Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snotburger

My boot drive was converted and now only has 32Gb?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello,

Recently I built a new computer, and in order to install Windows I created a USB media drive that would allow me to plug it in and install Windows. It originally could store 10 TB.

However, I needed that drive to store all of my Steam games, but when I converted the format to NTFS, I found that the drive had only 32GB of storage left!

Is there a reason and/or fix to this?

Edit: I ran diskmgmt.msc and fixed the problem there. Please don't post on this thread

26 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Wait, you're installing windows on a 10TB hard drive?

Or did you mean a 1TB hard drive?

It was solved :D

I winder what was the problem 🤔

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@3.9GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1347cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It was solved :D

I winder what was the problem 🤔

Ya, but he may have just made one huge hard drive partition, and it would be faster to install his OS on a smaller 100-200GB partition for short stroking the hard drive, can gain like 50MB sustained read/writes with that or more.

I edit my posts a lot

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Ya, but he may have just made one huge hard drive partition, and it would be faster to install his OS on a smaller 100-200GB partition for short stroking the hard drive, can gain like 50MB sustained read/writes with that or more.

It was actually a typo, it was a 2TB drive. I didn't realise that making a drive into a Windows installation USB would erase all of the current files, so I did it and installed Windows on my faster SSD. I turned the drive into NTFS later thinking it would make the drive normal again but found a large partition not being used but I didnt realise that it could be fixed easily. 

Thanks anyway!