Expected performance in Modern Warfare

razersurf

Hey, I've got a 1060 6GB that's been overclocked plus an i7 3770 (non-K) with 16gb of DDR3 1600mhz ram. 144hz 1080p monitor.

My question is as follows; how well should this perform in modern titles? I really struggle to run modern warfare ground war well, even with everything on low.. I would've thought this would perform better, as of now I've got anywhere from 40-100 fps on groundwar, but maps like Krovnik farmland is almost unplayable because of the jittering. I've tried it with the stock clock and with various overclocks so it's not caused by an unstable overclock either. Other gamemodes work fine, but I'm still limited to low/ normal in order to have a decently playable fps for a "competitive" fps-shooter.

If this hardware is actually too bad to play titles like modern warfare well, what would people reccomend as a budget-friendly upgrade option? CPU/ GPU? I've been pondering getting a new ryzen CPU, but that would ultimately lead to my 1060 being a bottleneck, so it would then need upgrading, as well as a new MOBO, ram etc.. This would ultimately become an expensive rabbithole..

:)

overclock.jpg

1060 is kinda a bit outdated tbh,  CPU too probably. 

It's still capable hw,  but in many titles you'll just have to go for low settings - for me getting a new CPU (from 2200G to 3600) made quite the difference but that doesn't seem to be an option I guess. 

But yeah, generally a better CPU would definitely help,  how much obviously heavily depends on the games. 

PS: also for 144hz the card sadly isn't really suitable at all, might work in some less demanding titles,  but generally it will struggle,  hard. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm leaning towards upgrading the cpu already. Wondering about switching to a 3600x. TRied running the game with taskmanager open to monitor cpu-usage and it's hovering around 90%, and spiking up to 100% while playing. As I'm using my computer for other productive programs as well, the cpu might be the best bang for my buck upgrade I reckon?

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to choosing between the new ryzen cpus? Which would be the best bang for buck upgrade from an i7 3770? Also unsure as to wether or not it's worth going for an x570 board or if that is a waste of money for my part.

21 minutes ago, razersurf said:

I'm leaning towards upgrading the cpu already. Wondering about switching to a 3600x. TRied running the game with taskmanager open to monitor cpu-usage and it's hovering around 90%, and spiking up to 100% while playing. As I'm using my computer for other productive programs as well, the cpu might be the best bang for my buck upgrade I reckon?

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to choosing between the new ryzen cpus? Which would be the best bang for buck upgrade from an i7 3770? Also unsure as to wether or not it's worth going for an x570 board or if that is a waste of money for my part.

Yeap I agree CPU upgrade would make the most sense... The GPU is honestly not that bad and from experience CPU upgrade can do a lot for performance - and it just makes more sense obviously. 

As for the boards.  Honestly? Not really.  A cheap B450 board should be sufficient - it really seems kind of a lottery if your mobo / CPU / RAM combo has issues or not and just spending more doesn't seem to actually help with that - and yeah, I suspect you'll also need new RAM. Ryzen needs DDR4 3000MHz (in "dual channel") minimum - and I wouldn't over do it either,  just get vengeance lpx 3200 or 3000 or something...  (check if it's on the QVL tho) With that hardware you won't really see much gains with higher RAM clocks... 

And you unfortunately have to figure out if the board is compatible with RYZEN 3000 before buying too,  otherwise you need a bios update, which gets complicated because then you'll also need a lower tier CPU...  (AMD actually has a borrow a CPU program for that - at no cost even lol)

And for budget a 3600 makes the most sense,  people usually advice against the X versions but depending on price differences it may be worth it imo -  you get higher clocks and usually a slightly better cooler.   Generally 3600 should be fine though (and the cheapest viable option too) 

... Realistically that's an investment of about ~$350-400 (could be lower too) I figure... Probably worth it tho in the long run. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity