cpu temp very high on idle

i have a ryzen 7 2700x with no overclock even memory, when idle it sits around 90c, when i start playing games or going on the internet i believe its getting to hot and shutting down, i have tried different coolers i thought my pump when on my aio but tried that on a different CPU and temp is good pump is working, then tried a arctic cooler and same result. the most i have seen it hit was 110c and thats really hot..Can anyone help?

Your CPU Heatsink isnt installed like it should be.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Are you using thermal paste, because it really doesn't sound like you are? You should be using a small pea sized amount on your CPU's IHS. Just double check that you're properly mounting your cooler. 

15 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

Are you using thermal paste, because it really doesn't sound like you are? You should be using a small pea sized amount on your CPU's IHS. Just double check that you're properly mounting your cooler. 

i am using thermal paste been building pcs for quite sometime now. i have read online that it could be malware that could possibly cause this issue

34 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Your CPU Heatsink isn't installed like it should be.

pretty straight forward on how to install a CPU cooler that i have installed many times on different computers.

1 minute ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

i am using thermal paste been building pcs for quite sometime now. i have read online that it could be malware that could possibly cause this issue

Does anything stand out as abnormal in task manager under processes?

Just now, alarmingtugboat97 said:

it just doesn't make sense on what it could be. maybe mobo or CPU causing problems

CPU-->Heat-->Heatsink

Thats basic Physics. The MB has nothing to do with it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Ehmc130 said:

Does anything stand out as abnormal in task manager under processes?

ill have to check didn't really want to turn it on since it did that but ill check and get back to you.

My motherboard didn't set the fan header to cpu temp so it would idle. Check that.

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

CPU-->Heat-->Heatsink

Thats basic Physics. The MB has nothing to do with it.

motherboard does have VRMS but that shouldn't even be getting hot with no overclock. i have another system that is a i7 3770 with a bclk overclock to 4.3ghz cpu never goes over 46c..

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

My motherboard didn't set the fan header to CPU temp so it would idle. Check that.

ill have to double check that. could be could not. never know though.

9 minutes ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

ill have to check didn't really want to turn it on since it did that but ill check and get back to you.

Also check with Malwarebytes and Windows defender. 

And even if you know how it works,  re apply thermal paste and check you really seated everything right.. 

I just built my first PC last year - and while it mostly is really easy and stuff,  it's also really easy to make a mistake.

There must be something wrong, obviously,  and it'd be interesting to know what that is,  personally I had zero issues with the two Ryzen CPUs I own (2200G and 3600)

My suspicion would also be on not correctly seated heat sink or bad paste job,  but ultimately I don't know,  it's curious for sure. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also check with Malwarebytes and Windows defender. 

And even if you know how it works,  re apply thermal paste and check you really seated everything right.. 

I just built my first PC last year - and while it mostly is really easy and stuff,  it's also really easy to make a mistake.

There must be something wrong, obviously,  and it'd be interesting to know what that is,  personally I had zero issues with the two Ryzen CPUs I own (2200G and 3600)

My suspicion would also be on not correctly seated heat sink or bad paste job,  but ultimately I don't know,  it's curious for sure. 

will post back in a while gotta get it hocked up and going move some stuff around also.

Physically check temps of the HSF base and the back of the MB.  Its possible that the CPU has an improperly calibrated or faulty temp sensor.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Physically check temps of the HSF base and the back of the MB.  Its possible that the CPU has an improperly calibrated or faulty temp sensor.

thank you for the tip.

2 minutes ago, alarmingtugboat97 said:

thank you for the tip.

Some motherboards also had issues with temp readings from the CPU itself, I beleive it was corrected with a BIOS update.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:10 AM, offweek said:

Have you checked the temp in BIOS after a cold boot?  Eliminates the queries about software and fans (the HS will take time to warm before the effect of the fan is meaningful).

temp in bios is high, still haven't had much time to fix the issue yet.

23 hours ago, Mustangmatt215 said:

Did you plug your aio pump in the right header?

yes aio is plugged into pump header, i have also tried it on other mobos and its working very good on other cpus.