Ultra low latency mode for from software games

Ebony Falcon

Hi all, so is it worth using the ultra low latency mode in games like dark souls 3, sekiro ect

there locked at 60 FPS so is ultra low latency mode going to give you a few extra frames to react to things ? 

also what about setting like ulmb in the monitor? 
Do you think stuff like having clearer motion will help as as apoused to gsync? 

system is a 2080 and a 8700k 5ghz and a 1440p 144hz gsync/ulmb monitor 

inb4 “git gud”

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Not worth it when you have a 144hz monitor.

under 90 I could see a benefit but doubling the FPS is a better solution.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

16 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Not worth it when you have a 144hz monitor.

under 90 I could see a benefit but doubling the FPS is a better solution.

Yeah but those games are locked at 60 FPS 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

5 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Hi all, so is it worth using the ultra low latency mode in games like dark souls 3, sekiro ect

there locked at 60 FPS so is ultra low latency mode going to give you a few extra frames to react to things ? 

also what about setting like ulmb in the monitor? 
Do you think stuff like having clearer motion will help as as apoused to gsync? 

system is a 2080 and a 8700k 5ghz and a 1440p 144hz gsync/ulmb monitor 

inb4 “git gud”

Low-latency modes in monitors/tv's bypass the frame interpolation and rescaling systems, so they only "work" if the game runs at the native monitor specs to begin with and aren't being rescaled by the monitor or GPU.

If a game has a specific "low latency" mode, my guess is that it's designed to work with the above feature and tighten the input loop. It would only help in offline games, and software emulators for 8/16-bit consoles though. If you're running at 144hz, that may have the opposite effect if the game is designed/locked for 60hz. Because in order to run a game at 144hz it has to 2.4 frames per natural frame. So if the game has a "60fps" calculation going, and you run at 144hz, it probably favors delaying every third frame, so you end up with 2(2.4)-2(4.8)-3(7.2)-2(9.6)-2(11.8)-3(14.2)-2(16.6)-3(19)

So with 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-3, 19 sync frames are required to display 8 frames of the game. So if your input loop starts on a duplicated frame it might be ignored.