USB over Wifi ?!

so im looking for a way to share a usb device over wifi. not just some data but i want a network system to actually think the usb device is plugged in directly even though its plugged into a different system on the network. i only need it on the remote machine so its not really sharing but just more like a pass through i guess. i found multiple tools for it but most are really expensive or have questionable reliability.

does anyone know a good free or at least cheap software i can use for this. not that it matters that much but im trying to extend the range of a 360 kinect from usb to wifi.#

thanks

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

so im looking for a way to share a usb device over wifi. not just some data but i want a network system to actually think the usb device is plugged in directly even though its plugged into a different system on the network. i only need it on the remote machine so its not really sharing but just more like a pass through i guess. i found multiple tools for it but most are really expensive or have questionable reliability.

does anyone know a good free or at least cheap software i can use for this. not that it matters that much but im trying to extend the range of a 360 kinect from usb to wifi.#

thanks

I dont know how to do usb over wifi off of the top of my head, but could you use a usb extension cable? Sorry

19 minutes ago, WWicket said:

usb-over-ethernet has a free trial you could test.

can put a link? because i did find usb network gate but those fucks want 160 to 300 to 1400 bucks for the full version so thats not a permanent solution

21 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I dont know how to do usb over wifi off of the top of my head, but could you use a usb extension cable? Sorry

well yes and no. i could get some ridicoulusly long usb cable and power wouldnt be an issue since it has its won power supply that i dont need to extend but doesnt data also degrade at a certain point? so if there nothing else then that may work but i was hoping wifi would be a cleaner solution

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Might be able to set up a NAS-ish sort of thing if you have a USB port on your router.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

can put a link? because i did find usb network gate but those fucks want 160 to 300 to 1400 bucks for the full version so thats not a permanent solution

https://www.usb-over-ethernet.com/

Not sure how well it works for anything but keyboard/mouse, but free trial so might as well test.

Just now, star_pilot475 said:

Might be able to set up a NAS-ish sort of thing if you have a USB port on your router.

yeah the thing is im trying to move further from the router. the router is fixed in place where it is. next to my rig. im trying to get further away from it. idialy id like share the usb device (kinect) from my parking space in front of the house to my system in my flat in the 2nd floor or 3rd depending on how you count.

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well yes and no. i could get some ridicoulusly long usb cable and power wouldnt be an issue since it has its won power supply that i dont need to extend but doesnt data also degrade at a certain point? so if there nothing else then that may work but i was hoping wifi would be a cleaner solution

If you use a well shielded cable (cat6) it can go pretty far before degredation is a problem usually. I'd expect more degredation over wifi. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Extender-CAT5E-Connection-150ft/dp/B003L14ZTC/ref=asc_df_B003L14ZTC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309773039951&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13048919873900153151&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010330&hvtargid=pla-435535734848&psc=1

2 minutes ago, WWicket said:

https://www.usb-over-ethernet.com/

Not sure how well it works for anything but keyboard/mouse, but free trial so might as well test.

i mean ill gladly test them all but they again want 75 bucks at least for the full version. like how is this so expensive when winrar isnt even that much. i think i should look wether or not there a project on github

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

yeah the thing is im trying to move further from the router. the router is fixed in place where it is. next to my rig. im trying to get further away from it. idialy id like share the usb device (kinect) from my parking space in front of the house to my system in my flat in the 2nd floor or 3rd depending on how you count.

Yeah that’s the point of a NAS. It’s Network Attached Storage. Anything connected to your WiFi network will be able to access files on that storage device connected to the router.

1 minute ago, WWicket said:

hmmm alright so thats my backup plan now. but i would still like to at least test wifi. if i stream over 5ghz maybe it wont be so bad and i wouldnt need any extra hardware.

i mean ill gladly test them all but they again want 75 bucks at least for the full version. like how is this so expensive when winrar isnt even that much. i think i should look wether or not there a project on github

Like @WWicket said, just do the free trial for now. If it works, then maybe buy the full version.

It will at least let you test that whatever you want to do works, before spending time figuring out a free version.

1 minute ago, star_pilot475 said:

Yeah that’s the point of a NAS. It’s Network Attached Storage. Anything connected to your WiFi network will be able to access files on that storage device connected to the router.

but im not trying to transfer files. im trying to get a usb decive running. please correct me if im not seeing it but how does a nas help me run a kinect sensor over wifi on my main rig?

1 minute ago, star_pilot475 said:

Like @WWicket said, just do the free trial for now. If it works, then maybe buy the full version.

as i said ill gladly try all of them but as long as the full versions of these tools is so god damn expensive thats not a permanent solution.

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

but im not trying to transfer files. im trying to get a usb decive running. please correct me if im not seeing it but how does a nas help me run a kinect sensor over wifi on my main rig?

Ok, well I was confused. Just go for @WWicket's suggestion.

It will at least let you test that whatever you want to do works, before spending time figuring out a free version.

i sure will i just hoped someone may already know of a good free-ish sofware solution

i sure will i just hoped someone may already know of a good free-ish sofware solution

We don't talk about piracy, but being a poorly secured widely used piece of software it is entirely possible that the trial limit is bypassable

Spoiler

and someone has already made a crack for it. Hint.

ohh shit i didnt think anyone would bother with niche software like this. but of course i dont generally do that anymore. but thanks for info ^^

• 4 months later...

It’s strange. You want it for free and that everything works fine. But this will not be.

You can try the free software http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ through crutches, but there have been no updates for a long time and will work clumsily on Windows.
I use https://www.usb-over-ethernet.org/ for remote access over the network.

I contacted him personally and the guys from Electronic team provided a discount on software. Honestly, there are no problems at all. Try it and you might be lucky too.