Is there any way to pause downloads in epic games launcher?

MyName13

Yes you can. If the game library is in list mode, change it to grid mode next to the search box in the upper right corner. But you seem to want to pause it mid download and reboot your PC, then no, it will restart the download from Zero. 

image.png.64e9d9bc71c8120a4cd68e461a4b91df.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yes you can. If the game library is in list mode, change it to grid mode next to the search box in the upper right corner. But you seem to want to pause it mid download and reboot your PC, then no, it will restart the download from Zero. 

image.png.64e9d9bc71c8120a4cd68e461a4b91df.png

Wait, you can't pause the download?How does one invest tens of millions of $ into exclusives and wants to look like a serious competition to Steam when you can't implement such basic feature? O_O

8 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Wait, you can't pause the download?How does one invest tens of millions of $ into exclusives and wants to look like a serious competition to Steam when you can't implement such basic feature? O_O

Seems it does. I just tested this. Paused my download, rebooted my PC and hit resume upon starting back up and launching Epic. Try making sure your Epic launcher is up to date. If it is, try uninstalling and re-installing the latest downloadable client for it. I just re-downloaded mine 2 or 3 days ago after a windows glitch made it disappear and not launch for me. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Seems it does. I just tested this. Paused my download, rebooted my PC and hit resume upon starting back up and launching Epic. Try making sure your Epic launcher is up to date. If it is, try uninstalling and re-installing the latest downloadable client for it. I just re-downloaded mine 2 or 3 days ago after a windows glitch made it disappear and not launch for me. 

It displays a warning "Your installations will be cancelled" when I click on exit (in system tray).Weird.I have the latest launcher version.

Just now, MyName13 said:

It displays a warning "Your installations will be cancelled" when I click on exit (in system tray).Weird.

Yes, but when you re-launch epic you should be able to click resume and it will restart your download where you left off at. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yes, but when you re-launch epic you should be able to click resume and it will restart your download where you left off at. 

It doesn't even download at maximum speed (although it might just be their servers).I've noticed that even though the download part says "0 MB of y MB" downloaded, blue progress bar above it is stuck at "Installing 3%".The launcher also requires almost 2 GB of ram while it is open.This launcher has some serious flaws.Are you running the launcher as administrator (even though there's no need for this requirement)?

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

It doesn't even download at maximum speed (although it might just be their servers).I've noticed that even though the download part says "0 MB of y MB" downloaded, blue progress bar above it is stuck at "Installing 3%".The launcher also requires almost 2 GB of ram while it is open.This launcher has some serious flaws.Are you running the launcher as administrator (even though there's no need for this requirement)?

Am not running it in admin mode. I to saw less than max download speeds. I have 400x20 and I was seeing it peaking out at about 200mbps on the download, or roughly 24MB/s. My launcher is only using 60.7MB of system memory. I think you should uninstall and re-install the launcher. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Am not running it in admin mode. I to saw less than max download speeds. I have 400x20 and I was seeing it peaking out at about 200mbps on the download, or roughly 24MB/s. My launcher is only using 60.7MB of system memory. I think you should uninstall and re-install the launcher. 

Reinstalled, still the same thing.I've noticed that even though the progress resets the files are still on my PC and the folder's size keeps increasing, it doesn't get reset too.Another weird thing is that the launcher installer is over 40 MB heavy and it gets downloaded after a second (which is impossible with my speed).

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Reinstalled, still the same thing.I've noticed that even though the progress resets the files are still on my PC and the folder's size keeps increasing, it doesn't get reset too.Another weird thing is that the launcher installer is over 40 MB heavy and it gets downloaded after a second (which is impossible with my speed).

Not sure what to tell you since its working as expected for me. Its got to be something locally to your machine's config. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

6 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Is there any way to pause downloads in epic games launcher?

Yes, press pause.

6 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Is it possible that their launcher is so bad?

Never had a single issue with the Epic Games launcher. And I own over 30 games in it.

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Wait, you can't pause the download?

Yes, you can pause the download.

How does one invest tens of millions of $ into exclusives and wants to look like a serious competition to Steam when you can't implement such basic feature?

It's implemented. Works flawlessly on my end.

It displays a warning "Your installations will be cancelled" when I click on exit

Don't exit.

It doesn't even download at maximum speed (although it might just be their servers).

Downloads at maximum speed every single time I download a game on my end. Do you live in the USA?

I've noticed that even though the download part says "0 MB of y MB" downloaded, blue progress bar above it is stuck at "Installing 3%".

This is of your creation, not Epic. To fix this, delete the 3% downloaded game in whatever folder you downloaded the game to(including the game folder) and delete the saved game data in the My Documents folder under WB Games(if it's Batman you're deleting). Should be called Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY. Delete that entire folder and try to reinstall.

This launcher has some serious flaws.

Haven't noticed a single flaw after using it since its release in December of 2018.

Are you running the launcher as administrator (even though there's no need for this requirement)?

Nope, as you stated, there's no need to.

4 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Did you delete both installation folders as I mentioned above and get this same issue?

Also, once you finally get the Batman games installed, let me know if you have any trouble unlocking the 62 fps lock. It's rather simple.

Hope this helps. It's comments intended to be helpful.

• 7 months later...

I'm necro-posting, but that's because I found this thread with google, using more than one search query.  Thus, I FEAR OTHER POEPLE WILL FALL INTO THE SAME TRAP THAT I DID HERE, unless I do my civic duty and make a comment.

So, for posterity: DO NOT LISTEN TO Skiiwee29 ON THIS ISSUE.

HE IS WRONG.

I am currently downloading a 90 gig game from Epic Games Launcher.  I was 50 gigs into the download when I wanted to restart my PC for a Windows security update. However, I was concerned about turning off the program and restarting, fearing I would lose all progress on the download. Cue google, cue finding this thread, cue me putting my faith in these two posters. I paused the download, restarted my computer, opened back up EGL, 'resumed' the download, and... all 50 gigs gone, download starts back from zero.  Checked my SSD to make sure there weren't temp files somewhere -- nope, all 50 gigs were straight deleted when EGL was closed.

I think it was something like 8-10 hours of downloading, all for nothing. I'm not pleased.

11 minutes ago, leehwgoC said:

I'm necro-posting, but that's because I found this thread with google, using more than one search query.  Thus, I FEAR OTHER POEPLE WILL FALL INTO THE SAME TRAP THAT I DID HERE, unless I do my civic duty and make a comment.

So, for posterity: DO NOT LISTEN TO Skiiwee29 ON THIS ISSUE.

HE IS WRONG.

I am currently downloading a 90 gig game from Epic Games Launcher.  I was 50 gigs into the download when I wanted to restart my PC for a Windows security update. However, I was concerned about turning off the program and restarting, fearing I would lose all progress on the download. Cue google, cue finding this thread, cue me putting my faith in these two posters. I paused the download, restarted my computer, opened back up EGL, 'resumed' the download, and... all 50 gigs gone, download starts back from zero.  Checked my SSD to make sure there weren't temp files somewhere -- nope, all 50 gigs were straight deleted when EGL was closed.

I think it was something like 8-10 hours of downloading, all for nothing. I'm not pleased.

Let me guess, Gta V? 

The same happened to me. With the little difference that I had downloaded around 28 GB. Still not good. I am visiting this now because I wanted to know if I did something wrong, so I could do it right this time and shut down the PC without fear. But it seems I can't. 

