which graphics card?

DominicNikon

Hello, i'm looking at buying a new gpu either a evga RTX 2070 super ftw 3 or the evga RTX 2080 super hydro copper because i will be putting either card into a custom loop. I will be using the cards on a ryzen 9 3900x cpu and playing games at 1440p 144hz and benchmarking/overclocking. i'm currently running two GTX 980s in sli, which card would you get and why? 

For watercooling the block can be quite important so I’d see if either even had a decent full coverage block available that fit it in the first place and what it cost.  If only one did the question becomes much simpler.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

For watercooling the block can be quite important so I’d see if either even had a decent full coverage block available that fit it in the first place and what it cost.  If only one did the question becomes much simpler.

The 2080 comes with a pre installed waterblock but the 2070 does not

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3289-KR

19 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

The 2080 comes with a pre installed waterblock but the 2070 does not

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3289-KR

So what is the pricing difference?  If the 2080 with a block is the same price as the 2070and a block it’s kinda of a no brainer unless the 2080 block is total crap.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So what is the pricing difference?  If the 2080 with a block is the same price as the 2070and a block it’s kinda of a no brainer unless the 2080 block is total crap.

Rtx 2070 is about $170 cheaper then a 2080. I haven't heard anything bad about Evgas hydro copper waterblock 

6 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Rtx 2070 is about $170 cheaper then a 2080. I haven't heard anything bad about Evgas hydro copper waterblock 

Well there you go then.  Is it worth $170 to you?  One argument is that the current highest estimate of the gpu power of the upcoming consoles puts it in the 2070s range, so there’s one possible argument for the 2080.  Who knows if it’s actually true though.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Is it worth $170 to you?

probably. how much extra performance does the rtx 2080 super provide for the extra $170?

14 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

probably. how much extra performance does the rtx 2080 super provide for the extra $170?

Quick benchmark at 4k shows difference (yes I know you playing 1440p)

238464EF-D352-4538-9060-9A9D5A99EFA8.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

21 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Quick benchmark at 4k shows difference (yes I know you playing 1440p)

The 2080 averages 7 fps more then the 2070, that's not bad. 

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

The 2080 averages 7 fps more then the 2070, that's not bad. 

Yes and like I said this benchmarks are in 4k so when you planning to play at 1440p the difference will be bigger. Imo it’s definitely worth extra $170 to get 2080 super

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

18 hours ago, Whiro said:

Imo it’s definitely worth extra $170 to get 2080 super

Just wondering, why do many different reviewers say that the RTX 2080 super is not worth the money for the performance? 

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Just wondering, why do many different reviewers say that the RTX 2080 super is not worth the money for the performance? 

Because it’s a high end card.  All the high end cards are like that.  The higher end you go the less price/performance there is.   You want bang/buck you go with mid range. 

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

All the high end cards are like that.

oh, i did not know that

@Bombastinator Any thoughts on the GTX 1080ti? I have the money for an RTX 2080 super but i watched Gamers Nexus review on the 2080 and the 1080ti was about equal in performance while saving some money. 

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

@Bombastinator Any thoughts on the GTX 1080ti? I have the money for an RTX 2080 super but i watched Gamers Nexus review on the 2080 and the 1080ti was about equal in performance while saving some money. 

It kind of depends on what you’re doing iirc.  The difference between the Nvidia cards is every time they do a refresh they bump the performance to the next level.  The rtx on the Nvidia cards that gives them their “20” status isn’t very useful atm.  It might matter if the hardware raytracing on jaguar2 gets used.  Imho it’s kind of a hard call because it entails predictions about the future.  I personally bought a cheapo card that does barely what I need and am waiting on the console releases to further define what will be needed.