Need new GPU, help!

Dayglorange

Basically, I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what my upgrade path is going to be. Originally, I'd settled on getting an RX 5700 XT once I had the money, but that plan went out the window when my R9 Fury died. I got $250 back for it from my replacement plan with Newegg, and after doing some research I really can't find anything comparable to my Fury for that price. Problem is, I am stuck with an R9 270X until I can get a new card, and its not able to push my 4K display like my Fury could. I can't find another Fury for the same price, even used, on Newegg, or I would just get another one. And that 250$ is a Newegg-only gift card so I'm stuck trying to find something there, and I can't shop around like I would normally.

I've read a bunch of stuff about the RX 5700s having some horrid driver issues and such, which makes a little less inclined to go for that now. My other thought was to just wait until I have enough money to go for a Vega or a Radeon VII instead. Unless I can find a sub-$250 GPU that will perform as well at 4k 60hz or better than my Fury, I'm probably going to have to wait. That said, if anyone has any suggestions, knowing I'm limited to Newegg right now - I could use some ideas.

If it helps my current system specs: Ryzen 5 3600, ASRock X570 Steel Legend, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3000mhz, Samsung 970 EVO m.2, Corsair 750W PSU, and my good old Sapphire R9 270X Toxic, the first GPU I ever bought for myself.

you could get a 1660 super for like 220-230$, should perform close to a r9 fury.

I actually haven't heard of anything terrible about the driver issues on the RDNA cards.

A RX 5700 blower with a undervolt should do fine too (330$)

You could probably sell you 270X toxic for a 50-70$

wait.

your gpu died and you didn't get all of your money back???

btw try to check the 1660 Super that's out soon should be very good

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

you could get a 1660 super for like 220-230$, should perform close to a r9 fury.

I actually haven't heard of anything terrible about the driver issues on the RDNA cards.

A RX 5700 blower with a undervolt should do fine too (330$)

You could probably sell you 270X toxic for a 50-70$

yes but in most games 5700 will be faster. AND DONT get a blower its loud anyway. There are some custom models wich are only a bit more

For example this XFX. Not the best but WAY more silent than the blower card! https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tt7p99/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-dd-ultra-video-card-rx-57xl8lbd6

Idd recoupment spending the extra Bucks on this and then having a GPU wich is a god portion faster than your Fury :) was.

And also: WTF is wrong with Newegg 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

11 minutes ago, flashiling said:

wait.

your gpu died and you didn't get all of your money back???

btw try to check the 1660 Super that's out soon should be very good

lol I only paid $250+tax and $50 for a 3-year warranty when I bought it nearly 3 years ago. Brand new. It was a good deal, and considering my 270X died the SAME day I bought it, it worked out well. I sent the 270X back to Sapphire and got a replacement under their warranty (Had to pay shipping) so that's the only reason I even have a working GPU at all right now.

8 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yes but in most games 5700 will be faster. AND DONT get a blower its loud anyway. There are some custom models wich are only a bit more

I don't really care about the noise, my neighbors make more noise than my PC most of the time ? but blowers tend to run hotter, don't they? I do care about temps as I'm pretty sure that's what killed my Fury. The thermal paste was actually burnt when I opened it up after it died.

34 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Idk what you mean there. But I have no problem with them, I'm just annoyed that my refund was a Newegg gift card and not like a Visa I could use anywhere in case I found a better deal on like Amazon or something.

EDIT: What about crossfire my R9 270X? https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-r9-270x-100364txsr/p/N82E16814202047 ???

2 hours ago, Dayglorange said:

Idk what you mean there. But I have no problem with them, I'm just annoyed that my refund was a Newegg gift card and not like a Visa I could use anywhere in case I found a better deal on like Amazon or something.

EDIT: What about crossfire my R9 270X? https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-r9-270x-100364txsr/p/N82E16814202047 ???

well ok I am form Europe so no idea how those things are handled in US, but here I expect refund on my credit card etc.

but any way: crossfires is close to death and awefull perf in newer games

2 hours ago, Dayglorange said:

lol I only paid $250+tax and $50 for a 3-year warranty when I bought it nearly 3 years ago. Brand new. It was a good deal, and considering my 270X died the SAME day I bought it, it worked out well. I sent the 270X back to Sapphire and got a replacement under their warranty (Had to pay shipping) so that's the only reason I even have a working GPU at all right now.

I don't really care about the noise, my neighbors make more noise than my PC most of the time ? but blowers tend to run hotter, don't they? I do care about temps as I'm pretty sure that's what killed my Fury. The thermal paste was actually burnt when I opened it up after it died.

Oh okay. Then get a blower 5700 and get nice paste on there (doesn’t void warranty; see GNs article about it)

4 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

For example this XFX. Not the best but WAY more silent than the blower card! https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tt7p99/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-dd-ultra-video-card-rx-57xl8lbd6

Idd recoupment spending the extra Bucks on this and then having a GPU wich is a god portion faster than your Fury :) was.

Yes.

But a 5700 costs ~100$ more than a 1660. ofc it'd be faster

i guess the XFX would be better than a blower, but on the 5700 its actually not bad. It's a blower designed for Vega's (250W) on a 180W card)

23 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Yes.

But a 5700 costs ~100$ more than a 1660. ofc it'd be faster

i guess the XFX would be better than a blower, but on the 5700 its actually not bad. It's a blower designed for Vega's (250W) on a 180W card)

yeh with a bit of undervolting it should be ok

OP started having no issue with a bit of noise 

oh.

18 hours ago, Dayglorange said:

I bought it nearly 3 years ago

i thought you bought it recently.

since in denmark you have a 2 year full return warrenty on internet shopping i thought something was off :D

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

4 hours ago, flashiling said:

oh.

since in denmark you have a 2 year full return warrenty on internet shopping i thought something was off :D

Dang that’s that’s pretty nice

12 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Dang that’s that’s pretty nice

yea. i returned my razer man'o war after 1 year and 9 months because the resting pad at the top of the headset that makes it comfortable to wear decided to snap.

got a full return of 1050dkk (155$)

On 11/13/2019 at 1:47 AM, flashiling said:

oh.

I wish that were the case here, but I'm in the US and warranty/return policies are all the feck over the place depending on where you bought it from. The card itself came with I think a 2-year warranty from Sapphire, but I contacted them and they said it was no longer under warranty and they don't make them anymore (there isn't even a page for the Fury on their site anymore). I was a dumb and at first I forgot that I bought the 3-year extra warranty via Newegg (which actually went through Square Trade, that was fun hunting it down because they changed providers since I bought it and I never got any emails or notifications about it) so in the end I'm only out the $50 I spent on the plan + tax/shipping from when I bought the card, since I didn't have to pay to ship it back and I got back what I paid for it when I bought it. I only wish that I could either find another Fury for the same price, or that they'd given me a generic Visa gift card so I could buy from wherever instead of being stuck to only Newegg (nothing wrong with Newegg, I just sometimes find better prices elsewhere).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wait til I can afford an RX 5700 or potentially grab a Vega or Radeon VII, depending on what goes on sale and how much money I'll have to spend past the $250 I got back. I'm currently broke and in between jobs or I'd already have ordered something. I'm still torn between either Sapphire or ASRock for my next card though, considering both my GPUs that I've had die were Sapphire and I've had 3 ASRock motherboards with zero issues. I'm very wary to try brands I'm not as familiar with personally. I might give an Asus card a shot seeing as my Asus display is still serving me well 5 years later. I'm hoping there will be some good sales this holiday season, or someone takes pity on me and I get a buttload of money for Christmas and/or my birthday in January...

11 hours ago, Dayglorange said:

I'm still torn between either Sapphire or ASRock for my next card though

ASRock has an extra year on their manufacturer warranties. (3 years total) Might be worth it considering your current experience.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

3 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

ASRock has an extra year on their manufacturer warranties. (3 years total) Might be worth it considering your current experience.

Correct, but in my experience Saphire has the better build quality. But OP cant go wrong with either of those!

