Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PetrPospi

Ryzen 7 3700X + MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, i want to buy Ryzen 7 3700X and use it with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX since it supports Ryzen 3gen out of the box. Is it good idea? Will there by any performance loss againts some low-end X570 MB? Is the price difference really wurf againts Ryzen5 3600X or should i stick with 3600X and Tomahawk MAX since im "on budget" and cant afford good X570MB for Ryzen 7?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PetrPospi said:

Hello, i want to buy Ryzen 7 3700X and use it with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX since it supports Ryzen 3gen out of the box. Is it good idea? Will there by any performance loss againts some low-end X570 MB? Is the price difference really wurf againts Ryzen5 3600X or should i stick with 3600X and Tomahawk MAX since im "on budget" and cant afford good X570MB for Ryzen 7?

 

The b450 will be enough even for a 3900x. Though if you are on a budget you could go for a 3600 (non x). x570 is usefull if you use gen 4 NVMe SSD otherwise the Asus x570-P is a good motherboard and kinda cheap (160 USD).


My computer

CPU : I7-8700k  4,7 GHz

CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U14S

GPU : Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB NITRO+

Motherboard : Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 MHz

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2,5" + Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME

HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM 

Case : Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S Black

PSU : Corsair HX Platinum 850 W

Others : Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 top exhaust

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 front intake, x1 rear exhaust, x1 on the CPU cooler

Noctua NA-HC6 chromax.black on the CPU cooler

 

Wife computer

CPU : AMD R5 3600 4GHz

CPU cooler : be quiet! Dark Rock 4

GPU : Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+

Motherboard : MSI B450 Tomahawk

RAM : 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3000MHz

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2,5"

HDD : Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Case : Fractal Design Define C TG

PSU : Corsair TXM 550 W

 

Aorus AD27QD

"I can highly recommend the Gigabyte monitor, loved it since day one. Works flawless with nvidia cards; great price too, as I paid €599 at launch"

@Stormseeker9

Link to post
Share on other sites

no, thats a great pair. Truthfully, x570 boards are not necessary since all you gain really is PCIE gen 4, which 99% of us will never be able to use to its full potential because of our use case and louder systems overall due to a fan on the chipset. 


PSU Tier List Thread

 

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only real loss will be full PCIe 4.0 support (And the features that brings); but overall you probably would not notice much difference, if anything.

 

I would recommend downloading the manual for that board as MSI is pretty good about showing what the PCIe lanes do depending on the generation you run in it. At a glance I don't see any issues, especially if you want out of box compatibility.


Remember to quote or tag @Andrew 1337 so I see your reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

nice, thx alot... so my future setup will be looking like this: Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX, HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 and Aorus RX570 4GB... is everythink ok like this? Do you see any possible problems here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PetrPospi said:

nice, thx alot... so my future setup will be looking like this: Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX, HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 and Aorus RX570 4GB... is everythink ok like this? Do you see any possible problems here?

Is this just for gaming? If so maybe consider stepping down to the 3600 and spend a couple more bucks on the GPU. The RX570 is just gonna be playing catch up with the 3700X all the time.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, BigRom said:

Is this just for gaming? If so maybe consider stepping down to the 3600 and spend a couple more bucks on the GPU. The RX570 is just gonna be playing catch up with the 3700X all the time.

I already have RX570 running on my old setup.. now i just want to upgrade rest of the components and yes, it will be mostly for gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PetrPospi said:

I already have RX570 running on my old setup.. now i just want to upgrade rest of the components and yes, it will be mostly for gaming

Ah then carry on, GPU upgrade can always come later. 


CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Ah then carry on, GPU upgrade can always come later. 

ok, so you dont see any problems with this CPU x RAM x MB x GPU combo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PetrPospi said:

ok, so you dont see any problems with this CPU x RAM x MB x GPU combo?

Not really, apart from I'm slightly skeptical of the RAM as Kingston wouldn't play nice with my old 2200G and basically BSOD-ed the crap out of my friend's Ryzen 1700 the entire time we tested it with his rig

 

Thats about the only concern I have anyway, maybe I was just unlucky.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2400Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Buy VPN

×