scratch disk vs cache disk? new workstation help

Arleccino

I am a little lost as to what should be a scratch disk and what should be a cache disk.

My new PC that I plan to use for Davinci Resolve and Blender is running a 2700X, Radeon VII and 32Gb ram (plans to double that in the near future). For my OS (Windows 10) and program installation (again only Davinci and Blender) I will use a 256Gb SSD.

I have have 512Gb Nvme, and a 1Tb SSD but I am usure which to allocated as cache and which as the scratch disk. I also have a 4Tb HDD that will be used for archival/mass storage (using the DIYPerks tutorial video to mod the case for a one button auto back--up solution).

Any advice for what drive should be used for what (and why) woul be grwatly aprreciated.

----

PS. Parts are all purchased, and outside of any return window.

I have a gaming desk with a Ryzen 2600, 16Gb RAM, 5700XT  that also runs to a 55" Samsung RU8000 TV for when I want to game. So the new build is purely for productivity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 9:01 AM, Shimejii said:

Use NVME for Scratch disk, tends to do better :)

Thanks. I think I have a better understanding of how the two concepts works now.

Cache: I move all the project files I will be working on/with to this drive for the programs to quickly access (compared to the mechanical mass storage I otherwise keep eveything).

Scratch: this is were I set the programs to store the temporary data files that they create as I work on the project. I use fast drive here to reduce the time taken as writes and references the in progree project data. This is, in essence, to be a sacrificial drive as the regular writes to it will shorten the life span copared to the other drives in the system.

Cache is not useful for files that regularly change. It will work fine with apps, games and OS that while do update here and there, they are the same majority of the time, but for projects, you'll have to use a scratch drive as every project will be a new content and cache won't help you there. That especially applies if you're finishing projects in one go. If you have to repeatedly open it and modify it, cache might slightly help. But faster scratch drive will probably help more.