How Safe Are The Synthetic Leathers Used On Gaming / Office Chairs?

Crosseyed Sniper

Have you ever given this much thought? No? Me neither. Until I recently read about the health dangers of PVC, which is used in certain synthetic leathers you will find on most every gaming, or office chair. Of course, it's used for many other things as well. I know a lot of you may find this thread ridiculous, and I really can't blame you, but I also can't help but wonder, just how safe is this stuff? Is that chair you're sitting in right now really endangering your health? Hell, is the one i am sitting in right now endangering my health? ?

Then, I read this article. https://www.carlislesyntec.com/download.aspx?id=5534&fileID=6830

What do you all think? A cause for concern? Or, much about nothing?

Maybe Linus and his team could do some investigating about this. Surely they have a lot of contacts for companies that make gaming chairs. Maybe some questions could be asked, and some answers provided here.

For me personally, it is a no.

I'm thinking of ergonomics of the chair is much more relevant than the materials that is being used in the chair.

This is personal opinion. Please don't kill me.

Would you go crazy if I told you that all food in restaurants is stored in plastic and portioned in plastic bags too.

Think about the emissions from all internal combustion vehicles.

Uv rays

Neutrinos ?

Exposure to anything has risks of anything, but pvc is low because... It's pvc. And pvc pipes carry drinking water which most of the population drinks from. (sorry flint Michigan)

Your buttocks are fine bud.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, emosun said:

....... that webpage looks like it's from 10 years ago

Possibly. But there are other pages saying the same thing.

Just now, SleepingGiant said:

For me personally, it is a no.

I'm thinking of ergonomics of the chair is much more relevant than the materials that is being used in the chair.

This is personal opinion. Please don't kill me.

Oh, I can agree. And no worries, just something a little different for us to discuss around here. Thanks for posting.

ok so yeah that page actually is quite old , and the main website appears to just be some organization that only protests basically anything ever.

the page indicates that they have influenced large companies such as sears and kmart........ sears and kmart...........

From some slight looking around nothing in depth, but everything I've found has shown these chairs using PU(Polyurethane) not PVC(Polyvinyl chloride).

So if you find a brand that uses PVC, link it so I can take a look. Otherwise you're fine.

Edit: GTRacing, AmazonBasics, use PVC, seems like the much cheaper ones use PVC over PU.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:14 PM, emosun said:

ok so yeah that page actually is quite old , and the main website appears to just be some organization that only protests basically anything ever.

the page indicates that they have influenced large companies such as sears and kmart........ sears and kmart...........

https://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/opmrdd/health/pvc.html

On 10/27/2019 at 11:15 PM, Labeled said:

From some slight looking around nothing in depth, but everything I've found has shown these chairs using PU(Polyurethane) not PVC(Polyvinyl chloride).

So if you find a brand that uses PVC, link it so I can take a look. Otherwise you're fine.

From my recent research of gaming / office chairs, I see many different brands using PVC leather on their chairs. Seriously, pick a brand, and I bet they make one covered in PVC leather.

For the record, this is not something I am freaking out over, just something I am curious about. Who knows, maybe there is something to be concerned about.

16 minutes ago, veldora said:

Would you go crazy if I told you that all food in restaurants is stored in plastic and portioned in plastic bags too.

Think about the emissions from all internal combustion vehicles.

Uv rays

Neutrinos ?

Exposure to anything has risks of anything, but pvc is low because... It's pvc. And pvc pipes carry drinking water which most of the population drinks from. (sorry flint Michigan)

Your buttocks are fine bud.

If my ass cheeks fall off in the near future, you're going to be the first to hear about it! ? But yeah, I hear what you're saying.

4 minutes ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

maybe there is something to be concerned about

This should be right under the welcome sign to every florida baby boomer HOA neighborhood ever.

-> Moved to Off Topic

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv