Is there any way to pause downloads in epic games launcher?

MyName13
14 hours ago, Wissam18 said:

Same happened w me today regarding gta v.🤣🤣🤣🤣 However I figured that the reason for this is if you change the downloading location from System Diak(local disk C) this happens.

Im installing GTA V on system disk. Yesterday it was downloading really slow it has the warning because our servers bla bla bla (no big surprise here). So I was something like 80+gb/94gb and now today when I resumed it it started from 0... I wouldnt closed my comp and finish the DL while sleeping but I couldnt imagine in year 2020 things like this could happen when resuming DLs is pre 2000 tech.

it seems that EGL has an issue here. bcs what happened to me this morning was different. This morning i've downloaded like 30gigs or something and i wanted to shut down my pc bcs its been working too long (i was afraid too destroy my pc lol) then i clicked Windows + R and typed "shut down -s -t 7200" so my pc will shut down itself in 2 hours. Then when i turn on my pc later that day, surprisingly it resumes. but now im afraid to do it again lol 

Given that it seems to be possible to sometimes do it by force closing EGL, or in some cases by exiting properly, surely it must be possible for them to implement the feature. If literally everyone else can do it, why can't Epic?

Shout-out to all my girl gamers and LGBTQ+ gamers!!

Frankenstein 2.0 (my rig):

• i9-9900k
  • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
  • HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB, Kinston Fury Beast RGB 2x8GB
  • MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Ventus 3
  • Patriot Viper VPN100 512GB NVMe SSD
  • Kingston A400 480GB SATA SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
  • XPG Spectrix S40G RGB 2TB NVMe SSD (for games)

14 hours ago, KorolevEOL14 said:

This is the solution I've found, just tested; turn off your PC WITHOUT closing the Epic Launcher, that did it for me (and yep, GTA... Are they crazy? "Releasing" worldwide a game like that... Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's gonna happen next xDDD)

[sorry for my english, greetings from Spain]

I double checked, It works ;)

I had the same issue with GTAV - starting download from zero after quitting Epic Game app. So today I downloaded about 22 of 94 GB and before closing the app I copied the entire folder with already downloaded data (DATA1) to diffrent disk (I had to kill EG app from Task Manager at some point because it wouldn't let me finish copying). I think that killing the app and moving tha data or just changing the name of the GTAV folder might be just as good. Then I started EG again and this time when I wanted to download the game I had to pick the installation folder and it had to be empty. So I removed entire GTAV folder with those 22 GB inside, started downloading and paused it. And then I copied all data I had previously copied (DATA1) to installation folder. Now when resumed it started downloading from those 22 GB but it says downloading xxx GB from 71 GB (not 94). Don't know if something wasn't screwed with the installation after doing all this. I will know then it completes. One more thing. Now, when I exit it still gives me a warning that all installations will be cancelled but when I start it again (resume), it resumes ok with data to be downloaded going down (now it's 67.6 GB left).

01.png

1 hour ago, arkady-w said:

I had the same issue with GTAV - starting download from zero after quitting Epic Game app. So today I downloaded about 22 of 94 GB and before closing the app I copied the entire folder with already downloaded data (DATA1) to diffrent disk (I had to kill EG app from Task Manager at some point because it wouldn't let me finish copying). I think that killing the app and moving tha data or just changing the name of the GTAV folder might be just as good. Then I started EG again and this time when I wanted to download the game I had to pick the installation folder and it had to be empty. So I removed entire GTAV folder with those 22 GB inside, started downloading and paused it. And then I copied all data I had previously copied (DATA1) to installation folder. Now when resumed it started downloading from those 22 GB but it says downloading xxx GB from 71 GB (not 94). Don't know if something wasn't screwed with the installation after doing all this. I will know then it completes. One more thing. Now, when I exit it still gives me a warning that all installations will be cancelled but when I start it again (resume), it resumes ok with data to be downloaded going down (now it's 67.6 GB left).

01.png

I was about to do this, btw is that language polish? It seens your connections isn't limited like mine in Brazil. I think I will use a polish VPN now lol, when you (or anyone else really) finish downloanding post your "method" here, thanks in advance

After few hours I started the download again and it seems to be resumed from where it stopped. Without any "tricks" now, just as it should be from the start. Just don't know if that will succeed in the end. And to Johnbonny: yes, it is Polish. And it does say "the download bandwith IS limited". Over WiFi it is 1MB/s or so, but now over cable it 65MB/s, so try it!

