10GBe Switch

MartinIAm

Would the Arista DCS-7124SX-F be a good switch for 10 gigabit? I found it on eBay for $250 and I think for 24 ports of sfp+ is really good. Is $250 for a 10 gigabit, 24 port, layer 2/3 switch a good bang for it's buck? Planning to use it for my dual server setup for fast data transfer across them and multiple other computers on the network. What do you guys think?

The specs look good, but it's going to be deafeningly loud. If you have a server room, go for it. If it's in your living space, I'd think hard about how much noise you can tolerate. 

As the first reply pointed out: loud.  Very loud.  It's intended for a data center rack, not an office.  So bear that in mind.

Also, Arista isn't set up to deal with end users at all.  You're not going to get any support whatsoever through them, and that includes code updates.  So whatever code is running on it is all you're ever going to be able to use.  And, that may be OK for your purposes, but it's something to keep in mind.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

On 2/9/2020 at 7:07 PM, jasonvp said:

As the first reply pointed out: loud.  Very loud.  It's intended for a data center rack, not an office.  So bear that in mind.

Also, Arista isn't set up to deal with end users at all.  You're not going to get any support whatsoever through them, and that includes code updates.  So whatever code is running on it is all you're ever going to be able to use.  And, that may be OK for your purposes, but it's something to keep in mind.

Yea, I'm not planning to do anything too advanced with it anyway other than to use it's switching capacity and simple layer 3 functionalities.

On 2/9/2020 at 4:58 PM, Blue4130 said:

The specs look good, but it's going to be deafeningly loud. If you have a server room, go for it. If it's in your living space, I'd think hard about how much noise you can tolerate. 

Yes, I will be running this inside of a server room with other loud equipment so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

EDIT: I have bought and received the switch and yes, it is loud. At boot is is very loud, but even after it calms down it is my personal loudest switch I've ever owned, BUT I am fine with this as I'm not concerned about noise level and it was a good value.