Any decent device with a transflective display?

Lii

Hi

Usually I spend long times on reading, but with "normal" displays I'm getting sicks, but I found myself pretty good with transflective display, so I was wondering, if there was any decent device with it..

If you're asking about color displays, I think the only devices using that type of display are a few smart watches. Color transflective displays are obscenely expensive to manufacture, so we won't be seeing them any time soon in larger format screens. 

Have you consulted with a doctor about becoming ill when looking at backlit displays? That doesn't sound common and may point to an underlying issue.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

*had to look up what transflective meant*
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transflective_liquid-crystal_display

it sounds like Eink might work well too.  It’s a very low power use technology and is seen more often on Ereader tablets than desktop displays.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink

There are several such tablets with good reputations.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Depends on the usage, if its just for reading books, get an E-Book reader with a previous mentioned E-Ink display.
If for normal computer use you might have more luck making somehting yourself. You might not even have a choice even if you have a deep wallet.

https://www.impulse-embedded.co.uk/products/r15l100_ofa1_tr--Open-Frame-LCD-Display.htm

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

If you're asking about color displays, I think the only devices using that type of display are a few smart watches. Color transflective displays are obscenely expensive to manufacture, so we won't be seeing them any time soon in larger format screens. 

Now that I'm thinking of, it would be also great something like the display of the Sony SmartWatch 2, it coulded switch between a "normal" display, to a something like the transflective, dunno what it was 

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

Have you consulted with a doctor about becoming ill when looking at backlit displays? That doesn't sound common and may point to an underlying issue.

Well no, it's also because I basically spend all the day on looking in a screen, so I think that feeling somewhat drunk/tired should be normal..

However thanks, I should try the eink displays..

21 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

Now that I'm thinking of, it would be also great something like the display of the Sony SmartWatch 2, it coulded switch between a "normal" display, to a something like the transflective, dunno what it was 

Well no, it's also because I basically spend all the day on looking in a screen, so I think that feeling somewhat drunk/tired should be normal..

However thanks, I should try the eink displays..

Eink displays work in a totally different fashion from LCDs which provides weird advantages and disadvantages.  The biggest drawbacks of Eink is they are currently black and white only (and I do mean black and white. Greys are dithered) and they are incredibly slow.  Like slower than 2000 vintage super twist LCD.  They’re fantastic for reading long documents on a portable device and they suck for just about everything else.  
They have wild advantages too.  
-They display even when totally unpowered

-they’re not even transflective.  They’re straight up reflective.  It’s like looking at paper.

-They do this weird blurring thing which produces what amounts to constant autosmoothing making type look even sharper.

-they’re dirt cheap to make.  I’ve seen decent used kindle paper whites on sale on eBay for $40.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Eink displays work in a totally different fashion from LCDs which provides weird advantages and disadvantages.  The biggest drawbacks of Eink is they are currently black and white only (and I do mean black and white. Greys are dithered) and they are incredibly slow.  Like slower than 2000 vintage super twist LCD.  They’re fantastic for reading long documents on a portable device and they suck for just about everything else.  
They have wild advantages too.  
-They display even when totally unpowered

-they’re not even transflective.  They’re straight up reflective.  It’s like looking at paper.

-They do this weird blurring thing which produces what amounts to constant autosmoothing making type look even sharper.

Oh about blurring.. When I extremely lower down the brightness of my "normal" display devices, usually when scrolling text, the background somewhat ghostes up to the text.. Should I have similar issues with the eink?

Just now, Xvaster said:

Oh about blurring.. When I extremely lower down the brightness of my "normal" display devices, usually when scrolling text, the background somewhat ghostes up to the text.. Should I have similar issues with the eink?

Best to watch a video on it to get an idea of what I mean. 

here’s one on how the technology functions

This one is kind of similar but the guy talks about using them