CPU Fan Keeps Ramping Up and Down

amitkania

Here is my parts list: 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $130.00
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING (WI-FI) Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $80.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $60.00
Storage Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $40.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Low Profile Video Card $0.00
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case $45.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $355.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-10 16:14 EDT-0400  

Basically I just built my PC, installed the OS, and everything seems to be working fine, but the CPU fan keeps ramping up and down.

For example, when I am doing nothing, the PC is fairly quiet. Then I open up Chrome, and the fan is super loud for like 2 seconds and then it is normal again.

Then I may for example, open up Microsoft Word, the CPU fan once again starts spinning really loudly, but then goes back down. I don't know why this is happening, the motherboard doesn't have any errors and the cooling seems to be fine.

Here is a picture of the Intel Power Gadget:

TP12IS8.png

The CPU fan seems to be between 1500-1700 RPM. I tried setting the mode to Silent on my motherboard and it helped with the noise a little bit, but it is still really apparent whenever I do something that the fan is ramping up and back down.

One mistake I did during the build was plugging in the CPU fan header into the CPU OPT port instead of the CPU FAN port, but I quickly fixed that, so I don't think that could be an issue.

If any more info is needed, I will provide it. Thanks

Maybe a questionable fan curve? Fiddle around with it and see if you can get things to a more reasonable level.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

If it's quickly ramping up and down, it means the fan curve is too aggressive. Try setting a custom fan curve and playing around with it. Find the sweet spot where the fan speed needs to be at load and make that part more gradual.

Moved to Air Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

Maybe a questionable fan curve? Fiddle around with it and see if you can get things to a more reasonable level.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

If it's quickly ramping up and down, it means the fan curve is too aggressive. Try setting a custom fan curve and playing around with it. Find the sweet spot where the fan speed needs to be at load and make that part more gradual.

Moved to Air Cooling. 

I tried every fan setting on my BIOS and it is still ramping up and down.

I even tried to have the motherboard itself calibrate it and set a custom curve and it didn't help.

35 minutes ago, amitkania said:

I tried every fan setting on my BIOS and it is still ramping up and down.

I even tried to have the motherboard itself calibrate it and set a custom curve and it didn't help.

Calibrating allows the motherboard to recognize the proper fan rpm range. It's not the same as making a custom curve though. 

Are you manually adjusting the curve? What's the curve currently look like?

Are you navigating through the motherboard settings in Advanced Mode? The hot key is F7 in case you aren't. 

Are you sure it's the cpu fan and not some other fan? You can use software like HWMonitor to see which fans are ramping up. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Calibrating allows the motherboard to recognize the proper fan rpm range. It's not the same as making a custom curve though. 

Are you manually adjusting the curve? What's the curve currently look like?

Are you navigating through the motherboard settings in Advanced Mode? The hot key is F7 in case you aren't. 

Are you sure it's the cpu fan and not some other fan? You can use software like HWMonitor to see which fans are ramping up. 

It might have been an another option than, because it made a custom curve and then put the CPU fan into manual mode. 

The curve is pretty average. Starts at 20% at all temps and until 70C it goes up gradually until 70%. After 80C, it spikes up to 100%, however that has never happened.

And yeah I am using advanced mode. I can send picture if that is more helpful.

Yes I am sure it is the CPU fan. I only have 1 rear case fan and the CPU fan. The case fan is a 3 pin and is basically the same RPM all the time.

29 minutes ago, amitkania said:

It might have been an another option than, because it made a custom curve and then put the CPU fan into manual mode. 

The curve is pretty average. Starts at 20% at all temps and until 70C it goes up gradually until 70%. After 80C, it spikes up to 100%, however that has never happened.

And yeah I am using advanced mode. I can send picture if that is more helpful.

Sure, a picture of the fan curve could help. What rpm is the fan hitting and at what temps? 

You should just make that step more gradual. 

23 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Sure, a picture of the fan curve could help. What rpm is the fan hitting and at what temps? 

You should just make that step more gradual. 

I uploaded a picture of the current curve.

I've noticed on idle or just basic web browsing, it stays at around 1500-1600 RPM.

However the second it goes past 1600, the fan ramps up, but then it goes back down.

