3600 and 2070S build ideas/suggestions.

ivanrcks95

So currently planning a build for my father, something he can comfortably game on for the next 2/3 years and not have to worry. This is what i have thus far. Anyone have any suggestions on where i should spend more/spend less. PCPP doesnt let me pick separate coolers but the 3600 will be running a wraith max cooler.

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

So from what i can tell, a far worse MB, SSD, PSU, now memory i am curious about, i havent actually checked whether the 3600 and aorus pro support quad channel, that is definitely somewhere i can save some money.

1 minute ago, ivanrcks95 said:

So from what i can tell, a far worse MB, SSD, PSU, now memory i am curious about, i havent actually checked whether the 3600 and aorus pro support quad channel, that is definitely somewhere i can save some money.

actually a much better mb, ssd has the same memory controller, so it's identical but cheaper. psu is same quality, just cheaper. you don't need 750w. as for ram, ryzen doesn't use quad channel, and actually overclocks ram better with only two sticks. it's also 3600 vs the 3000 you have.

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

actually a much better mb, ssd has the same memory controller, so it's identical but cheaper. psu is same quality, just cheaper. you don't need 750w. as for ram, ryzen doesn't use quad channel, and actually overclocks ram better with only two sticks. it's also 3600 vs the 3000 you have.

Well for SSDs i used the Tier-List on this forum, the S11 pro is a Tier B, while the A80 is Tier E, unless im looking at the wrong one? PSU is more for comfort and peace of mind, since this is a PC i dont want him to worry about for a few years. Yes RAM i agree, might even go down to 16gb, since primarily he will only use it for gaming. As for the MB, im not sure but from the design and the coolers it looks like the Aorus is miles ahead, even the inclusion of a built in IO shield, coolers on the M.2 slots as well, unless theres something else im missing?

4 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Well for SSDs i used the Tier-List on this forum, the S11 pro is a Tier B, while the A80 is Tier E, unless im looking at the wrong one? PSU is more for comfort and peace of mind, since this is a PC i dont want him to worry about for a few years. Yes RAM i agree, might even go down to 16gb, since primarily he will only use it for gaming. As for the MB, im not sure but from the design and the coolers it looks like the Aorus is miles ahead, even the inclusion of a built in IO shield, coolers on the M.2 slots as well, unless theres something else im missing?

It's the silicon power a80 from tier b. So same tier.

Check out the motherboard tier list. The vrms and cooling on the msi board are much better than the ones on the aorus. I agree with the lack of features, but of you don't need the extra features, i'd be most interested in performance and temperatures.

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

It's the silicon power a80 from tier b. So same tier.

Check out the motherboard tier list. The vrms and cooling on the msi board are much better than the ones on the aorus. I agree with the lack of features, but of you don't need the extra features, i'd be most interested in performance and temperatures.

Right, yeah, just had a look, might look at a MSI 450 board with a few more features then, didnt realise the Aorus board was that much worse in power draw and cooling. Shame really, because the features it has for the price is top tier.

Just now, ivanrcks95 said:

Right, yeah, just had a look, might look at a MSI 450 board with a few more features then, didnt realise the Aorus board was that much worse in power draw and cooling. Shame really, because the features it has for the price is top tier.

The tomahawk is the top of the line msi b450. If that doesn't have the features you need, i'd look again at an aorus, but the x570 version, which is actually decent.

13 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

The tomahawk is the top of the line msi b450. If that doesn't have the features you need, i'd look again at an aorus, but the x570 version, which is actually decent.

What about the Asrock B450 Steel Legend? Seems to be a good middle ground of performance and features.

Or the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC is on sale at the moment, only 10$ more than the Aorus

2 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

What about the Asrock B450 Steel Legend? Seems to be a good middle ground of performance and features.

Are you drawn to RGB? Then look at the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

Better VRMs and more feature rich.

Really though for B450, the Tomahawk is the board to go with.

2 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Are you drawn to RGB? Then look at the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

Better VRMs and more feature rich.

Really though for B450, the Tomahawk is the board to go with.

Yeah just saw the Gaming Pro Carbon AC is on sale here, might be the one to go with, and unfortunately i cannot find any Tomahawks in stock in my country.

Yeah just saw the Gaming Pro Carbon AC is on sale here, might be the one to go with, and unfortunately i cannot find any Tomahawks in stock in my country.

the gaming pro carbon is about the same with the standout feature being wifi.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Perhaps the Mortar Max series? It's pretty much proportionate. 