Download complete. Everything seems to be working fine.

Hello I'm from Italy and having the same problem of everyone.....I tryed Two times to shutdown pressing pause and then closing, and didn't work losen 70gb of download.....then had an idea

I pressed pause then put the PC in standby....this mornig waked up the PC and continues downloading.

Hope to help someone.

Greetings from Italy

On 9/21/2019 at 2:47 PM, MyName13 said:

It reset my download to 0% after pausing and shutting down my PC...Is it possible that their launcher is so bad?

Hey bro i found a fix shown in the below video

https://youtu.be/zSqaYRdASFw

Works for all

Subscrube

Guys So I was downloading GTA V and I was done 22%. And I Paused the installation and closed EPIC launcher, the prompt that you may lose unsaved data didn't appear. And when I turned on my PC, it resumed from the same place. But now it says 3.03GB done  of  69GB.

Epic Games Launcher 5_17_2020 2_12_48 PM.png

16 hours ago, arkady-w said:

01.png

Hey, I had the same thing and I think that games in epic has multiple save points, so when you resume it starts from the latest savepoint and so it says 67.6GB is left to download and the rest ~30GB has already been downloaded. When you pause and close and start it again expect the amount to be downloaded file will go down again.

Hope this helps!!

Things get even better.After downloading a game, the launcher has to verify the entire damn game.If 94 GB are read sequentially at average speed of 110 MB/s, that equals over 14 minutes of hammering someone's HDD.What a garbage launcher....

On 5/16/2020 at 3:25 AM, leehwgoC said:

I'm necro-posting, but that's because I found this thread with google, using more than one search query.  Thus, I FEAR OTHER POEPLE WILL FALL INTO THE SAME TRAP THAT I DID HERE, unless I do my civic duty and make a comment.

So, for posterity: DO NOT LISTEN TO Skiiwee29 ON THIS ISSUE.

HE IS WRONG.

I am currently downloading a 90 gig game from Epic Games Launcher.  I was 50 gigs into the download when I wanted to restart my PC for a Windows security update. However, I was concerned about turning off the program and restarting, fearing I would lose all progress on the download. Cue google, cue finding this thread, cue me putting my faith in these two posters. I paused the download, restarted my computer, opened back up EGL, 'resumed' the download, and... all 50 gigs gone, download starts back from zero.  Checked my SSD to make sure there weren't temp files somewhere -- nope, all 50 gigs were straight deleted when EGL was closed.

I think it was something like 8-10 hours of downloading, all for nothing. I'm not pleased.

Am installing GTA V right now and googled to check about this. Thank god I read your comment. Else I'd have been very miserable waking up tomorrow 🤞

Capture.PNG

Guys please stop saying dumb shit, all you need to do to prevent this is to set your pc in hybrid sleep or hibernation, since any of those two settings will keep your applications open and will work even if your power is cut for whatever reason, since the info of all the applications you had on are saved on your ram and hard drive for hybrid sleep and directly into your hard drive with hibernation, guaranteeing its protection even if your power goes out, just don't close the launcher simply pause the download and use hybrid sleep or hibernation.

Normal sleep mode will not save your progress if you cut the power to your pc by pulling the power chord or flipping the switch on your computers power supply, since it requires a constant power supply.

4 hours ago, SilencedDoom said:

Guys please stop saying dumb shit, all you need to do to prevent this is to set your pc in hybrid sleep or hibernation, since any of those two settings will keep your applications open and will work even if your power is cut for whatever reason, since the info of all the applications you had on are saved on your ram and hard drive for hybrid sleep and directly into your hard drive with hibernation, guaranteeing its protection even if your power goes out, just don't close the launcher simply pause the download and use hybrid sleep or hibernation.

Normal sleep mode will not save your progress if you cut the power to your pc by pulling the power chord or flipping the switch on your computers power supply, since it requires a constant power supply.

That's not what we're asking. We want to be able to resume downloads after reboot/shutdown, not after sleep. We know that hibernate stores your RAM on disk so you can resume even after power loss, but hibernate isn't an option when you need to reboot. (Yes, sometimes it's not possible to wait until tomorrow to reboot.)

