(Curved or Flat) (UHD or WQHD) for editing, photoshop, and gaming?

There's some good CM deals right now, but I can't decide which monitor would be most suitable for both editing and gaming.

Does the extra width of a WQHD really help with editing in your timeline in Premier? Would the subtle curve throw off any sort of precision editing in Photoshop?
Will gaming look vastly different from 32" 4k to 34" 21:9 WQHD 2k? Which looks better, and which feels/plays better?
Is it worth waiting for newer monitors to arrive next year?

Let's assume my video card and processor can handle anything.

I've watched a few reviews of the topic, and they're informative, but they often miss some detail. Plus, they're all Nvidia shills and only state what their Corporate Commander allows.

I'd like to hear from anyone that does video editing/gaming and had both or has made the transition from one to the other.

Sorry, just noticed I was in the GPU forum when i posted this. 

Move this to Displays, please :) 

I would say you want a curved display if you like a larger screen kind of close to you. I have a flat 27” 1440p monitor and a curved 32” 1440p monitor and the curved (1800r) one feels more natural after a while. It definitely takes a day or two to get use to. 

personally I would go with a 1440p 144hz curved monitor or a 120hz 3440x1440 curved if your budget can afford it. 

Flat monitors are better for video editing and stuff. I'd get a nice 27" 4k IPS 60hz monitor and a 1080p 144hz one, or if you can't have 2, a single IPS 1440p 144hz screen.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, Sorenson said:

I would say you want a curved display if you like a larger screen kind of close to you. I have a flat 27” 1440p monitor and a curved 32” 1440p monitor and the curved (1800r) one feels more natural after a while. It definitely takes a day or two to get use to. 

personally I would go with a 1440p 144hz curved monitor or a 120hz 3440x1440 curved if your budget can afford it. 

I ended up going with a decent cyber monday deal on the ViewSonic VP3481, it's fairly close to what you described, and was under $500.
I'm curious if there are any features missing that I should have sought out. As far as I can tell, it has most everything we want in a good monitor, but i probably missed something.

Since this thread is still in the GPU forum, what's the minimum GPU to get 100fps out of this monitor(3440x1400)? Is it worth waiting for 3080 or 3080 Ti, or will a 2080 Super push all the pixels I'll need for AAA games?

2 hours ago, criznittle said:

I ended up going with a decent cyber monday deal on the ViewSonic VP3481, it's fairly close to what you described, and was under $500.
I'm curious if there are any features missing that I should have sought out. As far as I can tell, it has most everything we want in a good monitor, but i probably missed something.

Since this thread is still in the GPU forum, what's the minimum GPU to get 100fps out of this monitor(3440x1400)? Is it worth waiting for 3080 or 3080 Ti, or will a 2080 Super push all the pixels I'll need for AAA games?

You picked a good monitor. There are features missing for a good HDR experience (Many local dimming zones, brighter panel, 10bit color) but these features are missing on everything but the most expensive panels.

Conveniently I just got my 3440x1440 monitor yesterday. I’m getting 110-180fps in all the games I’ve played so far (ultra/high setting) on a 2080 super and a 9700k. If you want me to test any games let me know. I would say 2070 super/2080/2080 super will all be fine. Some games will be more demanding, but you have freesync to make up for that. 

4 hours ago, Sorenson said:

You picked a good monitor. There are features missing for a good HDR experience (Many local dimming zones, brighter panel, 10bit color) but these features are missing on everything but the most expensive panels.

Conveniently I just got my 3440x1440 monitor yesterday. I’m getting 110-180fps in all the games I’ve played so far (ultra/high setting) on a 2080 super and a 9700k. If you want me to test any games let me know. I would say 2070 super/2080/2080 super will all be fine. Some games will be more demanding, but you have freesync to make up for that. 

Ah nice, appreciate the information - very helpful.

Which games do you play that get 110-180fps? I don't play competitive games much.

If you don't mind checking these games: Jedi Fallen Order, AC:Odyssey, Octopath Traveler lol, The Outer Worlds.
What FPS, and how do they look at that resolution?

I'm debating waiting for Ampere, though the 2080 Super is certainly appealing right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of your setup, and with any games running at 3440x1440.

I get around 110+ in dragon age inquisition (it’s actually pretty demanding), gears 5, FFXV, and war thunder. I’m saying 110+ because that’s around the least I see in those games with my settings.

Jedi Fallen order seems to be either unoptimized or abnormally demanding. I get ~75ish with most setting at epic, AA at medium, and filtering on High.

10 hours ago, Sorenson said:

I get around 110+ in dragon age inquisition (it’s actually pretty demanding), gears 5, FFXV, and war thunder. I’m saying 110+ because that’s around the least I see in those games with my settings.

Jedi Fallen order seems to be either unoptimized or abnormally demanding. I get ~75ish with most setting at epic, AA at medium, and filtering on High.

Yeah, Jedi is pretty rough - even at 1080p. 110+ on those other games is good, I'd probably replay them just to experience the resolution difference.

Is there a preference for DP or HDMI 2.0 on these monitors?