Same happened w me today regarding gta v.🤣🤣🤣🤣 However I figured that the reason for this is if you change the downloading location from System Diak(local disk C) this happens.

i mean there is way to continue download after restart. So epic always check ,when you resume download, if you donwnloded before. i know that because i fall a sleep when gta was downloading and pc restarted for some reason myb power was cut out idk. when i woke up and launch epic it started from when it shut down. So my point is if you save the file before it get deleted you can start from there or if you insta kill epic app it cant delete file and next time download will start from when it end. it's like a protection system but you can screw it up this way (its just a theory not tested in full) 

This is the solution I've found, just tested; turn off your PC WITHOUT closing the Epic Launcher, that did it for me (and yep, GTA... Are they crazy? "Releasing" worldwide a game like that... Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's gonna happen next xDDD)

[sorry for my english, greetings from Spain]

That happened to me at first when I shut down my computer while downloading yesterday. Last night, however, I pressed pause on the download BEFORE shutting down. When I resumed this morning, the progress continued.

yea thats bcs windows insta kill program for faster shutdown

Idk man,  last night i closed the launcher without pause and shut down,  today morning clean from 0%,  but now i   paused and closed the launcher and did restart,  it resumes. 

Epic games is a trash launcher, i downloaded 72gb/94gb from gta v and when i opened my pc again it resets. I wasted a whole day downloading and it just reseted. The only thing you can do is download it again and this time close the launcher before shutting down your pc, pause -> close launcher -> then shutdown.

I downloaded 60 GB, all gone....What a garbage launcher.

1 hour ago, Cyanlossin said:

Epic games is a trash launcher, i downloaded 72gb/94gb from gta v and when i opened my pc again it resets. I wasted a whole day downloading and it just reseted. The only thing you can do is download it again and this time close the launcher before shutting down your pc, pause -> close launcher -> then shutdown.

Still won't work.My PC froze during download so I forcefully shut it down and the download resumed without any problems.But, when i paused the download, closed the launcher (it displayed the warning that it will cancel all installations) and shut the PC down, my download was reset to 0.It's completely unpredictable.

EDIT: why does every recent poster have just a single post?

I downloaded around 85 GB of GTA V yesterday and then I paused and turned off PC, thinking I can finish off download in the morning, just like Steam and any other normal launcher allows me too. But no, in the morning all downloaded files are gone!!! I have a limited monthly quota of 300 GB on my internet meaning I have just wasted 1/3 of my quota, because of this crap launcher. I can't download again because then I won't have quota for my other stuff. Well at least I don't have to waste time on this crap game this month.

35 minutes ago, MarkeSon said:

I downloaded around 85 GB of GTA V yesterday and then I paused and turned off PC, thinking I can finish off download in the morning, just like Steam and any other normal launcher allows me too. But no, in the morning all downloaded files are gone!!! I have a limited monthly quota of 300 GB on my internet meaning I have just wasted 1/3 of my quota, because of this crap launcher. I can't download again because then I won't have quota for my other stuff. Well at least I don't have to waste time on this crap game this month.

I downloaded about 70 gb out of the 90 and i needed to go to bed and then i closed my pc. the next day i went again. but when i shut down my pc again my progress was gone. so now it is on 0 and yes im downloading gta v 

Sorry my english. im not form usa 

First they can't handle the users and the whole Epic Store is dead. Next they limit download speed. And the cherry on top - the download won't take off where it stopped. BS.

Welp, I was just about to reboot my PC when I found this thread. (Yes, GTAV too.) Glad I didn't. If they're going to sell games as big as 90GB they should at least let users pause their downloads and resume them later. They do realise that Windows loves to restart at the most awkward times, don't they?

This is the first time I've used the Epic Games launcher, and it's fair to say that the experience I've had with it in the last 24 hours is disappointing to say the least.

At least I can't complain too much about the throttling, my internet is so bad that Epic can still fully saturate my bandwidth. 14Mb/s down, 2Mb/s up maximum 😭 TalkTalk are useless.

Shout-out to all my girl gamers and LGBTQ+ gamers!!

Frankenstein 2.0 (my rig):

• i9-9900k
  • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
  • HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB, Kinston Fury Beast RGB 2x8GB
  • MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Ventus 3
  • Patriot Viper VPN100 512GB NVMe SSD
  • Kingston A400 480GB SATA SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
  • XPG Spectrix S40G RGB 2TB NVMe SSD (for games)