Video Encoder

Yatys 93

Trying to find a way to re encode some movies from H264 to H265, purely as when I used to do this in adobe media encoder this roughly cut the file size in half, I only have 2tb NAS so saving space is kind of important, I don't have media encoder anymore as I had to cancel my subscriptions as I am moving to another country in a couple months and will therefore be closing bank accounts, would like to be able to have this files sorted with I still have access to both my computers as neither will be coming with me and I really don't want to be doing this on a laptop.

in case you need to know, I am using makemkv to rip my blurays so I can store them on a NAS and watch them on my smart TV or move them to an external to take to my gf's, followed by a video converter I bought on sale a few years ago, mainly this was to change the files from mkv to mp4 so that they could be input into media player, this converter does not support H265. at least in the version I have and they want another £33 to update it so that isn't happening as looking through the site and on google, they don't appear to have added this option.

Currently having a test run with handbrake as that appears to do the trick, does anyone have any other suggestions??

Handbrake would have been my suggestions, but looks like you're using that already :) 

The only other encoders I am aware of are Adobe Media Encoder (as you mentioned) and FFMPEG.

In my opinion, Handbrake does exactly what it should do.

I have no experience with MakeMKV, so can't really comment on that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 hours ago, minibois said:

Handbrake would have been my suggestions, but looks like you're using that already :) 

The only other encoders I am aware of are Adobe Media Encoder (as you mentioned) and FFMPEG.

In my opinion, Handbrake does exactly what it should do.

I have no experience with MakeMKV, so can't really comment on that.

MakeMKV is just the software to rip the blurays, the only issue is it makes a copy that is the actual size of the file on the disk, for example my gf has asked me to sort out making copies of the vampire diaries for her, each episode it roughly 6gb each, there are about 22 episodes each season and there are 8 seasons... That’s 1056gb so if I can half that, that would be great, guess I just need to play with the handbrake setting to try and get it to go a little faster, the H265 1080 preset take a little over 3 hours and episode...

Yes, this is a normal workflow for encoding physical media: rip to HD -> convert to final format. Powershell is your friend, assuming you can handle command line stuff. :)

2 hours ago, asquirrel said:

Yes, this is a normal workflow for encoding physical media: rip to HD -> convert to final format. Powershell is your friend, assuming you can handle command line stuff. :)

oooo do share?

I don't actually have a powershell script I use. I just know it can be done because I've used FFMPEG enough to know it's do-able. That said...I do have a movie or two that I wish weren't ripped to HD as blu-rays and were, instead, H264s...if I reply, it's because my laziness was overcome by my frustration with this. Don't hold your breath, those files have been there for over a year.

2 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

I don't actually have a powershell script I use. I just know it can be done because I've used FFMPEG enough to know it's do-able. That said...I do have a movie or two that I wish weren't ripped to HD as blu-rays and were, instead, H264s...if I reply, it's because my laziness was overcome by my frustration with this. Don't hold your breath, those files have been there for over a year.

fair enough, I'll do some googling and see what I can do, tbh I have it running on my old gaming pc mostly so its kinda just make a long ass queue and then leave it for a week

Perfect! I was more commenting to tell you there's a limit on how good the solution can be, and you seem to already be at/near it.

Just now, asquirrel said:

Perfect! I was more commenting to tell you there's a limit on how good the solution can be, and you seem to already be at/near it.

ya I had a feeling there wasn't much I could do other than buy more hardware to make it go faster

currently messing with setting so see if that can be dropped to get the time frame a bit shorter, hope you guys are having more fun than me, currently browsing old servers on ebay to make a render box...

If you decide to go the hardware route, scrapyard wars / some linus videos have the right idea. Fleabay is awash with older Xeon hardware for dirt cheap (I'm talking 10 core procs for < $30 each). I had an old co-worker who would go onto scam-bay and buy all his hardware from there for his rendering boxes. As some point, a $500 pc that has 40 cores will out-render most things that cost $2000+.

2 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

If you decide to go the hardware route, scrapyard wars / some linus videos have the right idea. Fleabay is awash with older Xeon hardware for dirt cheap (I'm talking 10 core procs for < $30 each). I had an old co-worker who would go onto scam-bay and buy all his hardware from there for his rendering boxes. As some point, a $500 pc that has 40 cores will out-render most things that cost $2000+.

I'm torn, on the 1 hand its super fun to make a render box out of old gear, and have it to make my life faster, but on the other hand I fly "one way" to syndey in 74 days so really shouldn't spend money on hardware right now...