Upgrading my CPU (OMEN HP 880-135nd)

Hello,

I want to upgrade my CPU from the i5-8400 that this PC came with, with an i7-9700k.  I have the OMEN by HP 880-135nd model and I wanted to ask if my Motherboard is compatible with the i7-9700k before I make my purchase. I have a Z370 motherboard with a LGA1151 coffelake chipset. Here is a link with my PC specifications: https://support.hp.com/nl-nl/document/c05962167

(Note: I have recently upgraded my GTX 1070 GPU with an RTX 2080 SUPER. I’ve also upgraded my 500W power supply with an 850W power supply.)

If it is possible to upgrade then I know I will have to buy a better CPU cooler because the intel stock cooler that came with the i5-8400 is not going to cut it. I have been looking around but cannot decide which one is the best for my build. I'm mostly thinking about buying the dark rock 4 pro, Dark Rock TF, NH-D15 or NH-D15s to be able to use the i7-9700k to it's fullest potential. The problem is that I'm not sure if these CPU coolers fit in my case or are compatible with my motherboard.  If these coolers are not compatible with my build than do you have any suggestions? Some advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.  

6 minutes ago, Said24 said:

Hello,

I want to upgrade my CPU from the i5-8400 that this PC came with, with an i7-9700k.  I have the OMEN by HP 880-135nd model and I wanted to ask if my Motherboard is compatible with the i7-9700k before I make my purchase. I have a Z370 motherboard with a LGA1151 coffelake chipset. Here is a link with my PC specifications: https://support.hp.com/nl-nl/document/c05962167

(Note: I have recently upgraded my GTX 1070 GPU with an RTX 2080 SUPER. I’ve also upgraded my 500W power supply with an 850W power supply.)

If it is possible to upgrade then I know I will have to buy a better CPU cooler because the intel stock cooler that came with the i5-8400 is not going to cut it. I have been looking around but cannot decide which one is the best for my build. I'm mostly thinking about buying the dark rock 4 pro, Dark Rock TF, NH-D15 or NH-D15s to be able to use the i7-9700k to it's fullest potential. The problem is that I'm not sure if these CPU coolers fit in my case or are compatible with my motherboard.  If these coolers are not compatible with my build than do you have any suggestions? Some advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.  

Yea that's comparable I'd probably buy a better cooler too 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

7 minutes ago, Said24 said:

Hello,

Thank you.  

Just make sure the cooler will fit in your case the coolers you mentioned are pretty big

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

Intel wiki says it will.  The 8086k is near as fast.  I mostly hear about 8700k though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake

this says it will, but with some caveats.  It needs to be v2, and there has to ba a bios released for that motherboard that will allow it.  I don’t know the answers to those

https://premiumbuilds.com/knowledge-base/will-z370-motherboards-work-with-coffee-lake-s-i7-9700k-i9-9900k-cpus/

I would personally take an 8700k over a 9700k myself because it has more thread space even though it’s slower and has fewer cores.  Better futureproofing.  Either will bury a 2080ti.

8/8 vs 6/12 is a hotly debated topic here though.  Someone may tell you I’m wrong.  They may turn out to be right.  The 9700k is definitely faster at the moment.  If you plan to upgrade again when DDR5 comes out it makes a lot more sense.  The 8700k’s only advantage is potential longevity.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:06 PM, Bombastinator said:

Intel wiki says it will.  The 8086k is near as fast.  I mostly hear about 8700k though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake

this says it will, but with some caveats.  It needs to be v2, and there has to ba a bios released for that motherboard that will allow it.  I don’t know the answers to those

https://premiumbuilds.com/knowledge-base/will-z370-motherboards-work-with-coffee-lake-s-i7-9700k-i9-9900k-cpus/

I would personally take an 8700k over a 9700k myself because it has more thread space even though it’s slower and has fewer cores.  Better futureproofing.  Either will bury a 2080ti.

8/8 vs 6/12 is a hotly debated topic here though.  Someone may tell you I’m wrong.  They may turn out to be right.  The 9700k is definitely faster at the moment.  If you plan to upgrade again when DDR5 comes out it makes a lot more sense.  The 8700k’s only advantage is potential longevity.

Thank you very much for replying and after careful consideration, I have decided to go with the i7-8700k since it's on the list of compatible CPUs for this PC and is pretty much identical when it comes to performance compared to the i7-9700k. My main problem is that I don't know which CPU cooler is compatible with my motherboard and also fits in my case. Furthermore, I want to use the i7-8700k to its fullest potential (overclocking) so it has to be a CPU cooler that can handle this. There is very little information about this online. Can you please help me? 

34 minutes ago, Said24 said:

Thank you very much for replying and after careful consideration, I have decided to go with the i7-8700k since it's on the list of compatible CPUs for this PC and is pretty much identical when it comes to performance compared to the i7-9700k. My main problem is that I don't know which CPU cooler is compatible with my motherboard and also fits in my case. Furthermore, I want to use the i7-8700k to its fullest potential (overclocking) so it has to be a CPU cooler that can handle this. There is very little information about this online. Can you please help me? 

Hard one.  It’s a prebuilt and has weird cooling and no specs on space for coolers.  Also the motherboard may be custom so a third party cooler may not fit the holes.  Big air coolers also require the motherboard to be removed and a plate put on the back of the board for support. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Said24 said:

I have A thought.  I do not know if it is a good thought though.  The cpu fan appears to be stock.  If you used a 120mm or140mm water cooler you could replace the rear fan (is it 120mm or 140mm?) with the cooler and use the stock fan holes to mount the pump.  The problem is I still don’t know about those holes and small water coolers like that are both expensive and not particularly good.  Those legs might not stretch all that far.

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2019 at 9:41 PM, Said24 said:

Hello,

Thank you.  

Hey, Sorry I'm late to this topic. But when i bought my Omen 880-P1XX it ran every game smooth and in high graphics. I still have a Gtx 1070 and I7 8700(non K) But as it was a very hot summer here it was still at decent temps. After around 9-10 months of the purchase I noticed that the stock CPU cooler was getting quite loud after playing heavy graphic games such as rust. So I did my research on the Hp Omen forum on the hp support website and someone posted saying the brackets could fit the mobo of a nice thermal massive fan cooler. He posted a pic of the new fan inside his pc and he said everything is nice and quite and temps have dropped drastically I was so happy I found that post. So I purchased the cooler on amazon it was around 60 euro so it wasn't a cheap crappy one so i felt confident on it. The brackets fits perfectly and temps are down a nice bit and not even loud anymore. I was very happy with my purchase. The only flaw though is that this fan is installed to a i7 8700 (non K) CPU. So I don't know what it'll be like once i upgrade to an I7 8700k but I'm a little afraid about overclocking a hp 880-p1xx/112na pc as I didn't come with the software. But if I don't overclock is the 8700k still better than the 8700 cuz I have no idea about it. 

The CPU cooler is called the Ben Nevis Advanced made by Alpenföhn

LINK:https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALPENFOHN-84000000146-Alpenfohn-Advanced-Cooler/dp/B071X4JSBG

So if your not confident with a AIO cooler get the fan cooler i purchases on amazon but I don't know if its good for the 8700k CPUs or any other overclockable CPUs.