CPU is running too hot. Reason/Solutions?

Rygoalo8

I have an i7 9700k CPU on my computer and an RTX 2070. My cooler is unknown as this is an ibuypower prebuild. I was looking online and seeing other people with the same parts (cpu and gpu) as me and they were having the same problem of the CPU overheating. Using CoreTemp my temp right now using chrome and coretemp only is around 30 degrees and goes up to 40 sometimes while near idle. I had my pc stop and shut off one time so far due to overheating and when I play a game such as Fortnite or Rocket League my temperatures can sometimes get as high as 100 degrees celcuis. I know this is a bad temperature for my cpu so I have gone into my BIOS and turned up my fan speed and still the same temperatures. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this as I don't know if I need a new cpu cooler or just to change a setting in BIOS. Thank you

I would look at how much voltage your cpu is receiving when under load. If you can disable settings that increase the voltage your cpu gets under load (these are generally way too aggressive). From there I would look to do aN adaptive negative voltage offset stating at -.005 increasing to a point where your computer is still stable and the temps are under control. 

My 9700k was running to hot so I disabled Asus’ Multi core enhancement and added a -.02 voltage offset. My cpu temps went from ~100c -> 75c under load.

we are gonna need a picture of the cooler and a screenshot of voltages during low, chances are you can set a lower manual voltage than stock and it'll at least help with the problem, but something's wrong.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Sounds like iBuyPower has some poorly attached coolers.  Even a stock cooler shouldn’t do that if it is attached correctly.  Good chance you can get by simply remounting the one you have correctly.

there are numerous videos on how to do this yourself, or you can make the company you bought it from fix it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Sounds like potentially a bad mount, have you checked to make sure the cooler is on right?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have the same CPU/GPU.

Get and after market air cooler, at least a Coolermaster of 40$ or equivalent.

The air flow of the case is very important, i have 6 case fans the idle load is normal 30/40c, but my full load never goes above 75c with the CPU at OC at 49Ghz on all  cores!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

I have the same CPU/GPU.

Get and after market air cooler, at least a Coolermaster of 40$ or equivalent.

The air flow of the case is very important, i have 6 case fans the idle load is normal 30/40c, but my full load never goes above 75c with the CPU at OC at 49Ghz on all  cores!

Nah. It’s probably not even overclockable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Nah. It’s probably not even overclockable.

As it is now, of course not!!!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

3 minutes ago, xg32 said:

we are gonna need a picture of the cooler and a screenshot of voltages during low, chances are you can set a lower manual voltage than stock and it'll at least help with the problem, but something's wrong.

Undervolting may or may not work as a temporary solution.  It’s a prebuilt.  If it’s under warranty it’s a warranty problem.  The chances that iBuyPower overvolted the cpu is low.  Not impossible I guess.  He apparently may not even be able to open his box without voiding his warranty, if it’s even still under warranty.

5 minutes ago, Constantin said:

As it is now, of course not!!!

I mean period.  If the cpu is an intel non k it won’t do it at all.  Remember this is an iBuyPower prebuilt.

ohwait. Says 9700k.  They may have some horrible factory overclock on it.

Edited by Bombastinator
Derp

19 minutes ago, Rygoalo8 said:

I have an i7 9700k CPU

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If the cpu is an intel non k

You said it is a i7 9700k...........

Look at the specs.. lol

Two possibilities:

1. The factory screwed up and installed the cooler badly

2.  The factory screwed up.  The CPU is overclockable and it may be overclocked in some horrible factory way that the cooler they put on it cannot handle.

3.  Both 1 and 2 happened.

solution is still the same:

If it’s still under warranty make the builder fix it.

If it’s not under warranty it is still home fixable.

5 minutes ago, Constantin said:

You said it is a i7 9700k...........

Look at the specs.. lol

See above

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Two possibilities:

2.  The factory screwed up.  The CPU is overclockable and it may be overclocked in some horrible factory way that the cooler they put on it cannot handle.

You can check all that from yourself.

1: Look at the cooler and deal with it (remount it + new paste). You wont be out of warranty doing it.

2: Check the OC ect.. with HWiNFO64 software.

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

You can check all that from yourself.

1: Look at the cooler and deal with it (remount it + new paste). You wont be out of warranty doing it.

2: Check the OC ect.. with HWiNFO64 software.

Depends on the warranty and location.  He may not even be able to open his case.  Different areas have different laws.

in any case the factory messed up.

54 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Two possibilities:

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies so far and help. I think this is the problem and fixes. Tomorrow I will call ibuypower and try to figure this out even further but I do believe the cooler is either mounted badly or I have an unnecessary overclock. How would I check if there is an overclock in the BIOS? I can send a picture of it and I'm sending a picture of my cooler mount under the direct post. Again thank you a lot for help and I will continue to update this thread.

