fixed with a BIOS update.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Start by updating the BIOS to the latest version, these UEFI bugs are more often than not fixed with a BIOS update.

Well, I did about 2 months ago. didn't help.. should I do it again?

12 minutes ago, idwt said:

oops, i think you mightve forgotten to finish your post

Yes, i missclicked the first. it is now finished

1 minute ago, IOFGreg said:

Well, I did about 2 months ago. didn't help.. should I do it again?

In that case probably not. What cooler are you running? Is it stock or custom?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

In that case probably not. What cooler are you running? Is it stock or custom?

I'm running a LC-Power Cosmo Cool with a 120mm fan

Make sure to check the Qualified Vendors List of your motherboard, find your part number and see if it supports quad or dual channel.

Just now, IOFGreg said:

I'm running a LC-Power Cosmo Cool with a 120mm fan

Did installing it require you to remove the stock installation bracket from around the CPU socket and replace it with a different one or did you screw anything directly into the 4 holes around the CPU socket?

The reason I ask is because this problem can occur when a user overtightens a cooler and causes screw damage on the board which damages some traces.

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Did installing it require you to remove the stock installation bracket from around the CPU socket and replace it with a different one or did you screw anything directly into the 4 holes around the CPU socket?

The reason I ask is because this problem can occur when a user overtightens a cooler and causes screw damage on the board which damages some traces.

I could leave the stock brackets on the board. i only clipped the cooler on top

8 minutes ago, Ravz said:

Well I did see the QVL of your motherboard, only few Corsair RAM's support quad channel. So I highly suggest to match your part number in the QVL and see if it supports quad channel.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450_F_GAMING/Memory_QVL_AMD_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors_B450_4DIMM.pdf

As far as I am aware i should be able to run any 2 pairs of memory in dual channel. I may be really wrong but i've read that you just need to have the same amount of memory per channel for it to work. (which is why i tried putting each one old and one new ram stick per channel)

6 minutes ago, IOFGreg said:

I could leave the stock brackets on the board. i only clipped the cooler on top

As far as I am aware i should be able to run any 2 pairs of memory in dual channel. I may be really wrong but i've read that you just need to have the same amount of memory per channel for it to work. (which is why i tried putting each one old and one new ram stick per channel)

You're 100% correct, there's no reason why they would work fine as a matched pair or even a mixed pair but not work with all 4.

Just to 100% eliminate it as a variable go ahead and update to the latest BIOS, theres one from December 2019 for your board (though I doubt it will fix anything). Tangent - Your board has had a new BIOS update more recently than mine LMAO

17 minutes ago, Ravz said:

Well I did see the QVL of your motherboard, only few Corsair RAM's support quad channel. So I highly suggest to match your part number in the QVL and see if it supports quad channel.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450_F_GAMING/Memory_QVL_AMD_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors_B450_4DIMM.pdf

oh wait. i missunderstood you.

I checked, and yes you were right. it doesn't support quad channel..

but still, you can buy these ram sticks in pairs of 4. so i don't see any issue, since i'm not running it in quad channel mode.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You're 100% correct, there's no reason why they would work fine as a matched pair or even a mixed pair but not work with all 4.

Just to 100% eliminate it as a variable go ahead and update to the latest BIOS, theres one from December 2019 for your board (though I doubt it will fix anything). Tangent - Your board has had a new BIOS update more recently than mine LMAO

I just did update it again. actually I'm second-guessing wether or not the last bios update was succesfull. 

Should that potentially fix my issue Nr. 3 as well? well i'll be at least trying that out first.

14 minutes ago, IOFGreg said:

As I said before dual channel would work with one new and one old each. But for a quad channel to work, you need identical RAM's to work. In your case only few(probably 2-3) 2400MHz Corsair RAM's work on quad channel and remaining works only on dual channel.

7 minutes ago, IOFGreg said:

but still, you can buy these ram sticks in pairs of 4. so i don't see any issue, since i'm not running it in quad channel mode.

So how are you planning to run 32GB of RAM on your board? Also can you post the link of the RAM's that you're going to buy so that I can suggest you if the RAM's would work? How are you overclocking though? From the software?

Just now, Ravz said:

So how are you planning to run 32GB of RAM on your board?

alright. well, my board only has dual-channel. i'm not trying to have quad-channel

i'd be upgrading to Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8. but i don't want to buy them, as long as i don't know why the vengeance LPX didn't work..

6 minutes ago, IOFGreg said:

i'd be upgrading to Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8. but i don't want to buy them, as long as i don't know why the vengeance LPX didn't work..

Nvm, even if you buy 3200MHz 4x8GB sticks, it wouldn't work on your board since 3200MHz only supports 2 DIMM's. So I would suggest you to get 16GBx2 kits.

2 minutes ago, IOFGreg said:

alright. well, my board only has dual-channel. i'm not trying to have quad-channel

Your board supports quad channel but you are limited with only few to work on 2000 series CPU.

5 minutes ago, Ravz said:

Your board supports quad channel but you are limited with only few to work on 2000 series CPU.

7 minutes ago, Ravz said:

Nvm, even if you buy 3200MHz 4x8GB sticks, it wouldn't work on your board since 3200MHz only supports 2 DIMM's. So I would suggest you to get 16GBx2 kits.

ah, now i get it ! well then, thanks for your advive. just out of curiosity: where is that information?

18 minutes ago, Ravz said:

What the hell are you on about with your quad channel and everything else..

OP can install 4 sticks if he wants to and they will run in dual channel. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

11 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

What the hell are you on about with your quad channel and everything else..

OP can install 4 sticks if he wants to and they will run in dual channel. 

I know he can run on dual. But what's the point when the OP have 32gigs of RAM in hand and get only 16 while having all the 4 DIMM's allotted? Also he states that while all 4 DIMM's are allotted the PC won't post!!!

41 minutes ago, Ravz said:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

Look for 2000 series QVL since you have Ryzen 2700.

You keep linking back to the QVL likes its a god list or something. If OP can install one stick of the old RAM and one stick of the new RAM simultaneously and have the system POST fine then there's no reason why they cannot use them as 2 matched pairs together either.

Fun fact, the QVL for a board is simply a list of manufacturers willing to pay to be verified, it means nothing in the real world. Outside of high end specific RAM types (normally only found in servers or HEDTs) RAM is RAM.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Master Disaster said:

You keep linking back to the QVL likes its a god list or something. If OP can install one stick of the old RAM and one stick of the new RAM simultaneously and have the system POST fine then there's no reason why they cannot use them as 2 matched pairs together either.

Fun fact, the QVL for a board is simply a list of manufacturers willing to pay to be verified, it means nothing in the real world. Outside of high end specific RAM types (normally only found in servers or HEDTs) RAM is RAM.

That is quite what i thought. RAM is supposed to work in any MB specified to fit certain type and speed. no matter what manufacturer..

Well, i sadly sold the second pair after not being able to post with 4 sticks in. But it leaves me with the conclusion, that either my MB or the CPU does have a malfunction. is that what it looks like to you as well?

Leaves me with my 3rd issue: having demanding games on highest sttings will cause either the game and smetimes my complete card to crash (i wasn't specific in the post above) sometimes i can't get any output from the card anymore and have to hard-reset my pc.. i tried any ctrl+alt+del pr alt+f4 and waiting for literally an hour with no success.. only solution is not enabling any "overclock" in the radeon software. not even choosing the game-option, which enables anti-lag, image sharpening and advanced sync. 

I'm quite pissed about that since this is none the less a 450.- card in my area