Visual design choices

Show action button always or on hover  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Show action button always or on hover

• Hovered over
    • Always

Lets look at spotify as an example. In the playlist they show heart icons for all songs but "play" button is showed only when hovered over

Not hovered over:

spotify_none.thumb.png.8e771d7018d6e9b6ff61142d7562b700.png

Hovered over

spotify_one.thumb.png.13826a091d4bfb5ad416184b8d47ac4f.png

I am creating an app where there is a similar grid and now i want to add an action icon next to title. Which approach would you prefer?

Poll: https://strawpoll.com/4cxc255h

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

Just now, lewdicrous said:

How many of these are you gonna post? Jesus..

They got removed since the original app was a torrent app. Even though I only seek design advice. Sorry for multiple posts

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

I’ll take this as a usability survey.  My understanding is that usability engineering is an outgrowth of anthropology, and as such is based on such surveys.  Frequently large numbers of them.  
I’m going to go with liking hover in the context Spotify used it.  Less stuff on the screen is often better.  It strikes me as something that could easily be overdone though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.