is a 1 week warranty good enough?

I've found a rad deal online for a used i5-2400 for RM80, that's about 20 dollars or 14 quid. The seller doesn't know how long it's been used as he salvaged it from a bad motherboard that belonged to a customer of his. However, he (claims) he has tested it and provided me a picture of the 2400 in CPU-Z (picture below).

He (the seller) is offering a one week warranty and I would really like to know if that's really good enough. I would really like to not spend RM80, which is actually quite a sum of money, and to have it break one day after the warranty expires. 157597115937.jpg

Its to bad you live such a long way from me. I got a i5-2400 laying around you could get for free (if you paid for shipping from Denmark)

But 20 dollars is ok and one week is enough to test the CPU

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Buying used is always a bit of a gamble, a private seller offering a warranty isn't something I've personally encountered but I would say yeah, it's probably safe to go for it if you are confident that warranty will actually be fulfilled. In a weeks time you should be able to verify that it works, has no dead memory channels or other quirky behavior related to damaged contact points pretty easily. I have yet to have a CPU ever break to anything other then physical damage to it. CPU's tend to have a lot longer lifespan then most other components in a PC after all. I think that cpu is about 8 years old right now? I would just make sure you have an actual motherboard for it that you trust still functions reliably over worrying about the CPU expiring. 

3 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Buying used is always a bit of a gamble, a private seller offering a warranty isn't something I've personally encountered but I would say yeah, it's probably safe to go for it if you are confident that warranty will actually be fulfilled. In a weeks time you should be able to verify that it works, has no dead memory channels or other quirky behavior related to damaged contact points pretty easily. I have yet to have a CPU ever break to anything other then physical damage to it. CPU's tend to have a lot longer lifespan then most other components in a PC after all. I think that cpu is about 8 years old right now? I would just make sure you have an actual motherboard for it that you trust still functions reliably over worrying about the CPU expiring. 

Now you've got me worried about another incredibly expensive thing that I don't want to spend money on. GREAT JOB DUDE.

On a serious note, seller warranty is pretty common 'here'. Mostly they last for a week or two, some sellers (companies, but kind of not) offer up to a month. My motherboard is a DH61HO, assuming this one was manufactured the year it was released, 2012, it'll be 8 years old in a few months. It's been through . . . torture. I'd reckon it's been used for as long as 12 hours a day on average since my parents bought this computer.

9 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Its to bad you live such a long way from me. I got a i5-2400 laying around you could get for free (if you paid for shipping from Denmark)

But 20 dollars is ok and one week is enough to test the CPU

Shipping from Denmark to Malaysia would cost more than the CPU itself, mate. So that's a no, haha. 

Generally speaking it works or it doesn't. Start testing it as soon as you get it, give it a sustained load. If it hasn't fallen over in a week it'll probably be fine for the useful life of the system.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

Shipping from Denmark to Malaysia would cost more than the CPU itself, mate. So that's a no, haha. 

Yeah that's was the point.. haha.. Try running Aida64 when getting the CPU

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

7 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

Now you've got me worried about another incredibly expensive thing that I don't want to spend money on. GREAT JOB DUDE.

On a serious note, seller warranty is pretty common 'here'. Mostly they last for a week or two, some sellers (companies, but kind of not) offer up to a month. My motherboard is a DH61HO, assuming this one was manufactured the year it was released, 2012, it'll be 8 years old in a few months. It's been through . . . torture. I'd reckon it's been used for as long as 12 hours a day on average since my parents bought this computer.

I'm really sorry to bring that up, but yeah I would legitimately be more concerned about an 8 year old motherboard failing then a cpu. The most common reason for older CPU's to fall out of circulation is motherboards dying and there being no new ones produced for it and all.   

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Generally speaking it works or it doesn't. Start testing it as soon as you get it, give it a sustained load. If it hasn't fallen over in a week it'll probably be fine for the useful life of the system.

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Yeah that's was the point.. haha.. Try running Aida64 when getting the CPU

I don't actually have any of these programs. I also don't actually have a separate GPU, so will that impact results in a particularly negative way? I'm also not that keen on waiting like an hour for a stress test.

11 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

I'm also not that keen on waiting like an hour for a stress test.

not being keen on waiting for a stress test to finish is very foolish, how are you gonna test it then?

11 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

I don't actually have any of these programs.

Download them then, you obviously have internet access.

9 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

I don't actually have any of these programs. I also don't actually have a separate GPU, so will that impact results in a particularly negative way? I'm also not that keen on waiting like an hour for a stress test.

You can download for aida64 and try it out for free for 30 days. Just run it for as long as you want to. If something serious is wrong with the cpu it will fail in minutes. But of course if you won't take the time you can't be 100% sure.

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

You can download for aida64 and try it out for free for 30 days. Just run it for as long as you want to. If something serious is wrong with the cpu it will fail in minutes. But of course if you won't take the time you can't be 100% sure.

How long do you usually test your CPUs for?

4 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

How long do you usually test your CPUs for?

I don't test my cpu unless I overclock. Then usually for 1-2 days

FS in Denmark/EU:

18 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I don't test my cpu unless I overclock. Then usually for 1-2 days

Do I need to be worried about the cooling of the 2400 during the test? I know Sandy Bridge CPUs run hot, and I don't have a non-stock cooler. Good ones cost atleast RM60 if bought new, and I haven't had any luck with used ones for any less.