Possible broken motherboard.

I originally thought that I had bought a dead PSU so I have replaced it and my computer still won’t power on which I think may be due to a faulty motherboard is there any way of testing this?

I when I power on my system nothing powers on whatsoever.

Are you certain you have everything plugged in correctly? Does anything at all happen when you press the power button (fans spinning, motherboard lights, the power supply turning on, etc)? 

If it was a broken CPU, the mobo would power on when pressing the power button, but the system wouldn't post. Same with RAM or in some cases your video card.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

Are you certain you have everything plugged in correctly? Does anything at all happen when you press the power button (fans spinning, motherboard lights, the power supply turning on, etc)? 

If it was a broken CPU, the mobo would power on when pressing the power button, but the system wouldn't post. Same with RAM or in some cases your video card.

Usually unless something's really gone wrong with a motherboard, you can still get some power to it even if it's dead. There's a difference between all dead and mostly dead ;)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Is this a new build? 

If so, make sure your PSU is actually switched on

Had this problem once with a PC I had pulled out from storage.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Usually unless something's really gone wrong with a motherboard, you can still get some power to it even if it's dead. There's a difference between all dead and mostly dead ;)

Literally nothing happens.

1 hour ago, Adorable Cat said:

I’ve tried multiple times and nothing happens, testing my psu it works so do you think it could be my cpu?

3 hours ago, Bullzy said:

I’ve tried multiple times and nothing happens, testing my psu it works so do you think it could be my cpu?

If literally nothing happens and the psu works it's not the cpu like mentioned it would atleast post if the cpu was dead so It looks like a dead mobo

Make sure you don't have a faulty case switch messing with you here.

Double-check the header connections on the board to the powerswitch and make sure it's in the correct place.

If you must you can try jumping/ shorting the powerswitch header pins manually to be sure it's not the switch itself causing issues.

If the board doesn't get the signal from the switch to start, the PSU itself never gets the "power on" signal from the board it needs to do so. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Double-check the header connections on the board to the powerswitch and make sure it's in the correct place.

If you must you can try jumping/ shorting the powerswitch header pins manually to be sure it's not the switch itself causing issues.

If the board doesn't get the signal from the switch to start, the PSU itself never gets the "power on" signal from the board it needs to do so. 

Yup just do that, small help ?

6C77DF52-3323-4B18-8B7C-C99C1BDB4ED1.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Just to be sure it's clear - With the above example the header for the powerswitch is within JFP1 and the pins themselves are pins 6 and 8. To jump/short these, you simply connect these directly together momentarily with a piece of small wire or something similar - That's it.

Be sure, however your board is layed out you know where these are but the procedure itself is the same.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Hello, I recently brought a asus prime b450m-a motherboard(new) , and today I brought 500 Watt be quiet psu(new) , i don't have CPU, because I'm buying monthly new parts, 

So I decided I want to test if my motherboard is working, I plugged everything in, just 24 pin and 8 pin, and it would not do a single thing want I turned in on, not even fans spinning, I don't get motherboard is brand new, I tried with a screwdriver to turn in on myself still motherboard is showing no life. 

Is it the cpu? , because there is no cpu motherboard decided to play dead or something, 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Ibro79 said:

Hello, I recently brought a asus prime b450m-a motherboard(new) , and today I brought 500 Watt be quiet psu(new) , i don't have CPU, because I'm buying monthly new parts, 

So I decided I want to test if my motherboard is working, I plugged everything in, just 24 pin and 8 pin, and it would not do a single thing want I turned in on, not even fans spinning, I don't get motherboard is brand new, I tried with a screwdriver to turn in on myself still motherboard is showing no life. 

Is it the cpu? , because there is no cpu motherboard decided to play dead or something, 

Thanks 

Without a CPU and RAM it won't work period.

1 hour ago, Ibro79 said:

Thanks 

Try to take out engine from the car and see if it starts ? no way mobo will give any signs of life without cpu or ram 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

8 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I’ve attempted to jump it but got nothing

7 hours ago, Whiro said:

Try to take out engine from the car and see if it starts ? no way mobo will give any signs of life without cpu or ram 

I watched a video and he managed to get the fans to spin lol 

11 hours ago, Whiro said:

There is ram, the damn fans should at last try to 

spin or something