OBS recording looks trash

Need_Not

So i would like to use obs just because it's powerful, simple to use, and has replay buffer which i like to use for recording epic plays without recording 24/7

but the only issue and with other recorders is the compression, now this might seem simple! just up your bitrate but that's not the case! i have my bitrate at 40 mb while most people use 3 mb and my videos still look trash!

SOMEONE HELP ME!

Screenshot_1.png.5bd7a8d48cf73c6999b3db7059610731.pngScreenshot_2.png.4be20b59b5d9d0a93919b4e4537f160e.png

and just to see what the output is once i upload to yt is...

Just some random guy who has a gaming computer to play on his Minecraft server

2 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

What is your CPU/GPU?

OBS's replay function never worked for me, but your GPU has a replay recording function in it's drivers that should work fine.

Your bitrate is just overloading your CPU most likely, for recording you can just switch to CRF and set it to like 24-28 with very fast

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1) It's not that bad

2) You've set it to "veryfast" aka "lowest quality".

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

1) It's not that bad

2) You've set it to "very fast" aka "lowest quality".

Very Fast is more like average quality, utrafast is bad whenever there's motion.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

OK not lowest of the lows, but pretty bad :P

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What is your CPU/GPU?

OBS's replay function never worked for me, but your GPU has a replay recording function in it's drivers that should work fine.

Your bitrate is just overloading your CPU most likely, for recording you can just switch to CRF and set it to like 24-28 with very fast

amd 3700x and msi rtx 2080 so i think i got that down

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

1) It's not that bad

2) You've set it to "veryfast" aka "lowest quality".

ill try

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

OK not lowest of the lows, but pretty bad :P

Minus youtube compression here's CRF 28 I think Very Fast at 4k

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

amd 3700x and msi rtx 2080 so i think i got that down

ill try

You need to lower your bitrate to like 10,000 kbps, which is like 10mbps or what mixer/twitch allows at max sometimes for some people, 6mbps is more typical, but you really only need to worry about that for streaming, for local recordings use CRF.

But you have a 2080 you should just be using NVENC in OBS rather than your CPU, or record using Shadowplay in your drivers.

Having the 8 core CPU will let you do things like use OBS plug ins for overlays without a hitch in the stream while your GPU does the encoding work with it's hardware encoder

just watch this guy's channel, or join their discord.

Your CPU is fine doing 1080p faster recording at CRF 24-28, not sure what it's bitrate limit is but yours is way too high

Spoiler

Also show the advanced panel...

make sure you record in NV12 , 709 , full

As you have a nvidia card, you could use NVEnc and encode the video using the video card. Maybe use it for streaming, or

For high quality recording using cpu, select x264 as you already have

Use CRF mode, set the quality somewhere around 10-15. The default is 23 I think (lower number means more disk space used, more quality)

Use preset veryfast or better. superfast and ultrafast have some settings that will cause quality drop

if you want highest quality, you can try lossless mode of x264 but keep in mind the video may be harder to edit in various programs like Premiere, Davinci Resolve etc afterwards. You'll have to try

See the instructions I wrote a while ago in the thread below, about using CRF 0 but setting the -qp 0 and --profile high444 in the extra options field which should switch x264 from CRF to QP 0 which means lossless encoding (besides the other suggested options that are shown in the picture)... also keep in mind since it's lossless video you can use the "ultrafast" quality preset, as in lossless mode these presets only trade cpu for disk space, it's like choosing between fast, medium or slow compression

i think i fixed it! the issue was that i had it on fast no wonder i didn't drop fps

On 10/20/2019 at 2:39 PM, Streetguru said:

You need to lower your bitrate to like 10,000 kbps, which is like 10mbps or what mixer/twitch allows at max sometimes for some people, 6mbps is more typical, but you really only need to worry about that for streaming, for local recordings use CRF.

But you have a 2080 you should just be using NVENC in OBS rather than your CPU, or record using Shadowplay in your drivers.

Having the 8 core CPU will let you do things like use OBS plug ins for overlays without a hitch in the stream while your GPU does the encoding work with it's hardware encoder

just watch this guy's channel, or join their discord.

Your CPU is fine doing 1080p faster recording at CRF 24-28, not sure what it's bitrate limit is but yours is way too high

Wait so my cpu has been recording while my gpu does nothing?!?

10 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

Wait so my cpu has been recording while my gpu does nothing?!?

If you are using x264 in OBS yes

You should switch it to NVENC x264

And if you are doing local recordings, then use CRF/QP at 28-24 rather than using bitrates.

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you are using x264 in OBS yes

You should switch it to NVENC x264

And if you are doing local recordings, then use CRF/QP at 28-24 rather than using bitrates.

it still not giving a very satifiying result that i was hoping for

30 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

it still not giving a very satifiying result that i was hoping for

What settings are you using? It should have no issues doing even 4k 60fps with NVENC

and did you already check out the videos on epos vox's channel?

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Streetguru said:

What settings are you using? It should have no issues doing even 4k 60fps with NVENC

and did you already check out the videos on epos vox's channel?

yeah and that redirected to the obs discord so ill ask there

On 10/20/2019 at 2:28 PM, Need_Not said:

So i would like to use obs just because it's powerful, simple to use, and has replay buffer which i like to use for recording epic plays without recording 24/7

but the only issue and with other recorders is the compression, now this might seem simple! just up your bitrate but that's not the case! i have my bitrate at 40 mb while most people use 3 mb and my videos still look trash!

SOMEONE HELP ME!

Screenshot_1.png.5bd7a8d48cf73c6999b3db7059610731.pngScreenshot_2.png.4be20b59b5d9d0a93919b4e4537f160e.png

and just to see what the output is once i upload to yt is...

Are you streaming to YT or uploading? If you are uploading to YT you should be trying to avoid compressing with OBS itself since OBS is designed for recording in real time, which means you will always be invoking "fast" or "fastest" encoder models. 

If you're uploading, 1920x1080@60, CBR, 25Mbit and use the GPU (NVENC), it's not super-awesome. 

If you're actually transcoding existing video from like a 100mbit 4Kp60 source, use the command line FFMPEG to transcode it with the CPU.

Click the "stats for nerds" in youtube to see what YT is actually doing the video. YT will trash anything that's not CBR unfortunately. 

The GPU encoders are passable if you have a Pascal nVidia GPU (Geforce GTX 10x0, Quadro Pxxxx) but anything before that produces rubbish.