Vega 56 is around 270$ at Newegg. Sure, it is blower, but with undervolt it will run ok. If you  luck out and get Samsung HBM2, you will have option of flashing it to Vega 64 BIOS, with a proper cooler you will get 2070 performance out of it (faster than 5700)

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

9 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

(faster than 5700)

But not in gaming. The 5700 still generally beats the V64 for gaming.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

16 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

But not in gaming. The 5700 still generally beats the V64 for gaming.

Yes, in gaming too, considering that flashed Vega 56 is about the same performance as RTX 2070. 
Out of the box, Vega cards suffer from factory overvoltage and memory bottleneck. By flashing and undervolting the card, you eliminate both issues.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

The problem I am having is “r9 fury” is a bit vague to do useful checking with.  What make and model was the original card?

I notice you mention sapphire.  Was it a saphire nitro x fury?

The problem seems to be you got a spanking deal on a card,  back in the day.  So good that even when it died and you got your money back, it wasn’t enough money to buy a card as good even though there have been tech improvements.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:30 AM, Bombastinator said:

The problem I am having is “r9 fury” is a bit vague to do useful checking with.  What make and model was the original card?

I notice you mention sapphire.  Was it a saphire nitro x fury?

The problem seems to be you got a spanking deal on a card,  back in the day.  So good that even when it died and you got your money back, it wasn’t enough money to buy a card as good even though there have been tech improvements.

Yes, it was a Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury, (not a Fury X) and it was an amazing card. Like I've mentioned, I'd just buy the same card if I could find one for the same price but I'm limited to buying from Newegg because of how my warranty refund worked. Newegg has a used one for about $300 which I can't really justify for a used card even one as great as the Fury. So yeah, I'm kind forked til I can scrape up enough money to go for a better card or hope the ones I'm looking at for viable replacements drop in price (and preferably before my old card that I'm using in the interim decides to die - again) or something new comes out at the right price point.

I just can't really do much with the card I'm stuck with and was hoping to get back in working order sooner rather than later. Chalk it up to the instant gratification culture I was raised in, I guess. I'm impatient, especially when it comes to working on my computer.

3 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

Yes, it was a Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury, (not a Fury X) and it was an amazing card. Like I've mentioned, I'd just buy the same card if I could find one for the same price but I'm limited to buying from Newegg because of how my warranty refund worked. Newegg has a used one for about $300 which I can't really justify for a used card even one as great as the Fury. So yeah, I'm kind forked til I can scrape up enough money to go for a better card or hope the ones I'm looking at for viable replacements drop in price (and preferably before my old card that I'm using in the interim decides to die - again) or something new comes out at the right price point.

I just can't really do much with the card I'm stuck with and was hoping to get back in working order sooner rather than later. Chalk it up to the instant gratification culture I was raised in, I guess. I'm impatient, especially when it comes to working on my computer.

Well they do like their Black Friday stuff at Newegg.  So much they’ve already started it.  You may get lucky.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well they do like their Black Friday stuff at Newegg.  So much they’ve already started it.  You may get lucky.

That's what I'm hoping, but so far nothing I've had my eye on has changed price at all. I got really lucky with my Fury when I got that, my luck might have all been spent on that. I literally bought that card at a badass price on the very exact day my GPU at that time died on me lol

2 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

That's what I'm hoping, but so far nothing I've had my eye on has changed price at all. I got really lucky with my Fury when I got that, my luck might have all been spent on that. I literally bought that card at a badass price on the very exact day my GPU at that time died on me lol

Well if it helps any i was checking relative performance. And apparently the fury is more or less on par with a 590 performance wise. A 1660S won’t mop the floor with it but it would be comfortably ahead. I dunno about memory size on the fury.  I personally wouldn’t look at anything with less than 8gb lately.

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well if it helps any i was checking relative performance. And apparently the fury is more or less on par with a 590 performance wise. A 1660S won’t mop the floor with it but it would be comfortably ahead. I dunno about memory size on the fury.  I personally wouldn’t look at anything with less than 8gb lately.

Fury was only 4GB, but it was HBM. I never ran into memory problems, surprisingly, even at 4k with that card. I definitely want to go for 8GB for whatever I get next, but I'm hesitant to go for a 590 because it might not perform as well at 4k from what I've read.