2 hours ago, criznittle said:

Yeah, Jedi is pretty rough - even at 1080p. 110+ on those other games is good, I'd probably replay them just to experience the resolution difference.

Is there a preference for DP or HDMI 2.0 on these monitors?

If you’re using an Nvidia card and want to enable freesync you’ll want a nice quality DP cable so you can manually enable the Gsync.

3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

If you’re using an Nvidia card and want to enable freesync you’ll want a nice quality DP cable so you can manually enable the Gsync.

I heard Gsync was opened up to all video cards, but didn't know you could use it with a non-Gsync monitor. I am using an Nvidia card, and plan to use freesync of course.

Are you saying I can gain some sort of additional benefit by enabling Gsync without the additional Gsync hardware in my monitor? Never heard of this.

12 minutes ago, criznittle said:

I heard Gsync was opened up to all video cards, but didn't know you could use it with a non-Gsync monitor. I am using an Nvidia card, and plan to use freesync of course.

Are you saying I can gain some sort of additional benefit by enabling Gsync without the additional Gsync hardware in my monitor? Never heard of this.

Nvidia cards can work with freesync monitors if they are 10 series or newer. You enable it through the nvidia control panel. 

Capture.PNG

Monitors are overpriced and small. Just get a 40" 4K TV. I use it for CAD, Photoshop, 3D work etc. My eyes are about 30" from the screen. It takes a while getting used to a big screen - you have to look sideways and up a bit but you get used to it. For web browsing I position the window in the center of the screen and scale it down a bit. That way  don't have to look to the sides too much.

I think anything larger that 40" and 2.5 feet away would be too big unless you enjoy exercising your neck a lot!

On 12/5/2019 at 11:50 AM, quadray said:

Monitors are overpriced and small. Just get a 40" 4K TV. I use it for CAD, Photoshop, 3D work etc. My eyes are about 30" from the screen. It takes a while getting used to a big screen - you have to look sideways and up a bit but you get used to it. For web browsing I position the window in the center of the screen and scale it down a bit. That way  don't have to look to the sides too much.

I think anything larger that 40" and 2.5 feet away would be too big unless you enjoy exercising your neck a lot!

I really considered it when i saw 42" 4k monitors on sale for $350, but that's just too big for my desk and i can't move back far enough to appreciate it while still being able to use the kb and mouse.
Computer monitors seem to have better technology for various professions and gaming too.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:16 AM, Sorenson said:

Nvidia cards can work with freesync monitors if they are 10 series or newer. You enable it through the nvidia control panel. 

Capture.PNG

G-SYNC doesn't show up for me, but I was able to enable 100hz and FreeSync with a bit of work.
Hopefully it's about as good, as i don't think my monitor is supported by NVIDIA's technology.

Besides that, everything looks good. I'm still using my old PC(2500k/1660 Ti), so newer games don't run great at 3440x1440, but they do run, and they look incredible compared to what I was used to at 24" 1080p 60hz.

7 hours ago, criznittle said:

G-SYNC doesn't show up for me, but I was able to enable 100hz and FreeSync with a bit of work.
Hopefully it's about as good, as i don't think my monitor is supported by NVIDIA's technology.

Besides that, everything looks good. I'm still using my old PC(2500k/1660 Ti), so newer games don't run great at 3440x1440, but they do run, and they look incredible compared to what I was used to at 24" 1080p 60hz.

Do you have GeForce experience installed and the latest drivers? As long as freesync is turned on you should be able to enable the gsync. But if you don’t want to mess with it I get it.

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

Do you have GeForce experience installed and the latest drivers? As long as freesync is turned on you should be able to enable the gsync. But if you don’t want to mess with it I get it.

Yes, i have GeForce Experience and recently reinstalled the latest drivers in my attempt to get 100hz functional. I also have the latest monitor driver from ViewSonic, and FreeSync is enabled. I think the problem may be that I'm still on Windows 7. I won't be moving to 10 until i build a new PC in coming months.
If i can enable G-SYNC on windows 7 - I'm all eyes.

7 hours ago, criznittle said:

Yes, i have GeForce Experience and recently reinstalled the latest drivers in my attempt to get 100hz functional. I also have the latest monitor driver from ViewSonic, and FreeSync is enabled. I think the problem may be that I'm still on Windows 7. I won't be moving to 10 until i build a new PC in coming months.
If i can enable G-SYNC on windows 7 - I'm all eyes.

Oh no I think it’s only windows 10. Well it’s something to look forward to! 

On 12/10/2019 at 7:43 AM, Sorenson said:

Oh no I think it’s only windows 10. Well it’s something to look forward to! 

Yeah, for sure. Know what's weird though? My PC feels more responsive and zippier than before installing this monitor. Typically a much higher res monitor would slow things down a bit, but in my case things seem quicker.

Could it be that my GPU is taking over more of the work now? Or is this just a placebo with 100hz monitors lol

If your plugged into the GPU then the graphics processing will go through the GPU unless otherwise modified. 

It’s probably a combination of better response time and the higher refresh rate.