eGPU card in a desktop motherboard?

Bitter

Yeah you can remove the rx580 and put it in a PC, if you wanted. It's not a very pretty looking card but it'll work fine. 

source:

https://egpu.io/gigabyte-rx-580-gaming-box-review-little-middle/ 

Unless you're getting the box for a lot cheaper than a normal rx580 I'm not sure why you would though. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I have the chance to buy a RX580 from a Gigabyte Gaming Box at possibly a great discount.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-RX580IXEB-8GD#kf

What I need to know is would that pop into a PC and just work or is there something special about this card that makes it only work in the eGPU box?

So you can buy the egpu box with the 580 in there for less than the price of a generic rx 580?

Yes you can just plop it in your pc and it should work fine.

Is a laptop or desktop ? 

It plug and play but I would install the drivers for the box on the pc if laptop if it a desktop then rather go for a internal card.

7 minutes ago, AndrewB121 said:

Yeah you can remove the rx580 and put it in a PC, if you wanted. It's not a very pretty looking card but it'll work fine. 

source:

https://egpu.io/gigabyte-rx-580-gaming-box-review-little-middle/ 

Unless you're getting the box for a lot cheaper than a normal rx580 I'm not sure why you would though. 

Not sure what the price will end at but I expect well under $100, but it may not work since it's listed as not powering on so I thought I'd google if an eGPU card worked in desktop and got no helpful results and here we are now.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So you can buy the egpu box with the 580 in there for less than the price of a generic rx 580?

Yes you can just plop it in your pc and it should work fine.

It's just the card from the box, but for some reason it doesn't power on so I wasn't sure if it was an issue with it being specific to the box or just a bum card. Might be a bum card which is a bummer.

7 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

Is a laptop or desktop ? 

It plug and play but I would install the drivers for the box on the pc if laptop if it a desktop then rather go for a internal card.

Desktop