Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bullzy

Possible broken motherboard.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I originally thought that I had bought a dead PSU so I have replaced it and my computer still won’t power on which I think may be due to a faulty motherboard is there any way of testing this?

 

I when I power on my system nothing powers on whatsoever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you certain you have everything plugged in correctly? Does anything at all happen when you press the power button (fans spinning, motherboard lights, the power supply turning on, etc)? 

 

If it was a broken CPU, the mobo would power on when pressing the power button, but the system wouldn't post. Same with RAM or in some cases your video card.

 

 


Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600AF, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16 GB Trident Z Royal @3000Mhz , Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4, Storage: 1x 500Gb Intel 545s 500Gb SSD (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Turbo LED

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

Are you certain you have everything plugged in correctly? Does anything at all happen when you press the power button (fans spinning, motherboard lights, the power supply turning on, etc)? 

 

If it was a broken CPU, the mobo would power on when pressing the power button, but the system wouldn't post. Same with RAM or in some cases your video card.

Usually unless something's really gone wrong with a motherboard, you can still get some power to it even if it's dead. There's a difference between all dead and mostly dead ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a new build? 

If so, make sure your PSU is actually switched on

 

Had this problem once with a PC I had pulled out from storage.


Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Usually unless something's really gone wrong with a motherboard, you can still get some power to it even if it's dead. There's a difference between all dead and mostly dead ;)

Literally nothing happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Adorable Cat said:

Are you certain you have everything plugged in correctly? Does anything at all happen when you press the power button (fans spinning, motherboard lights, the power supply turning on, etc)? 

 

If it was a broken CPU, the mobo would power on when pressing the power button, but the system wouldn't post. Same with RAM or in some cases your video card.

 

 

I’ve tried multiple times and nothing happens, testing my psu it works so do you think it could be my cpu?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bullzy said:

I’ve tried multiple times and nothing happens, testing my psu it works so do you think it could be my cpu?

If literally nothing happens and the psu works it's not the cpu like mentioned it would atleast post if the cpu was dead so It looks like a dead mobo

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you don't have a faulty case switch messing with you here.

Double-check the header connections on the board to the powerswitch and make sure it's in the correct place.

 

If you must you can try jumping/ shorting the powerswitch header pins manually to be sure it's not the switch itself causing issues.

If the board doesn't get the signal from the switch to start, the PSU itself never gets the "power on" signal from the board it needs to do so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Make sure you don't have a faulty case switch messing with you here.

Double-check the header connections on the board to the powerswitch and make sure it's in the correct place.

 

If you must you can try jumping/ shorting the powerswitch header pins manually to be sure it's not the switch itself causing issues.

If the board doesn't get the signal from the switch to start, the PSU itself never gets the "power on" signal from the board it needs to do so. 

Yup just do that, small help 👇

 

6C77DF52-3323-4B18-8B7C-C99C1BDB4ED1.jpeg


   @Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz  |  CM Hyper 212 Black  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD

 

                                          WHIRO

         THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

 

        He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be sure it's clear - With the above example the header for the powerswitch is within JFP1 and the pins themselves are pins 6 and 8. To jump/short these, you simply connect these directly together momentarily with a piece of small wire or something similar - That's it.


Be sure, however your board is layed out you know where these are but the procedure itself is the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I recently brought a asus prime b450m-a motherboard(new) , and today I brought 500 Watt be quiet psu(new) , i don't have CPU, because I'm buying monthly new parts, 

 

So I decided I want to test if my motherboard is working, I plugged everything in, just 24 pin and 8 pin, and it would not do a single thing want I turned in on, not even fans spinning, I don't get motherboard is brand new, I tried with a screwdriver to turn in on myself still motherboard is showing no life. 

 

Is it the cpu? , because there is no cpu motherboard decided to play dead or something, 

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ibro79 said:

Hello, I recently brought a asus prime b450m-a motherboard(new) , and today I brought 500 Watt be quiet psu(new) , i don't have CPU, because I'm buying monthly new parts, 

 

So I decided I want to test if my motherboard is working, I plugged everything in, just 24 pin and 8 pin, and it would not do a single thing want I turned in on, not even fans spinning, I don't get motherboard is brand new, I tried with a screwdriver to turn in on myself still motherboard is showing no life. 

 

Is it the cpu? , because there is no cpu motherboard decided to play dead or something, 

 

Thanks 

Without a CPU and RAM it won't work period.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ibro79 said:

Hello, I recently brought a asus prime b450m-a motherboard(new) , and today I brought 500 Watt be quiet psu(new) , i don't have CPU, because I'm buying monthly new parts, 

 

So I decided I want to test if my motherboard is working, I plugged everything in, just 24 pin and 8 pin, and it would not do a single thing want I turned in on, not even fans spinning, I don't get motherboard is brand new, I tried with a screwdriver to turn in on myself still motherboard is showing no life. 

 

Is it the cpu? , because there is no cpu motherboard decided to play dead or something, 

 

Thanks 

Try to take out engine from the car and see if it starts 😂 no way mobo will give any signs of life without cpu or ram 


   @Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz  |  CM Hyper 212 Black  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD

 

                                          WHIRO

         THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

 

        He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Make sure you don't have a faulty case switch messing with you here.

Double-check the header connections on the board to the powerswitch and make sure it's in the correct place.

 

If you must you can try jumping/ shorting the powerswitch header pins manually to be sure it's not the switch itself causing issues.

If the board doesn't get the signal from the switch to start, the PSU itself never gets the "power on" signal from the board it needs to do so. 

I’ve attempted to jump it but got nothing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, Whiro said:

Try to take out engine from the car and see if it starts 😂 no way mobo will give any signs of life without cpu or ram 

I watched a video and he managed to get the fans to spin lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Whiro said:

Try to take out engine from the car and see if it starts 😂 no way mobo will give any signs of life without cpu or ram 

There is ram, the damn fans should at last try to 

spin or something 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×