best vr headset to go for ?

Go to solution Solved by JoshQM,

As someone who has owned a Vive since launch and currently own the Valve Index, I highly recommend the Index over the vive if you can afford it. But the vive all around is still a super solid headset, the only issue I ever had with the vive was the controllers. As for the Oculus headsets, everything I've seen recommends the Rift S if you're on a budget, the only downsides I see is the limited tracking range and the fact that the panels are 80hz instead of the standard 90hz..

hi i have been thinking about joining the VR community. im not exactly sure what headset to go with

iv been thinking either a HTC Vive, Oculus Rift or a Rift S but i dont know which would be best to go with any recommendations ?

(i dont want to go with quest because its standalone)

is the Rift S's tracking good compared to a rift or Vive ?

(i live in Australia)

Cheers

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

VIve will have the best Tracking but is discontinued.

You'd have to go Vive Pro or Valve Index if you want lighthouse based tracking but those are much more expensive.

Rift CV1 is also discontinued so if you damage your cable it's very hard to find a replacement.

Rift S is probably your best bet for all around performance at a decent price right now.

As someone who has owned a Vive since launch and currently own the Valve Index, I highly recommend the Index over the vive if you can afford it. But the vive all around is still a super solid headset, the only issue I ever had with the vive was the controllers. As for the Oculus headsets, everything I've seen recommends the Rift S if you're on a budget, the only downsides I see is the limited tracking range and the fact that the panels are 80hz instead of the standard 90hz..

Main stuff idk

Laptop: Macbook Air M1 2020

Desktop/Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200

STORAGE: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC

PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+

Other Stuff

VR Headset: Valve Index

Consoles: Nintendo Switch - Xbox Series X

yea i think i might go with a rift S

on abit of a budget and apparently the tracking is decent sooo yea..

thanks for the replys

22 hours ago, wookzi said:

the fact that the panels are 80hz instead of the standard 90hz..

the slightly lower refresh rate would be to bad would it ?

8 minutes ago, col01by said:

the slightly lower refresh rate would be to bad would it ?

Honestly, I don't think it would be that noticeable unless you are playing a super fast-paced game. I can't say too much since I've never tried a rift S, just stated it so you were aware it has a slightly lower refresh rate than most other headsets.

Main stuff idk

Desktop/Gaming PC

STORAGE: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Other Stuff

Not to hijack this thread, but what would the best HDMI 2.0 Headset be?

I have a Zephyrus laptop rocking a GTX 1070 with an 8th gen i7, and then there's my desktop with an i7-4770k and a GTX 970. My laptop doesn't have DisplayPort and my PC just barely hits the minimum spec requirement. I would like to know what the best experience I can get is, assuming I can use it on both. Any thoughts?

9 hours ago, MegamanXGold said:

Not to hijack this thread, but what would the best HDMI 2.0 Headset be?

I have a Zephyrus laptop rocking a GTX 1070 with an 8th gen i7, and then there's my desktop with an i7-4770k and a GTX 970. My laptop doesn't have DisplayPort and my PC just barely hits the minimum spec requirement. I would like to know what the best experience I can get is, assuming I can use it on both. Any thoughts?

I’d say the Vive would be the best choice for a laptop setup seeing how the Oculus needs a bunch of USB ports for its sensors. As for your specs you should be fine in most games at low settings.

Main stuff idk

Desktop/Gaming PC

Other Stuff

21 hours ago, MegamanXGold said:

Not to hijack this thread

all good i really dont mind, i got my answer

12 hours ago, col01by said:

all good i really dont mind, i got my answer

Thank  you! in that case I would like to dive a little deeper here, because I really am stuck between getting an Index and getting a Vive, solely based on my HDMI limitation.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:42 AM, wookzi said:

[...] Oculus needs a bunch of USB ports for its sensors. As for your specs you should be fine in most games at low settings.

Thank you for the recommendation of the Vive. That is the only headset I've ever used and I do quite enjoy it, but I have an opportunity to get an Index, so if anyone can help me with the following part, I would be extraordinarily happy.

---

If it is possible that I could make the Index work on my Zephyrus, my worries about HDMI won't be relevant anymore. So with that, the following:

I think I could connect a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adapter to my laptop, and this one by Cable Matters sounds like it technically can do the trick:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Adapter-Resolution/dp/B07F17ZHJY/ref=pd_cp_147_4/144-5460476-7471268?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07F17ZHJY&pd_rd_r=54490977-8ec2-42c6-9c7e-cf8faf57d656&pd_rd_w=FSOkV&pd_rd_wg=kN6iV&pf_rd_p=2cf9199e-e65f-43e3-98e2-64b6dc3f6d60&pf_rd_r=KRBCFGDD1QCWK3QSRAV5&psc=1&refRID=KRBCFGDD1QCWK3QSRAV5

But I've read that laptops with nVidia Optimus send the card's frames to the Intel framebuffer. I can switch it out of "Optimus mode", and it says it's running in discrete graphics mode (required for G-SYNC and the Intel graphics are no longer visibly active), but I don't know if that means it has access to the Type-C Thunderbolt or not. Either way, that SHOULD be fine, because the monitor on the laptop is a 144hz panel, and even with G-SYNC turned off in Optimus mode, it runs at 144hz. So it is definitely capable on the display it has, but again... external connections are the issue.

