Starting my first build! Looking for recommendations!

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

the whole z390 being a “dead platform” thing is something which might or might not be debated, and it’s an Nvidia card which has its own streaming stuff so that might or might not be an issue.  I’m just going to avoid that debate myself.

Just for clarity, and to get stuff all on the same app, this is a partial list of what you got, yes/no?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vPnzZf

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($493.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($162.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  ($719.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1736.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-11 12:40 EST-0500

I don’t stream.  Would noise from the machine be an issue for streaming?  Also would streaming increase memory requirements a lot?

If noise is not an issue nothing below matters:

The below:

You’ve got AIO water for GPU and air for cpu.  With overclock on the CPU both will be producing around the same amount of heat, but the GPU has a cooler that has been constrained in size and shape by the slot.  
If the CPU overclock is low or non existent the CPU will be producing a lot less heat but have more and more expensive cooling on it.

There may be ways to get similar performance with less total noise for around the same money by going air for CPU and water for GPU.  AIO water coolers have to my experience this nasty habit of having functionally unremovable bubbles which raise their noise levels drastically.

So I’m a very competitive league of legends player. I do however play several other games like WoW, KOTOR, COD, Final fantasy, ect. I’ve been gaming on an Acer nitro 5 which is running an i5-7300hq, a 1050ti and 8gbs of ram at 2133mhz. I’ve been using this for about 2 years now and it’s time for an upgrade. I used to stream on my laptop but it can’t handle gaming while streaming any more as it causes the frames to severely drop on any game I play. (I hit like 120-150fps on LOL normally, but when streaming it drops to the 70s) so I’ve decided it’s time to build a desktop and reserve this for strictly on the go gaming. my parts list is as follows.

Corsair iCUE 220T mid tower in black

Gigabyte Z390 Auros Master Mobo 

Intel i9-9900k cpu

Gigabyte 2080 super wind force oc edition gpu

Corsair rm850x psu

Asia horse cable extensions in white

Corsair iCUE H150i rgb pro xt cooler 

Corsair vengeance rgb pro 32gb kit 3200mh blk 

Corsair LL120 rgb Pwm fans 3pk to replace the stock aio fans. 
Samsung 970 evo plus m.2 ssd 1tb for boot 

Seagate barraCuda 2tb hdd for pictures/steam library/music (might change to wd black)

For Windows I’m just gonna get a key off eBay

I went all steelseries for my peripherals.

Arctis pro headset with game dac 

rival 600 mouse set at 3200dpi & 5000dpi

Apex pro keyboard

For a monitor I will be using 

Asus ROD strix XG258Q 240hz 1ms response time with G-sync hooked up using an ivanky dp cable. May get a second monitor in the future but not yet.

For my streaming camera I will be using the logitech HD pro c920 webcam

I mainly use stream labs obs when streaming and I don’t play my ps4 anymore so I don’t think a capture card is necessary. I do however have a large collection of old game systems but I’m just sure how that would work if I wanted to stream them being that they are so old.

Hold the hate please I’m really just looking for advice or help. I have a 1 year old so I don’t go out much so pc gaming has been a large part of my everyday. I know it’s pricey but I don’t want to have to upgrade anything for at least the next 4 years if possible. Thank you for the help!!

I think the 3900X would be a smarter choice instead of the 9900K because of a couple reasons - Z390 is a dead platform at this point, and you'd have nothing to upgrade to from a 9900K, and the 3900X has 4 extra cores, making it better for multi-tasking (and streaming).

I'd suggest considering air cooling, instead of going with an AIO such as the H150i, as they can get quite expensive and are not as reliable as regular heatsinks, but the higher-end dual-tower models especially can be quite bulky, and assuming you picked the H150i because of the cleaner looks, you could also just go with it.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I think the 3900X would be a smarter choice instead of the 9900K because of a couple reasons - Z390 is a dead platform at this point, and you'd have nothing to upgrade to from a 9900K, and the 3900X has 4 extra cores, making it better for multi-tasking (and streaming).

I'd suggest considering air cooling, instead of going with an AIO such as the H150i, as they can get quite expensive and are not as reliable as regular heatsinks, but the higher-end dual-tower models especially can be quite bulky, and assuming you picked the H150i because of the cleaner looks, you could also just go with it.