EDIT: Also, if you have an SSD, using hibernate a lot uses a large amount of write cycles causing unnecessary wear to the drive. This is made even worse if you have lots of RAM.

Edited by Leah96xxx
Added note about SSD wear

Shout-out to all my girl gamers and LGBTQ+ gamers!!

Frankenstein 2.0 (my rig):

• i9-9900k
  • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
  • HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB, Kinston Fury Beast RGB 2x8GB
  • MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Ventus 3
  • Patriot Viper VPN100 512GB NVMe SSD
  • Kingston A400 480GB SATA SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
  • XPG Spectrix S40G RGB 2TB NVMe SSD (for games)

gambar.thumb.png.be814a92c0c028dcd09b33d9c9184a60.pngI have done the "shutdown -f -s -t 00" method and suprisingly it worked 4 times for me until now

On 5/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, MyName13 said:

[...](it displayed the warning that it will cancel all installations) and shut the PC down, my download was reset to 0.It's completely unpredictable.

Yeah, so completely unpredictable. You realise you just contradicted yourself in those 2 sentences?

A question to everyone in the thread: why won't you download it during the night or anytime you're not using PC? Since download is limiting your bandwidth it's a pain in the ass to do anything on the machine anyways...

On the first day, when everyone jumped on the download train wagon, download speed was laughable cause I had a mere 900Mb in ~2h. So I quit and tried the day after. It went with almost 10Mb/s and I was done with the whole process in few hours. It must be highly dependent on the number of simultaneous download connections.

You're complaining about these problems. I can't even imagine what's happening at R* with their servers :D.

38 minutes ago, Soag said:

Yeah, so completely unpredictable. You realise you just contradicted yourself in those 2 sentences?

No I didn't.That message is pointless because downloads were saved before so I have no idea why they even display it.

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

No I didn't.That message is pointless because downloads were saved before so I have no idea why they even display it.

Yes you did. It's just a misleading wording on their end as by 'installations' they mean the whole installation process - from download, through installation, finishing with verification phase.

They display it so you are notified you will lose all of your progress to:

1) make sure it's your conscious decision,

2) prevent you from being pissed off after you realise you lost that progress without knowing anything.

And as far as I remember when you wrote about it you were in the 1st phase out of the 3.

39 minutes ago, Soag said:

Yes you did. It's just a misleading wording on their end as by 'installations' they mean the whole installation process - from download, through installation, finishing with verification phase.

They display it so you are notified you will lose all of your progress to:

1) make sure it's your conscious decision,

2) prevent you from being pissed off after you realise you lost that progress without knowing anything.

And as far as I remember when you wrote about it you were in the 1st phase out of the 3.

Then why did it work previously?Why does it work on any other store?That is really basic functionality, there is no sane reason to remove downloaded data.

3 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Then why did it work previously?Why does it work on any other store?That is really basic functionality, there is no sane reason to remove downloaded data.

Maybe you used it under different conditions and simply don't remember it. Like pausing and resuming the process without closing the app.

Other stores are other stores, I don't see a valid argument here. Their store is rather fresh compared to the rest and under continous development. But I will admit it is something that should eventually be there.

And I can come up with at least few reasons to start the process anew.

• If they can't correctly verify how your download went, there is no way to resume the process without errors.
  • If they don't have a process to verify your already downloaded data, they would have to store progress data for everyone until the actions are finalized and with current amount of downloads they may have gone with cleaning the DB out of loads of data (this one is HIGHLY unlikely, that's not an efficient way to create software).
  • GTAV is new in their library, god knows how integration with R* API really works and how much time they had to get that done, maybe they cut corners here and there (even though they should have that already successfully implemented because of RDR2). To be honest I bet they did, which is visible on R* side as well, which might suggest there was not enough time between making the deal and going live.
  • Amount of downloads might be messing their processes (poor optimization issues) and some errors, which you are not aware of, might arise.

Or maybe that's just something which haven't been properly thought out/implemented. I bet it's a learning lesson for them and eventually it will work just as everyone expects.

As for now, it's a burder client users need to live with.

18 hours ago, Soag said:

Maybe you used it under different conditions and simply don't remember it. Like pausing and resuming the process without closing the app.