And finally, though I am skeptical of promotional text, the Newegg page for my laptop says "Zephyrus M is compatible with large ROG G-SYNC monitors via DisplayPort™ over USB Type-C™ (USB-C™) and HDMI port. Game on a bigger scale and at even higher refresh rates." That does not clarify for sure if it is compatible with 120+ fps over Type-C to DP for VR use.

Please,

if anyone can confirm to me that the ASUS ROG Zephyrus GM-501G (GTX 1070, i7-8750H) can output 120-144hz over the Type-C with a DisplayPort adapter (and what the best adapter might be), I will make the decision without any hesitation.

I am not personally purchasing the headset itself, and I have to decide before the end of the month. I normally can't afford this kind of thing, so your help will be absolutely monumental for me. Thank you!

28 minutes ago, MegamanXGold said:

Thank  you! in that case I would like to dive a little deeper here, because I really am stuck between getting an Index and getting a Vive, solely based on my HDMI limitation.

Thank you for the recommendation of the Vive. That is the only headset I've ever used and I do quite enjoy it, but I have an opportunity to get an Index, so if anyone can help me with the following part, I would be extraordinarily happy.

---

If it is possible that I could make the Index work on my Zephyrus, my worries about HDMI won't be relevant anymore. So with that, the following:

I think I could connect a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adapter to my laptop, and this one by Cable Matters sounds like it technically can do the trick:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Adapter-Resolution/dp/B07F17ZHJY/ref=pd_cp_147_4/144-5460476-7471268?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07F17ZHJY&pd_rd_r=54490977-8ec2-42c6-9c7e-cf8faf57d656&pd_rd_w=FSOkV&pd_rd_wg=kN6iV&pf_rd_p=2cf9199e-e65f-43e3-98e2-64b6dc3f6d60&pf_rd_r=KRBCFGDD1QCWK3QSRAV5&psc=1&refRID=KRBCFGDD1QCWK3QSRAV5

But I've read that laptops with nVidia Optimus send the card's frames to the Intel framebuffer. I can switch it out of "Optimus mode", and it says it's running in discrete graphics mode (required for G-SYNC and the Intel graphics are no longer visibly active), but I don't know if that means it has access to the Type-C Thunderbolt or not. Either way, that SHOULD be fine, because the monitor on the laptop is a 144hz panel, and even with G-SYNC turned off in Optimus mode, it runs at 144hz. So it is definitely capable on the display it has, but again... external connections are the issue.

And finally, though I am skeptical of promotional text, the Newegg page for my laptop says "Zephyrus M is compatible with large ROG G-SYNC monitors via DisplayPort™ over USB Type-C™ (USB-C™) and HDMI port. Game on a bigger scale and at even higher refresh rates." That does not clarify for sure if it is compatible with 120+ fps over Type-C to DP for VR use.

Please,

if anyone can confirm to me that the ASUS ROG Zephyrus GM-501G (GTX 1070, i7-8750H) can output 120-144hz over the Type-C with a DisplayPort adapter (and what the best adapter might be), I will make the decision without any hesitation.

I am not personally purchasing the headset itself, and I have to decide before the end of the month. I normally can't afford this kind of thing, so your help will be absolutely monumental for me. Thank you!

I'm not 100% on any of this since I do not personally know too much about using an adapter for the index, but from some quick research here is what i've found.

Spoiler

If your laptop doesn’t have DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort however but does have a USB Type-C port you might be in luck- with two conditions.

Firstly, it’s important to note that USB Type-C is a connector, not a signal type. If the Type-C port on your laptop only supports USB it won’t work with a VR headset. It needs to support ‘DisplayPort Alt Mode’ or be a Thunderbolt 3 port to have a chance of being compatible.

If it’s a Thunderbolt 3 port it will usually have a lightning bolt symbol beside it. If it supports DisplayPort Alt Mode, it’ll usually have the letters DP or a monitor icon, but consult your laptop’s spec sheet to be sure.

Secondly, the port needs to be directly wired to the dedicated (usually NVIDIA) GPU rather than the Intel integrated GPU. To check which ports are wired to which GPU, open the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking your desktop, then navigate to the ‘Configure Surround, PhysX’ tab.

If this tab shows your USB Type-C port as being connected to the dedicated GPU, you should be able use Rift S or Index with a USB-C To DisplayPort adapter .

Source

Seems like it SHOULD work seeing how you said on the website it says it's compatible with displaying to large G-SYNC monitors via DisplayPort over USB Type-C. Also not sure if I'm interpreting this wrong but don't worry about it outputting over 90hz, the Index has multiple refresh rate setting it can use. I'd say get the adapter first since its fairly cheap and see if it is directly wired to the dedicated GPU and if it is then buy the Index.

I also searched r/ValveIndex and I saw quite a few posts saying the Cable Matters adapter works for them.

