ipv4 support on modern hardware

Go to solution Solved by DELSMAN,

So I contacted my Internet provider, and as expected, they set up the modem wrong. Now it is set-up correctly and port-forwarding is enabled. Thanks for the replies!

Hello,

So I am new to this forum, made this account because I got confused by my something my internet provider (short: Inet-prov) said to me.

My modem (from my Inet-prov) is set up in ipv6, but this setup does not allow port-forwarding for my VPN connection to my RB-pi. 

In my contact with customer-services, they said they can switch this to IPV4 and then port-forwarding will be supported, but newer cell-phones then might not have internet in my network.

This is where i start scratching my head, bc to my knowledge, my RB-Pi (set up with Pi-Hole) allready only distributes IPV4- adresses to any client, and i have had no troubles with connectivity yet.

Can anyone tell me how -or even if-  the claim of my internet provider is true? it seems ridiculous to me.

Cheers from The Netherlands,

Dick

The only way that would be the case is if you have a phone that doesn't support IPv4. As far as I know, there are no phones that have IPv6 exclusively and I don't see why any phone maker would implement it that way. 

53 minutes ago, DELSMAN said:

In my contact with customer-services, they said they can switch this to IPV4 and then port-forwarding will be supported, but newer cell-phones then might not have internet in my network.

That doesn't make sense, any local network is automatically IPv4, IPv6 was only created because we don't have enough public IPs with IPv4. That's not an issue with local networks.

Not sure what that ISP rep was talking about, but IMO he's not knowledgeable in that field.

So in short, forget what he said about recent phones not working.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

39 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

That doesn't make sense, any local network is automatically IPv4, IPv6 was only created because we don't have enough public IPs with IPv4. That's not an issue with local networks.

IPv6 does have uses on local networks, it wasn't just built just because of a lack of public IPs, even though that the major factor. The use of multicast, stateless auto-configuration and built in IPSec are all good reasons to use it in a local network. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

IPv6 does have uses on local networks, it wasn't just built just because of a lack of public IPs, even though that the major factor. The use of multicast, stateless auto-configuration and built in IPSec are all good reasons to use it in a local network. 

All true, but I was oversimplifying for the OP's sake.

Pretty sure he doesn't need any IPv6 features if he didn't realize newer phones would still work in IPv4 ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I don't see that anyone mentioned that IPv6 does not have Port Forwarding, Port Forwarding is necessary when using NAT and IPv6 does not have NAT. All IPv6 IP's are internet route-able. Finally as was stated currently most providers utilize dual stack connections meaning both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time. It's possible to use only IPv6 and a 6to4 solution to allow ipv4 access but that is unusual. 

• 2 months later...

So I contacted my Internet provider, and as expected, they set up the modem wrong. Now it is set-up correctly and port-forwarding is enabled. Thanks for the replies!