Good build, one note tho… I understand the Z390 platform isn't viable past the 9900K (dead implies it's worthless),is it really realistic to keep hyping the AM4 platform as some serious option to upgrade from the 3900X?

99% of users won't upgrade in 6 months to the last AM4 chip from the 3 series.  

9900K isn't as dead and gone as AM4 lovers want to say.  It still beats ass and competes with the 3900X easily.  Also, if you do upgrade from the 3900X to the 4900X (for example), the cash outlay will be quite severe.  Realistic?

3900X or 9900K, both are fantastic flagships.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

2 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Good build, one note tho… I understand the Z390 platform isn't viable past the 9900K (dead implies it's worthless),is it really realistic to keep hyping the AM4 platform as some serious option to upgrade from the 3900X?

99% of users won't upgrade in 6 months to the last AM4 chip from the 3 series.  

9900K isn't as dead and gone as AM4 lovers want to say.  It still beats ass and competes with the 3900X easily.  Also, if you do upgrade from the 3900X to the 4900X (for example), the cash outlay will be quite severe.  Realistic?

3900X or 9900K, both are fantastic flagships.

If I really was an "AM4 lover", I probably wouldn't have had a Z390 build myself haha. 

While I do agree with you that both the 3900X and 9900K are great options, as time goes by it seems that Intel comes out ahead in terms of performance in fewer and fewer tasks, and especially in OP's case, more cores won't do any harm. 

Ryzen CPUs tend to drop in price dramatically as the next generation launches, so while most people won't upgrade right away a few months later to the latest flagship, in a couple of years you might be able to find a real bargain in the used market for something like a 3950X, for example. I'm not saying the AM4 platform offers 10 years of upgradability or anything, but it certainly offers a lot more than Intel's current offering. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

the whole z390 being a “dead platform” thing is something which might or might not be debated, and it’s an Nvidia card which has its own streaming stuff so that might or might not be an issue.  I’m just going to avoid that debate myself.

Just for clarity, and to get stuff all on the same app, this is a partial list of what you got, yes/no?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vPnzZf

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($493.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($162.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  ($719.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1736.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-11 12:40 EST-0500

I don’t stream.  Would noise from the machine be an issue for streaming?  Also would streaming increase memory requirements a lot?

If noise is not an issue nothing below matters:

The below:

You’ve got AIO water for GPU and air for cpu.  With overclock on the CPU both will be producing around the same amount of heat, but the GPU has a cooler that has been constrained in size and shape by the slot.  
If the CPU overclock is low or non existent the CPU will be producing a lot less heat but have more and more expensive cooling on it.

There may be ways to get similar performance with less total noise for around the same money by going air for CPU and water for GPU.  AIO water coolers have to my experience this nasty habit of having functionally unremovable bubbles which raise their noise levels drastically.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

I’ve always preferred intel over amd for gaming. Intel has always gotten higher benchmarks in the gaming area which is really what I’m building the pc for. Although I do hear you and the more threads.

Can this be not about whether RED or BLUE is better but about what would best serve the OP?

I reiterate my Question: Does this need to be a quietest possible system or not? (I honestly don’t know)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Seethrepio said:

I’ve always preferred intel over amd for gaming. Intel has always gotten higher benchmarks in the gaming area which is really what I’m building the pc for. Although I do hear you and the more threads.

Fair enough. I mean, 8C/16T is still plenty for almost any task at the moment, especially with a good overclock. 4.9-5GHz should be fairly obtainable on a 9900K with an H150i and a good motherboard. Also check if you can find any good deals on a 9900KS for a better binned chip, pretty much guaranteed to hit 5+ GHz, though I'd only suggest going for it if it's within ~$20 max of the 9900K.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Can this be not about whether RED or BLUE is better but about what would best serve the OP?

I reiterate my Question: Does this need to be a quietest possible system or not? (I honestly don’t know)

My headset doesn’t pick up background noise so being quiet or not isn’t a concern really. However I’m not really a fan of how air coolers look which is why I went with the aio personally.