Reddit Post

Main stuff idk

Desktop/Gaming PC

Other Stuff

22 minutes ago, wookzi said:

I'm not 100% on any of this since I do not personally know too much about using an adapter for the index, but from some quick research here is what i've found.

Source

Seems like it SHOULD work seeing how you said on the website it says it's compatible with displaying to large G-SYNC monitors via DisplayPort over USB Type-C. Also not sure if I'm interpreting this wrong but don't worry about it outputting over 90hz, the Index has multiple refresh rate setting it can use. I'd say get the adapter first since its fairly cheap and see if it is directly wired to the dedicated GPU and if it is then buy the Index.

I also searched r/ValveIndex and I saw quite a few posts saying the Cable Matters adapter works for them.

Reddit Post

Thank you so much! That gives me a great start! I have attached an screenshot of my Surround/PhysX panel.

It shows the 1070 as having the internal connector, HDMI and a DisplayPort, but does not show that DisplayPort as being Type-C. When I select "CPU" from the PhysX settings > Processor menu, the arrow on the PhysX disappears / stops pointing at the 1070 box below it, and no other connections appear. That makes me think these are the only connections, and if that DisplayPort is forwarded directly to the discrete GPU, that gives me hope.

The idea that I should buy the adapter and try it is a great idea, though I currently use a DisplayPort to DVI adapter to connect one of my monitors (DVI and VGA only). I don't have any actual DisplayPort devices, so I suspect being sure it will work is still a little sketchy, lol. Worth a try, though, just to see if anything happens. XD

I am still very much open to more advice, but again, that's a great start! Thank you so much for finding that! :)

Capture.GIF

(PS: Sorry for the quality of the image, I didn't know Snipping Tool would save the gif like that, yikes)

15 minutes ago, MegamanXGold said:

Thank you so much! That gives me a great start! I have attached an screenshot of my Surround/PhysX panel.

It shows the 1070 as having the internal connector, HDMI and a DisplayPort, but does not show that DisplayPort as being Type-C. When I select "CPU" from the PhysX settings > Processor menu, the arrow on the PhysX disappears / stops pointing at the 1070 box below it, and no other connections appear. That makes me think these are the only connections, and if that DisplayPort is forwarded directly to the discrete GPU, that gives me hope.

The idea that I should buy the adapter and try it is a great idea, though I currently use a DisplayPort to DVI adapter to connect one of my monitors (DVI and VGA only). I don't have any actual DisplayPort devices, so I suspect being sure it will work is still a little sketchy, lol. Worth a try, though, just to see if anything happens. XD

I am still very much open to more advice, but again, that's a great start! Thank you so much for finding that! :)

Capture.GIF

(PS: Sorry for the quality of the image, I didn't know Snipping Tool would save the gif like that, yikes)

You're welcome! If any more questions come up feel free to ask me and i'll see what I can do! :)

Main stuff idk

Desktop/Gaming PC

Other Stuff

4 minutes ago, wookzi said:

You're welcome! If any more questions come up feel free to ask me and i'll see what I can do! :)

Thank you.

Some confusion is setting in, though. I restarted my computer into Optimus mode, and checked the panel again. Now that the Intel graphics are back on, it shows a graphic a lot more like the one found on reddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bsdmt1/oculus_rift_s_laptop_issues_usbc/

It shows a screen shot that has a Type-C connector on the Intel side, with the "Laptop Display" connected to that. In Optimus mode, that is what mine looks like, but my GPU side now only shows a DisplayPort connector.

The reddit user who posted this says they got it to work, but another user below them said that it is because they have an RTX card that has a "virtual link connection", which GTX cards like mine do not have.

I feel like I'm right back at square one. :(  I suppose I will have to try the adapter out and hope that USB-C-to-DisplayPort-to-DVI-to-60hz-monitor will be enough to answer the question. lol

1 hour ago, MegamanXGold said:

Thank you.

Some confusion is setting in, though. I restarted my computer into Optimus mode, and checked the panel again. Now that the Intel graphics are back on, it shows a graphic a lot more like the one found on reddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bsdmt1/oculus_rift_s_laptop_issues_usbc/

It shows a screen shot that has a Type-C connector on the Intel side, with the "Laptop Display" connected to that. In Optimus mode, that is what mine looks like, but my GPU side now only shows a DisplayPort connector.

The reddit user who posted this says they got it to work, but another user below them said that it is because they have an RTX card that has a "virtual link connection", which GTX cards like mine do not have.

I feel like I'm right back at square one. :(  I suppose I will have to try the adapter out and hope that USB-C-to-DisplayPort-to-DVI-to-60hz-monitor will be enough to answer the question. lol

I wouldn't worry too much, as OP said on the Reddit post, those diagrams are rough estimates. All you can do now is wait for the adapter and see. I used to have a laptop that had a dedicated GPU and it was always a hassle trying to figure out if the GPU or the integrated graphics were active so I'm guessing its also a little hard for the software to figure it out as well.

Main stuff idk

Desktop/Gaming PC

Other Stuff