Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoolMarquis97

Computer hard crashes upon launching any video game [Ryzen 3600 + MSI B450 Tomahawk].

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
So just last night, I upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 on a MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard with DDR4 3200. My PC was gaming absolutely fine yesterday. However, today upon launching any game, sometimes my PC hard locks instantly, and other times I can play for about 5 minutes before my screen goes black and then my monitor proceeds to tell me that it is going to sleep. I'm given no error message, no BSOD, no nothing. It just hard crashes, I can hear the audio continuously loop, and the only way I get it to stop is by holding down the power button. I know this isn't detailed at all but I really have no fucking idea what is causing this crash. If anyone has run into this issue or has any possible idea please help, this has been the absolute upgrade from hell.
 
I've tried updated graphics drivers and updated the bios.
 
Thanks!
Link to post
Share on other sites

is it the temps?


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

PS: i cooled a Ryzen 5 3600(65W) with ID cooling SE207 (200W-250W tdp lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

is it the temps?

CPU temp is sitting around 65 C to 70 C when gaming which I assume is normal. It's a really bizarre issue where I can't even tell what is crashing because the screen instantly goes black and my only option is to continuously reset and run the same programs over and over again trying to figure out what exactly is causing the issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

CPU temp is sitting around 65 C to 70 C when gaming which I assume is normal. It's a really bizarre issue where I can't even tell what is crashing because the screen instantly goes black and my only option is to continuously reset and run the same programs over and over again trying to figure out what exactly is causing the issue. 

well, i had the same issues with my old 1060 (before it died because of corrosion :/)

 

now do you have enough power from PSU?


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

PS: i cooled a Ryzen 5 3600(65W) with ID cooling SE207 (200W-250W tdp lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Martin2132 said:

well, i had the same issues with my old 1060 (before it died because of corrosion :/)

 

now do you have enough power from PSU?

I would assume so. Got a 750watt PSU. I'm going to just unplug all the internal wires and pray that it is just a loose connection somewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

is the motherboard new?

if yes, did you reinstall windows?

if no, did you update bios?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Derrk said:

is the motherboard new?

if yes, did you reinstall windows?

if no, did you update bios?

Yup, brand new motherboard and I did reinstall windows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Yup, brand new motherboard and I did reinstall windows. 

is it a tomahawk MAX variant?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

no, it's just the basic Tomahawk. 

it'll need a bios update to be fully compatible with ryzen 3000 series

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

CPU temp is sitting around 65 C to 70 C when gaming which I assume is normal. It's a really bizarre issue where I can't even tell what is crashing because the screen instantly goes black and my only option is to continuously reset and run the same programs over and over again trying to figure out what exactly is causing the issue. 

I had a very similar issue with R 3600 and MSI Tomahawk MAX,  except it would freeze / reboot / boot into bios *only* while idling   I had absolutely no issues whatsoever while gaming weirdly,  returned the POS and now am using my good old MSI B350M Mortar with the R 3600 and it's working fine. 

 

 

As an aside I don't think that's normal, my 3600 barely reaches 54C while playing demanding games (usually between 40-98% usage on all cores too so it's not like it's sleeping while I play) 


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Derrk said:

it'll need a bios update to be fully compatible with ryzen 3000 series

But would it even boot without the correct BIOS? 

 

I think you're right but that sure is weird that it even boots with a not compatible BIOS no?


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clear CMOS/load optimized defaults, disable PBO and set dram speed, dram voltage and timings manually.


CPU: Intel i7 9700K@testing new settings| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb, 4400mhz (B-Die) | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | 

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

But would it even boot without the correct BIOS? 

 

I think you're right but that sure is weird that it even boots with a not compatible BIOS no?

im surprised as well. I've never been in that position, but i had assumed it couldn't boot with an incompatible bios. it doesn't hurt to try though! let me know if helps at all

another possibility is incompatible memory. ryzen is a bit finicky with ram, so you could try reducing the memory overclock below xmp. also check your motherboards QVL to see if your memory its listed as compatible.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, Martin2132 said:

well, i had the same issues with my old 1060 (before it died because of corrosion :/)

 

now do you have enough power from PSU?

 

On 11/19/2019 at 3:03 AM, Mark Kaine said:

I had a very similar issue with R 3600 and MSI Tomahawk MAX,  except it would freeze / reboot / boot into bios *only* while idling   I had absolutely no issues whatsoever while gaming weirdly,  returned the POS and now am using my good old MSI B350M Mortar with the R 3600 and it's working fine. 

 

 

As an aside I don't think that's normal, my 3600 barely reaches 54C while playing demanding games (usually between 40-98% usage on all cores too so it's not like it's sleeping while I play) 

Any resolution to the MSI Tomahawk MAX, I have the same idle issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MajorMaxima said:

 

Any resolution to the MSI Tomahawk MAX, I have the same idle issue.

Nope. It could have been the BIOS / chipset drivers but I never managed to actually update the BIOS since it's a very convoluted process on MSI boards and simply didn't work or was defective. 

 

After a few days I had enough and simply send it back to the seller and now am using my old B350M board,  where it was also really difficult to update the BIOS but I eventually managed... No big issues with that + Ryzen 3600, no crashes,  mysterious reboots etc.  :)


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×