Any idea what is going on with my 3DMark combined score?

mardon85

I'm currently in the process of building a new PC. I've swapped various parts in and out as i've seen deals on FB or Ebay, maybe I have a tech addiction I don't know..

Anyways I've gone from a not great silicone lottery 8700k @ 5.0Ghz to an 'ok' 9700k @ 5.1Ghz

I've also gone from a 2070 Super which I got new for £480 with a game I was going to purchase anyway to a new (without box) 2080 Super for £480 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

In addition i'm also running 3200 LPX Vengeance at 3750Mhz OC and a Mini-ITX Z370 MSI pro Carbon Mobo + 1TB Saberant  M.2 SSD.

I'm seeing some strange 3Dmark results mainly with my combined score varying massibly. Clocks and temps have remained pretty much the same. Please see below for some examples:

9700k - 2080 Super:

Compare - https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/21209161/fs/21209358

59 vs 53 FPS combined same clocks on card and CPU

9700 - 2070 Super:

Compare - https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/21097497/fs/21097901#

58 vs 49 FPS combined

What could be causing the large fluctuation in FPS on the combined score? This is usually the test which throws the numbers out. 

3DMark is purely synthetic, the best way to test is through actual gaming, if your fps goes up, then it's fine.

There's also a few things you could try,

1) Setting your pc to "Performance" This tends to fix

2) Maybe OC the GPU?? 

3) Look to see if your drivers are installed (I know this is said all the time but it's basic)

4) Try and reinstall windows and see if that works (I know it's tedious but it's probably the best thing you could do)

4 minutes ago, BigDaddy0078 said:

3DMark is purely synthetic, the best way to test is through actual gaming, if your fps goes up, then it's fine.

There's also a few things you could try,

1) Setting your pc to "Performance" This tends to fix

2) Maybe OC the GPU?? 

3) Look to see if your drivers are installed (I know this is said all the time but it's basic)

4) Try and reinstall windows and see if that works (I know it's tedious but it's probably the best thing you could do)

1) I'll give that a go

2) I've already OC'd the GPU a fair bit was really impressed with the 2080 Super's samsung memory 9000mhz vs 7800mhz on the 2070 Super. I know the 2080 has been panned in the reviews but most the reviews i've seen have been stock. For the same price as the 2070 Super and overclocked its a great card.

3) Fresh drivers using DDU software

4) Fresh Windows 10 UEFI Install on my new M.2 drive and the 2070 results which were the same were on my old legacy SSD install.

Its gone from 0.9 Shader rate 60fps at 3440x1440 on Metro Exodus at the settings I run (inc RTX) to being able to run at 1.0 Sharder rate at over 60FPS. I can finally enjoy Metro the way I wanted!

3 minutes ago, mardon85 said:

I've already OC'd the GPU a fair bit was really impressed with the 2080 Super's samsung memory 9000mhz vs 7800mhz on the 2070 Super. I know the 2080 has been panned in the reviews but most the reviews i've seen have been stock. For the same price as the 2070 Super and overclocked its a great card.

Its gone from 0.9 Shader rate 60fps at 3440x1440 on Metro Exodus at the settings I run (inc RTX) to being able to run at 1.0 Sharder rate at over 60FPS. I can finally enjoy Metro the way I wanted!

It's only a problem with 3DMark then, I wouldn't worry.