Upgrade a i7 4790k in 2020?

Echo466

Hey forum! Im a new member here, been watching LTT for over 2 years now and as such? I am surprised it took me this long to find and create an account on these forums. I scanned the rules before posting, I hope this conforms to basic forum decorum. 

CPU: I7 4790k overlocked - 4.7Gh'z. 
Mobo: Gigabyte G1 Z97 Sniper.
RAM: 32Gb - 1866Mh'z DDR3

I use it for light video editing and gaming. I really first felt the limitations of this CPU when I booted up BFV for the first time a while back. 

So the question is, is it worth upgrading going into 2020? I'm either spending 500$+ on a equivalent Mobo/CPU/RAM on a 14nm+++ Intel processor, or the same amount roughly by going AMD and the 3000 series. But alas, I haven't gone AMD since Phenom because of all the issues I use to have. So I don't have fond memories of AMD. 

So case and point? Is it worth upgrading for the sake of future-proofing? Because I can most definitely already feel the age of being on the LGA 1150 socket going on into 2020. Its just the performance gains are questionable to me, but overall? Im getting support for: DDR4, 12v RGB headers, M.2 etc. 

13 minutes ago, Echo466 said:

I'm either spending 500$+ on a equivalent Mobo/CPU/RAM on a 14nm+++ Intel processor, or the same amount roughly by going AMD and the 3000 series

AMD's equivalent is vastly cheaper, a B450 tomahawk Max and a Ryzen 5 3600 brings you to about the level of an i7 8700k which is close to $300 in total (minus ram)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1. Look at your games/other programs, and see what the CPU usage is like. If one or more cores are pegged at 100%, and the GPU isn't, then upgrading will have some benefit
  2. Check out benchmark videos for your GPU, and see what performance people get with a 9900K (generally best gaming CPU). That is how much potential performance benefit you could get. Then you can determine if that is worth it
  3. Don't discount AMD because of issues that aren't with their current products. Current gen stuff is good, has proven so, and is worth consideration if it fits your use case. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

If you need more performance then yes, it worth it. For 500$ budget (for CPU + motherboard + RAM i assume) go for this :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $509.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-05 13:50 EST-0500

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Yeah, you guys kind of affirm what I already felt? Just wasn't really sure whether it was worth it. 

While the 4790k is still a great CPU, I just lack a lot of newer features and support by staying on such a old socket. 

Appreciate the input! If I end up wanting to do this. I'll just post another thread on potential equivalent or better upgrades. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

If you want to upgrade the CPU, get a 9400F and a B360 board throw in some RAM (16GB is basically enough, but get 1×16GB instead of 2×8GB) and you're finished. 

Btw, what's your GPU? It might be more of a bottleneck than the CPU itself

13 hours ago, Vaultboy384 said:

16GB is basically enough, but get 1×16GB instead of 2×8GB

no as well.

I had a bad experience with an AMD 16 yrs ago, so I stuck with Intel till my last build about 4 months ago... believe me, you will never go back to Sucky pricey Intel....again.

I got the R7 2700x

ASUS X470

64 GB RAM

RTX2060

Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans

1TB NVMe ac C Drive

1 TB NVme or Virtual machines

2 TB SSD for Storage

1 TB SSD for Gaming...

8 cores/16 threads..

The system runs like a charm...

Never been happier with another build of mine.