So i think ill go with the Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16gb of 3200mhz ram, Ryzen 5 3600 with the wraith max cooler, silicon power P34A80 1tb, TX750M, Meshify C, and the windforce oc 3x 2070 super, this is mainly because of availability, no EVGA/(good tier)MSI/Strix cards available here, so the gigabyte seems to be the best i can do for now, same goes for the MB, the best option for the price i have so far, since the X570 boards are double, and no Tomahawk boards available anywhere without a 1month wait. 

How are we not talking about the $35 fans?  If we are talking about saving $10 then those fans have to be re-considered, right?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

How are we not talking about the $35 fans?  If we are talking about saving $10 then those fans have to be re-considered, right?

The best value i found for a 2 pack that comes with a controller (yes PCPP doesnt have it shown so i just picked two seperate), dont think ill need it but its a good future proof item to have in case theres a need to add more fans later on.

1 minute ago, ivanrcks95 said:

The best value i found for a 2 pack that comes with a controller (yes PCPP doesnt have it shown so i just picked two seperate), dont think ill need it but its a good future proof item to have in case theres a need to add more fans later on.

I'd consider those things a luxury.  I would point folks to a cable splitter and have them use the fan header on the board before recommending a controller.  Though I'm not against controllers.  

I'd also not start them off with expensive fans unless they wanted them.  If they want to buy more matching fans then they're stuck having to buy expensive ones.  I'm assuming your guy wants RGB?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

I'd consider those things a luxury.  I would point folks to a cable splitter and have them use the fan header on the board before recommending a controller.  Though I'm not against controllers.  

I'd also not start them off with expensive fans unless they wanted them.  If they want to buy more matching fans then they're stuck having to buy expensive ones.  I'm assuming your guy wants RGB?

Ive learned the hard way that you can never had to many fans, the meshify c seems to be decent in airflow, but just in case adding two intake 140s and keeping the exhaust 120 should do the trick, and no, my dad couldnt care less what the finished PC looks like, hence why 99% of the components lack rgb and are just plain black.

37 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

So i think ill go with the Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16gb of 3200mhz ram, Ryzen 5 3600 with the wraith max cooler, silicon power P34A80 1tb, TX750M, Meshify C, and the windforce oc 3x 2070 super, this is mainly because of availability, no EVGA/(good tier)MSI/Strix cards available here, so the gigabyte seems to be the best i can do for now, same goes for the MB, the best option for the price i have so far, since the X570 boards are double, and no Tomahawk boards available anywhere without a 1month wait. 

looks good. i'd still get the tx550 or 650 if significantly cheaper. you can't hit 750 without going sli.

also, are you buying the wraith max separately? if yes, why? there are much much better coolers on the market for the price.

28 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Ive learned the hard way that you can never had to many fans, the meshify c seems to be decent in airflow, but just in case adding two intake 140s and keeping the exhaust 120 should do the trick, and no, my dad couldnt care less what the finished PC looks like, hence why 99% of the components lack rgb and are just plain black.

Then I'd put some Noctua Redux fans in there.

https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-Bearing-NF-P14s-redux-1200-PWM/dp/B00KF7Q4WG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=noctua+140+redux&qid=1581946502&sr=8-3

Those are barely audible at full speed (the 1500 RPM version).  Though they are a hair slower than those Corsair fans.  

Edit:

I linked the 1200 RPM version.  I'd wait for the the 1500 RPM version to become available.  

I just saw the 2700X is on sale.  Any reason we aren't considering it?

6 minutes ago, nick name said:

I just saw the 2700X is on sale.  Any reason we aren't considering it?

Worse for gaming, dad has no intentions of using the PC as a "work" machine.

37 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

looks good. i'd still get the tx550 or 650 if significantly cheaper. you can't hit 750 without going sli.

also, are you buying the wraith max separately? if yes, why? there are much much better coolers on the market for the price.

The 3600 stock stealth cooler is average at best, and the price, at least for me of getting the 3600OEM with the wraith max separately comes to be the same price as the 3600BOX set.

6 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

The 3600 stock stealth cooler is average at best, and the price, at least for me of getting the 3600OEM with the wraith max separately comes to be the same price as the 3600BOX set.

but get the 3600 oem and a different cooler. the wrait max isn't much better