Need new GPU, help!

Dayglorange
28 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

Fury was only 4GB, but it was HBM. I never ran into memory problems, surprisingly, even at 4k with that card. I definitely want to go for 8GB for whatever I get next, but I'm hesitant to go for a 590 because it might not perform as well at 4k from what I've read.

Ive already had to download special legacy compatibility stuff to make my 4gb card work at all in a game.  I’ve never owned a fury, all I got is a 970.  A 580 is 60% faster than what I got and a 590 is faster than that.  HBM is nice, but it’s not HBM2 or even gddr6.  Yes HBM is better than gddr5.  The 590 has twice as much of it though, and less performance in all other ways.  It’s basically a wash.  Maybe gain a little.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-590.c3322

look at relative performance at the bottom.  The 590 is faster than your fury.   Faster By almost nothing, but it’s not slower.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Well, I might have to pull the trigger on a new card sooner rather than later and settle for what I can get. I think this GPU might be on the outs because I just had a black screen crash when tabbing back in to a game. Either that, or the PSU could be the culprit according to Event Viewer logs and bugcheck codes. It might have also just been a random fluke because I was also adjusting the fan curve while it happened, though I was doing the same thing earlier today and had no problems. I hate my garbage luck with technology. ?

6 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

Well, I might have to pull the trigger on a new card sooner rather than later and settle for what I can get. I think this GPU might be on the outs because I just had a black screen crash when tabbing back in to a game. Either that, or the PSU could be the culprit according to Event Viewer logs and bugcheck codes. It might have also just been a random fluke because I was also adjusting the fan curve while it happened, though I was doing the same thing earlier today and had no problems. I hate my garbage luck with technology. ?

If you can eek out a few more months with it it seems navi2 (what kind unknown) is possibly getting announced in at a computing event in a couple months.  They’re talking about a cheaper version of HBM2 on the new cards

Edited by Bombastinator
Addendum

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

If you can eek out a few more months with it it seems navi2 (what kind unknown) is possibly getting announced in at a computing event in a couple months. 

See, I was hoping to make this card last at least until Christmas when I should have some more funds, and hopefully there are more sales, but I just never know anymore. My first R9 270X didn't even last a year before it died, my Fury was fine until it wasn't, I've gone through 3 PSUs already since I first built my system, and I've already had to exchange the CPU and RAM on this build when I upgraded a few months ago because I couldn't figure out for sure what was faulty. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it was just a momentary glitch.

15 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

See, I was hoping to make this card last at least until Christmas when I should have some more funds, and hopefully there are more sales, but I just never know anymore. My first R9 270X didn't even last a year before it died, my Fury was fine until it wasn't, I've gone through 3 PSUs already since I first built my system, and I've already had to exchange the CPU and RAM on this build when I upgraded a few months ago because I couldn't figure out for sure what was faulty. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it was just a momentary glitch.

So we’re both waiting to see what happens at this computer expo.  I’m extra curious about this hybrid HBM2 they’re talking bout for the new cards now.  I’m glad this thread caused me to learn more about HBM stuff.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

So we’re both waiting to see what happens at this computer expo.  I’m extra curious about this hybrid HBM2 they’re talking bout for the new cards now.  I’m glad this thread caused me to learn more about HBM stuff.

Hybrid HBM2? I know a fair bit about HBM/HBM2 as I'm a huge tech nerd and spend my spare time just researching stuff, but I've never heard of a hybrid HBM2. I'll have to look that up and see if its worth waiting to find out if it's going to be in any upcoming cards.

2 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

Hybrid HBM2? I know a fair bit about HBM/HBM2 as I'm a huge tech nerd and spend my spare time just researching stuff, but I've never heard of a hybrid HBM2. I'll have to look that up and see if its worth waiting to find out if it's going to be in any upcoming cards.

It’s apparently new with this card. Basically they found a cheaper way to do HBM2. or something.  Maybe.  I got it off of “hot news”.  I’d link it but I don’t know if that’s allowed here.