Should I prioritise high refresh rate (for gaming) or USB-C (for productivity)?

cpugeek21

This is gonna be one of those "choose whichever one you prioritise more" kind of questions but I still wish to get some sort of perspective. Basically, I have had my eyes on these 2 monitors for some time, but I can't make up my mind.

Dell U2719DC (USB-C monitor, with really good colours. I had a very good experience with the ultrasharp lineup in the form of their U2415 monitor)

Acer VG271U P (144hz IPS monitor)

My question is aimed more at people who use their computers for more working, but also playing as well. Do you find it more beneficial to have the USB-C capability or having a high refresh rate on your computer? I'm planning to put my current U2415 into portrait mode, and buying a 27-inch monitor as my main. If it matters, the only game I play regularly is CS:GO, but I think my skill level is capped at silver 3, so you could say I'm a real noob.

At the same time, I'm thinking that 144hz helps with regular usage and I could just get a USB-C dock for the extra USB-C capability. What do you guys think?

The USB C isn't worth anything, but if you aren't putting them on a new mount, the Dell has the much better stand which can make a big difference for ergonomics. 

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Dont be silly. Take the Acer

USB-C capability is useless unless your computer somehow has a video+power output over USB-C

And the single connection is just to provide the basic functionality of the display. There is no additional USB uplink within the connection.

USB-C monitors like these are made for workplace convenience to plug into laptops that have been made to accommodate this feature. 

I see, yes I think you're right, I may have been overthinking this a bit too much. Since monitors tend to have a much longer lifespan as compared to other components of the setup, I rather be prepared for the possible scenarios.

On that note though, hope you can give me your opinion on a related matter. Suppose I do end up getting the Acer, and I want to use it with a laptop. Power delivery and video aside, is there any way I can hook it up to my wired keyboard and mouse? Is the only way to use a KVM? I don't mind using a KVM but unfortunately, usual KVMs are HDMI inputs which don't support 144hz, so it's going to be very troublesome everytime I want to use the monitor for gaming and not for work.

8 minutes ago, WWicket said:

The USB C isn't worth anything, but if you aren't putting them on a new mount, the Dell has the much better stand which can make a big difference for ergonomics. 

I see, I'm going to mount it though so that shouldn't be a very big problem.