Other stores are other stores, I don't see a valid argument here. Their store is rather fresh compared to the rest and under continous development. But I will admit it is something that should eventually be there.

And I can come up with at least few reasons to start the process anew.

• If they can't correctly verify how your download went, there is no way to resume the process without errors.
  • If they don't have a process to verify your already downloaded data, they would have to store progress data for everyone until the actions are finalized and with current amount of downloads they may have gone with cleaning the DB out of loads of data (this one is HIGHLY unlikely, that's not an efficient way to create software).
  • GTAV is new in their library, god knows how integration with R* API really works and how much time they had to get that done, maybe they cut corners here and there (even though they should have that already successfully implemented because of RDR2). To be honest I bet they did, which is visible on R* side as well, which might suggest there was not enough time between making the deal and going live.
  • Amount of downloads might be messing their processes (poor optimization issues) and some errors, which you are not aware of, might arise.

Or maybe that's just something which haven't been properly thought out/implemented. I bet it's a learning lesson for them and eventually it will work just as everyone expects.

As for now, it's a burder client users need to live with.

It's strange how they can get all these exclusives and give away games but can't implement something so basic (for a program that downloads data).

About second point, why would they store download progress on their servers instead on user's device?

3rd point - why would it have anything to do with downloading data from Epic's servers?

Some logging functionality should avoid problems with improper download cancelling.In my case, it's possible that an update was released, I wonder how Steam takes care of this.

17 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

It's strange how they can get all these exclusives and give away games but can't implement something so basic (for a program that downloads data).

That's quite simple. It's 2 different departments. One is responsible for contracts, the other is dev. It just means they have money, deals go smoothly but they may lack talent/proper requirements/good management/time in EGS client development sector.

18 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

About second point, why would they store download progress on their servers instead on user's device?

Normally they wouldn't, that's why I wrote it's highly unlikely. But such solution is doable, it's just a VERY poor one. And by progress I meant information about state of particular process, download in this case. Normally you shouldn't even store it on user's device. Instead you need a data verification process to 'scan' downloaded files in order to check the current status before resuming download. That's the best approach, unless there's something else I'm not aware of.

25 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

3rd point - why would it have anything to do with downloading data from Epic's servers?

Don't quite understand, would you mind explaining? And now that I read my point I also see my message was hella unclear. The bottom line is I wanted to say I've seen how poorly it works on R* side as well - to be precise, launching GTAV from that Social Club of theirs when the game is acquired on EGS.

And they need to communicate between each other, e.g. to know if used version is latest, to be able to properly communicate user actions, data regarding file validation. There's a lot of processes involved when the game is running and it looks like, I'd say, majority is handled by R* and some by EGS. But that needs to be done in a smart way, otherwise they might interfere with eachother. So by the state of it my intuition told me there wasn't that much time, hence some things might not be done how they should have been.

And yeah, regarding download, files are most likely stored on EGS side unless there's some mirroring to R* servers. From one point of view the 2nd option doesn't make sense, from another one it's probable because of some nuances linked to protecting intellectual property. Although I think it's highly unlikely, especially as both companies are located in the same country. Then again, I can only speculate how those things are handled, never had anything to do with gaming sector, apart from being a consumer.

54 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Some logging functionality should avoid problems with improper download cancelling.In my case, it's possible that an update was released, I wonder how Steam takes care of this.

It's either improper or by design. Poor design if so, but still.

They might have messed something in the client. I wasn't able to get the previous game (although I tried only once) without activating 2-step-verification, didn't really want it and wanted to play around with this feature when the next giveaway came around and eventually got GTAV without the need to activate it on the 1st try. So they either disabled the feature or messed something in the client.

Btw, Steam has it's problems as well. Sometimes it doesn't recognize the fact that a game was already downloaded. It's easy to fix that but the problem is still there.

I'm also trying to install GTA V and I had the same question wondering if I can pause the download and redownload later and yes you can do that, What I found out when I started the download and let it download few hundred mbs and cancel the download and restarted my pc, it says under GTA V in library "resume" instead of "install", So when u click again on GTA V to download it starts from %0 but the launcher checks you hdd/ssd for the downloaded data and minuses it from the remaining you have to download.