Network upgrade?

UK based, I’m looking to upgrade my existing network. What is the pros and cons of this? I currently run BT router with a mesh system and want to upgrade my network. Is it worth getting my own router and access points eg a ubiquiti system. Or build up a rack. What would be recommended.

11 hours ago, Dan7Hou said:

UK based, I’m looking to upgrade my existing network. What is the pros and cons of this? I currently run BT router with a mesh system and want to upgrade my network. Is it worth getting my own router and access points eg a ubiquiti system. Or build up a rack. What would be recommended.

Are you having any issue with the current system? It sounds like you want to put something in that you can tinker with, which I totally understand. However, if that is the main motivation, then that is something only you can answer.

Without knowing more details, the only thing I can say is that if you have some kind of in-home NAS or server, or do client-to-client file sharing, or if you have Gigabit internet, then moving up to WiFi 6 might be a nice boost in performance. Otherwise it is probably more of a fun project than a meaningful upgrade.