IMG_8269.jpeg

6 minutes ago, amitkania said:

I've noticed on idle or just basic web browsing, it stays at around 1500-1600 RPM.

However the second it goes past 1600, the fan ramps up, but then it goes back down.

The stock cooler goes up to 2500rpm so 1600rpm is right around the 70% mark. 

There, you can see a steep climb in rpm. Use a custom curve to smooth that out by raising that point and / or adding more points. 

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The stock cooler goes up to 2500rpm so 1600rpm is right around the 70% mark. 

There, you can see a steep climb in rpm. Use a custom curve to smooth that out by raising that point and / or adding more points. 

I'll try that, thanks. But if my CPU is reaching that 70% mark, does that mean it is going up to 70 degrees C? Isn't that really bad?

5 minutes ago, amitkania said:

I'll try that, thanks. But if my CPU is reaching that 70% mark, does that mean it is going up to 70 degrees C? Isn't that really bad?

Yes, that would mean it's hitting 70c but that's normal for load temps. You're fine up to 80-90c at load. 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:09 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, that would mean it's hitting 70c but that's normal for load temps. You're fine up to 80-90c at load. 

Hey, so apparently when my fans are going over 1600 RPM, the temp isn't even 70C, it's around 45C, so I don't even know why it is going to those RPMs. The custom curve didn't do anything. 

Like if the temp is 45C, according to the curve, it should be around 50% so 1250 RPM, but my RPM is always above 1500 RPM and spikes up and down.

2 minutes ago, amitkania said:

Hey, so apparently when my fans are going over 1600 RPM, the temp isn't even 70C, it's around 45C, so I don't even know why it is going to those RPMs. The custom curve didn't do anything. 

Like if the temp is 45C, according to the curve, it should be around 50% so 1250 RPM, but my RPM is always above 1500 RPM and spikes up and down.

What are you using to read temps?

On 10/16/2019 at 2:54 AM, WoodenMarker said:

What are you using to read temps?

Intel Power Gadget, HWMonitor, they all say the same, I put a picture of the current temp and the RPM.

RPM Vs Temp.png

Idle temp is around 40C as seen in the pic and the 1525 is the CPU Fan RPM.

You mentioned using Fan Tuning. What was the reported rpm range? It may take a few tries for tuning to get it right. 

What's the current manual fan curve?

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You mentioned using Fan Tuning. What was the reported rpm range? It may take a few tries for tuning to get it right. 

What's the current manual fan curve?

It didn't report the RPM range, but when I put the fans to 100%, it runs at 3100 RPM.

The current manual fan curve is the same picture I sent initially, but now the curve from 20C to 75C is just linear.

I uploaded a pic of the CPU temp and fan RPM right from the BIOS. Anything over 1500 RPM is really loud.

At this point, I am considering just getting an aftermarket CPU cooler. 

IMG_8288.jpeg

59 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Do you have some other fan control software installed? Perhaps that came with the mother board drivers? This looks like an ASUS bios.

No I don't, just using the default BIOS one

54 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Are the fans plugged into their correct respective headers? 

Yeah, CPU fan is plugged into CPU Fan header. Motherboard identifies it just fine.

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

Try setting flat fan curve (so not a curve) and see if it obeys that. Like 50% straight across or something. This will isolate if it's ignoring the curve setting or reading temperature wrong. 

I think the problem is the jumps in RPM. Like it will be going 1700 RPM, jump to 2300 RPM for like 2 seconds, and then go right back down to 1700 RPM and I have no clue why it is doing that. Sometimes it does like 5 jumps within a span of a minute.

So I was instaling a game on Steam, and my CPU temps were literally over 90C the entire time and afterwords the temps were jumping around like crazy 60 to 75 to 85 down to 55 back up to 65 within the span of seconds?? Is this normal

high temps.png

temps.png

16 hours ago, amitkania said:

I think the problem is the jumps in RPM. Like it will be going 1700 RPM, jump to 2300 RPM for like 2 seconds,

Right, so like I said, set a flat fan curve of 50% across the board and see if that changes how it's behaving. 

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

Right, so like I said, set a flat fan curve of 50% across the board and see if that changes how it's behaving. 

It works. So I think the temps are just rapidly changing causing the fan RPM to change.