Tomorrow I will get my BIOS specs and a few pictures of the CPU mount but I think it may be the problem, but if not then the cooler may be broken.

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

I would look at how much voltage your cpu is receiving when under load. If you can disable settings that increase the voltage your cpu gets under load (these are generally way too aggressive). From there I would look to do aN adaptive negative voltage offset stating at -.005 increasing to a point where your computer is still stable and the temps are under control. 

My 9700k was running to hot so I disabled Asus’ Multi core enhancement and added a -.02 voltage offset. My cpu temps went from ~100c -> 75c under load.

I think my motherboard is ASROCK so how would I check these settings?

9 minutes ago, Rygoalo8 said:

Tomorrow I will get my BIOS specs and a few pictures of the CPU mount but I think it may be the problem, but if not then the cooler may be broken.

It is unlikely but not impossible that the cooler is broken, or rather malformed.  Coolers are very simple things.  It would require a manufacturing screw up by the cooler maker.

the fan ON the cooler could be broken, or even not plugged in...

derp!  Does the fan on you cooler spin when you turn the machine on?  

7 minutes ago, Rygoalo8 said:

I think my motherboard is ASROCK so how would I check these settings?

You would check your mobos manuals and google ASRock mobo settings. You should also try reapplying the thermal paste.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It is unlikely but not impossible that the cooler is broken, or rather malformed.  Coolers are very simple things.  It would require a manufacturing screw up by the cooler maker.

the fan ON the cooler could be broken, or even not plugged in...

derp!  Does the fan on you cooler spin when you turn the machine on?  

yep, it is spinning, and I turned it too its highest so somethings definitely wrong

15 minutes ago, Rygoalo8 said:

yep, it is spinning, and I turned it too its highest so somethings definitely wrong

Very high likelihood of 1 or 2 or both then.  If it turns out iBuyPower is problematic it can be done at home.  It will cost at least 20 minutes of fiddling.  Probably more. If it’s a bad cpu mount also a tube of thermal paste. Probably under $10.  The first thing to try is to fix the overclock.   That is just fiddling in bios.  No paste required.  If that isn’t enough, remounting the cooler may be required.  You may want to do it anyway.  You can get better paste which will work better and maybe produce a higher overclock (make your machine faster) than the origional one.  If you just want to turn off your overclock that might be easier (the 20 minutes) but there’s a really good chance the overclock is flashed into bios and a new set of settings will need to be input and then flashed into bios to remove the garbage they put in in the first place.

0?ui=2&ik=4f447bed4a&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1651583553706073550&th=16eb9a7ddb871dce&view=fimg&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ-VczLtZuVRIoGJ9RQ4w3b57hymmVlR2qEollTmrpRrY9T5DuChV_IWfpFyp9xhbwyd36jUCjXNN888ioiE0L5Ud_KjfQYG1uCklU9KnxwoHdzkIampBlMrT4w&ats=2524608000000&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu

0?ui=2&ik=4f447bed4a&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1651583553706073550&th=16eb9a7ddb871dce&view=fimg&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ_y71OrAUOOhgvlHKTZ5T495AZ7qaxMmKqQERiLeDpDTSa9d0xtHpp8sEQkU3OcI3vk97RtocMzcJYRq_h9ESHaVsgg63RXMPC_2ClvuzMWRQ01f6hiDE-jYx4&ats=2524608000000&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu
0?ui=2&ik=4f447bed4a&attid=0.5&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1651583553706073550&th=16eb9a7ddb871dce&view=fimg&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ-Tc2TSyuDBqzmv1e99NI4NiHvcRLktgtl3ZlzQNzpq0r380y23PQ41GBeX07xQRVbBatv5qAZSxsL0xW-9jGvetHkTgfeu4So73YrmrSHrlSEsz3ZDips_XVs&ats=2524608000000&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu
0?ui=2&ik=4f447bed4a&attid=0.7&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1651583553706073550&th=16eb9a7ddb871dce&view=fimg&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ-NClRFXZJ76S7A-n3FMH1W1uJQ-9CWS0SZu4gp93-INS4f77-BoZURAQ4LMe-nJxxEkQGg6d5QmubBDAMK6sq6fqeKVUfyl-Jn8odTll0w2Dwp_B8mtEFuUnE&ats=2524608000000&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu
cleardot.gifHello everyone, I am still having the same overheating problem as of today and here is some of my BIOS information hopefully this will help determine if my pc is stupidly overclocked or not. Again thank you for your guys time. I would also like to add that there is a warranty on this prebuild through a retailer AND ibuypower that has not expired yet I believe but I do not know to what extent it is. Also today I have cleaned out the dust in my computer for the first time in a while and went back to gaming and the over 100 temperatures are still here.

Sorry that links showed up for that last tweet, here are the pictures.

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

taking cooler off and reapplying thermal paste should be the best bet.

will cost you just a few dollars of thermal paste