Need advice about my PC

Nachtmahr69

Hey there, 

my first post and not a native english speaker, so im sorry if my grammar is bad.

So yesterday, while gaming my PC suddenly went black, and smoke came out of it. 

I instantly unplugged the power and looked for clues. Nothing to find. So i decided to give it a go and hope for the best. 

Well lit i plugged in the power cable and pressed the power button. Fanspin smoke out of my graphicscard .... shutdown. 

So i unplugged power again. 

Took out my old 1080 and was looking sad at it.

Tried to boot pc without graphics, everthing looked fine.

Took my old GTX680 and put it in. Started it up.

Tada everything works. So far its running fine for about 10-15h with Aida64, Memtest86 and Furmark. 

My old Gtx1080 has a nice wiff of burned elextronics. 

In my opinion is seems just like something Burned out in my GTX1080, and im about to buy a RTX 2070 super to replace it.

My question is: without any testing done other than a stability test with these 3 programs. do you think its safe to say it was just the graphics card ? Is it safe to just instal the new one and be done with it ? 

Or would you recommend any further testing before installing a new 650 euro graphics card?

I would love to hear your opinion about that.

Janosh

throw your psu out of the window i'd probably say

i wouldn't even trust to put any of my parts into a pc if it smoked

So i decided to give it a go and hope for the best. 

Lol. Get a new PSU and GPU. What's your PSU by the way ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Who made the 1080 and how old is it. If you got it new 18months ago then it is still under warranty.

Thx for the fast answers.

So my PSU is the „be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 850w“

edit here:

just sure about the be quite p11 850w dont know if its the dark power pro for sure 

edit the edit :D

just checked its the Dark Power Pro P11 850w

and my Card was a zotac GTX 1080 Amp extreme.

and thats the main reason why im asking.

I cant tell you where i found it, but i found a few posts yesterday stating that Zotac has cooling issues with a few chips on the card.

True the easiest way would be to switch PSU

and GPU, but i sadly cant afford both atm. 

So im stuck with either just changing the GPU for now, or waiting 2 month and change both.

Both parts are around 3 years old.

So sadly no warrenty to get here ... :/

7 minutes ago, Nachtmahr69 said:

Thx for the fast answers.

So my PSU is the „be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 850w“

edit here:

just sure about the be quite p11 850w dont know if its the dark power pro for sure 

and my Card was a zotac GTX 1080 Amp extreme.

and thats the main reason why im asking.

I cant tell you where i found it, but i found a few posts yesterday stating that Zotac has cooling issues with a few chips on the card.

True the easiest way would be to switch PSU

and GPU, but i sadly cant afford both atm. 

So im stuck with either just changing the GPU for now, or waiting 2 month and change both.

Both parts are around 3 years old.

So sadly no warrenty to get here ... :/

I am not sure anything is wrong with the PSU. It also is a pretty quality unit, but if you want to contact support go for it. It has a 5 year warranty so you are still covered if you want to RMA it.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/warranty

Are you certain the PSU is out of warranty? I'dve thought if it was less than 3 years, should still be in warranty. They're supposed to be good quality units...

You've said you're not a native English speaker, so I guess that means you're not resident in the USA, so maybe your location contributes to a lesser warranty [as my location of Australia sometimes does...] but it does seem to me that the USA have the better options as far as most PC warranties go....

There's some reason to be querulous about PSU quality, but a BeQuiet SHOULD be OK to continue with, if it's run Aida64, memtest and Furmark stress-tests for in excess of 15 hours and all is still working...can you remove it and take it to a local PC Tech...although I s'pose it is likely they'd know little more than you when it comes to testing a PSU.

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am not sure anything is wrong with the PSU. It also is a pretty quality unit, but if you want to contact support go for it. It has a 5 year warranty so you are still covered if you want to RMA it.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/warranty

Thx alot i will try to get in contact with them tomorrow :)  

2 minutes ago, Pharr Carnell said:

Are you certain the PSU is out of warranty? I'dve thought if it was less than 3 years, should still be in warranty. They're supposed to be good quality units...

You've said you're not a native English speaker, so I guess that means you're not resident in the USA, so maybe your location contributes to a lesser warranty [as my location of Australia sometimes does...] but it does seem to me that the USA have the better options as far as most PC warranties go....

There's some reason to be querulous about PSU quality, but a BeQuiet SHOULD be OK to continue with, if it's run Aida64, memtest and Furmark stress-tests for in excess of 15 hours and all is still working...can you remove it and take it to a local PC Tech...although I s'pose it is likely they'd know little more than you when it comes to testing a PSU.

As AngryBeaver stated, it probably should still be in warrenty time.

And yeah im from germany, most things here unless you pay extra only have 2 years.

But the GPU 100% is out of it,

checked. and Zotac would have actually provided 3 years if i would have registered within the first couple of weeks after the purchase...

Well i done fucked up i guess ...

And yeah still running all the stresstests, and even thought my CPU is cooking at 70degrees C and my room is hot AF.

No stability issues, everything else seems to be working fine as well. 

Other than that, i checked the connectors etc of the PSU, nothing that would indicate a voltage spike to me. 

„There's some reason to be querulous about PSU quality, but a BeQuiet SHOULD be OK to continue with“

i really hope so, going to contact the customers support anyways i guess :/.

5 minutes ago, Nachtmahr69 said:

As AngryBeaver stated, it probably should still be in warrenty time.

And yeah im from germany, most things here unless you pay extra only have 2 years.

But the GPU 100% is out of it,

checked. and Zotac would have actually provided 3 years if i would have registered within the first couple of weeks after the purchase...

Well i done fucked up i guess ...

And yeah still running all the stresstests, and even thought my CPU is cooking at 70degrees C and my room is hot AF.

No stability issues, everything else seems to be working fine as well. 

Other than that, i checked the connectors etc of the PSU, nothing that would indicate a voltage spike to me. 

„There's some reason to be querulous about PSU quality, but a BeQuiet SHOULD be OK to continue with“

i really hope so, going to contact the customers support anyways i guess :/.

Honestly, I think your GPU just died. I doubt it had anything to do with the PSU. I had a 1080ti die in much the same way except without seeing smoke. Mine was also running on a custom loop so it was nice and cool (no water leaks). The difference was mine was about 22 months old and evga cross-shipped me a new one.

As for the GPU depending on your options I would go with a 2070s for about a 25-30% performance increase (if you have the budget for it) You could also go with a 5700xt, but the performance increase there is literally in the single digits (unless you do the voltage mod and overclock like crazy).

10 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Honestly, I think your GPU just died. I doubt it had anything to do with the PSU. I had a 1080ti die in much the same way except without seeing smoke. Mine was also running on a custom loop so it was nice and cool (no water leaks). The difference was mine was about 22 months old and evga cross-shipped me a new one.

As for the GPU depending on your options I would go with a 2070s for about a 25-30% performance increase (if you have the budget for it) You could also go with a 5700xt, but the performance increase there is literally in the single digits (unless you do the voltage mod and overclock like crazy).

I was looking at a EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid, and yeah, i don't think i would consider the overclocking for the 5700xt so i guess 2070 Super it is.

I was pretty happy with the 1080 so far, but the performance increase would finally allow me to play some games with a few higher settings :) 

But this time i will register it with EVGA so i can get the 3 years of warrenty ?