Best CPU Upgrade for DL380p Gen8

XPEric

I have a HP DL380p G8 that I use for virtualization and I’d like to upgrade the CPUs to something with more cores. I currently have two E5-2643v1 installed. It looks like the best option on the official approved hardware list is a E5-2690v2. Does anyone know if this supports anything better?

You can put in any CPU of those two generations, there's lots of OEM specific SKUs on ebay that will work that have come out of the big hyperscalers that are cheaper than some of the standard SKUs. Really just find the best price one you want, though I doubt you actually need such a high core count so maybe look at the more balanced high clock ones like the E5-2687Wv2 as it'll perform better in a wider range of tasks than the highest core count options.

for HP stuff always search for the "quickspecs" document and it'll give you all the supported hardware:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123238

also the "p" at the end of the name means yours is a "performance" SKU and as such will come pre-populated with some of the best performing gear, as you cant buy a DL380p with entry level specs. (or it'll be a DL380 sku)

also "better" is subjective. your processor is 10 cores @ 3.0 Ghz, there's an 8core 3.3, 12 core 2.7, and a 4 core 3.5 available at the top end (130w)

sorry i misread what you said. yes there are a lot of processors suported that are "better" than yours :) if you want "the best" look for the ones pushing 130W TDP