Linux Installation

Hey Guys!

I wanted to install Kali Linux for pentesting on my PC and run it as a VM - i used to work on a live usb before. It's a potato (specs attached).

The questions are:

1. What VM software should i choose?
  2. How much RAM should I allocate?
  3. Will it run? If so, how smooth?

Untitled.png

1. hyper-v

2. How much do you need in the vm, 1-2gb is a good start

3. Just try it, it should run,gui might not be great experience, id probably go with the xfce version

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. hyper-v

3. Just try it, it should run,gui might not be great experience, id probably go with the xfce version

on it

29 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. hyper-v

my pc doesnt have SLAT and its a requirement for Hyper-v... what do i do now? any other option?

1 minute ago, mbasil22 said:

my pc doesnt have SLAT and its a requirement for Hyper-v... what do i do now? any other option?

virtual box work?

4 hours ago, mbasil22 said:

My two cents: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/

Anyway, don't you have a spare drive to install Kali Linux to (or better yet, a distribution which you actually could use for things other than pentesting without a lot of hassle and then just install the tools which you need), or a spare device, like an unused laptop?

16 hours ago, elsandosgrande said:

My two cents: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/

Anyway, don't you have a spare drive to install Kali Linux to (or better yet, a distribution which you actually could use for things other than pentesting without a lot of hassle and then just install the tools which you need), or a spare device, like an unused laptop?

i have a spare drive but the prob is i dont wanna be vulnerable out there doing pentesting... its always recommended to use a VM for such things

4 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

i have a spare drive but the prob is i dont wanna be vulnerable out there doing pentesting... its always recommended to use a VM for such things

Vulnerable... While you do things correctly and if it's only for pentesting why would you be vulnerable?

Edit: You probably want it to run on VMware as I feel like they have the best support for guest addition tools. + Easy bridged connection.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, Soldat56 said:

Vulnerable... While you do things correctly and if it's only for pentesting why would you be vulnerable?

Edit: You probably want it to run on VMware as I feel like they have the best support for guest addition tools. + Easy bridged connection.

One, I second that question.

Two, unless you're suggesting VMware Player, it also has the best wallet rinsing mechanism out of all of the options listed, which most likely factors into the decision.