Cloned SSD to larger drive

thunderfire123

I cloned my SSD drive to a larger one and it only shows 120GB (size of old SSD) instead of 1TB, how do I get the rest of the storage?

Open the disk management tool, right click on the C:\ partition on the drive, and extend volume.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

Open the disk management tool, right click on the C:\ partition on the drive, and extend volume.

I can't click extend volume. 

8 minutes ago, thunderfire123 said:

I can't click extend volume. 

Try it from CMD:

diskpart
list volume
select volume [#]
extend

If it's not available in Disk Management this will probably give you an error. Can you give us a screen cap of Disk Management? Might give some insight on what the problem is.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Try it from CMD:

diskpart
list volume
select volume [#]
extend

If it's not available in Disk Management this will probably give you an error. Can you give us a screen cap of Disk Management? Might give some insight on what the problem is.

image.png.6f87c514e57fd8a820e2c624a406df4a.png

I think I might need to format it first, is there a way i need to?

5 minutes ago, thunderfire123 said:

You might need to allocate the unallocated space so the partition has room to extend into, but if I'm remembering correctly, the recovery partition might be what's getting in the way.

5 minutes ago, thunderfire123 said:

image.png.6f87c514e57fd8a820e2c624a406df4a.png

Someone will have to correct me here but I might know what the problem is. I know this is an issue with HDDs but I don't know if Windows is smart enough to work around it with SSDs.

Conventionally from left to right is the order in which the partitions & data are written to disk. Oh a HDD this means physically the partitions are in this order on the platter(s). What this can do in the event a partition inbetween two partitions needs to be expanded it cannot use the space on the right side because the partition to its right is physically stopping it.

Now with an SSD this shouldn't be an issue but it appears Windows isn't distinguishing that and allowing you to extend the partition. It's treating your SSD like a HDD.

4 minutes ago, Suika said:

You might need to allocate the unallocated space so the partition has room to extend into, but if I'm remembering correctly, the recovery partition might be what's getting in the way.

image.png.3da3e8076c8d6d9ffcea8d6941081152.png

6 minutes ago, Suika said:

You might need to allocate the unallocated space so the partition has room to extend into

The opposite. The space needs to be unallocated (not in use) in order to extend the partition.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Someone will have to correct me here but I might know what the problem is. I know this is an issue with HDDs but I don't know if Windows is smart enough to work around it with SSDs.

Conventionally from left to right is the order in which the partitions & data are written to disk. Oh a HDD this means physically the partitions are in this order on the platter(s). What this can do in the event a partition inbetween two partitions needs to be expanded it cannot use the space on the right side because the partition to its right is physically stopping it.

Now with an SSD this shouldn't be an issue but it appears Windows isn't distinguishing that and allowing you to extend the partition. It's treating your SSD like a HDD.

Interesting, neither drives are HDD, all SSD. There should be a way around it though.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

The opposite. The space needs to be unallocated (not in use) in order to extend the partition.

Alright, its back to allocated 

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You're right, I threw that out there to try without thinking much about it. The recovery partition is probably just in the way of extending the main partition.

4 minutes ago, thunderfire123 said:

Interesting, neither drives are HDD, all SSD. There should be a way around it though.

I can't say that there's an easy way. What methods I've heard of for moving partitions have been regarded as being a pain.

The only easy way I can offer is to just do as you did before. Allocate it & use it as a G:\ drive.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I can't say that there's an easy way. What methods I've heard of for moving partitions have been regarded as being a pain.

Supposedly there are tools available that make it easy, MiniTool Partition Wizard is the first option I saw that should be a free solution.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

You're right, I threw that out there to try without thinking much about it. The recovery partition is probably just in the way of extending the main partition.

It's fine. I find it annoying Windows doesn't work around this for people with SSDs. It really aught to.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

Supposedly there are tools available that make it easy, MiniTool Partition Wizard is the first option I saw that should be a free solution.

I've heard that being well recommended. As to if it can move partitions I have no idea.

7 minutes ago, Suika said:

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The only easy way I can offer is to just do as you did before. Allocate it & use it as a G:\ drive.

image.png.6185fa71b5ca5cf3ca21236b08b644f9.png

Why didn't you say so earlier? Worked perfectly

Edit: Do I need to migrate OS if i cloned it? 

3 minutes ago, thunderfire123 said:

Why didn't you say so earlier? Worked perfectly

You used MiniTool Partition Wizard? If that worked I'll keep it as a reference for the next person with this issue.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You used MiniTool Partition Wizard? If that worked I'll keep it as a reference for the next person with this issue.

Yea, it looks like it did. Also I don't need to migrate OS if i cloned it right?

10 minutes ago, thunderfire123 said:

Yea, it looks like it did. Also I don't need to migrate OS if i cloned it right?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

28 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

This is my main drive I'm cloning, OS and all, all the disk tools have these migration things that migrate OS. Would they not be necessary if you clone it.

3 minutes ago, thunderfire123 said:

This is my main drive I'm cloning, OS and all, all the disk tools have these migration things that migrate OS. Would they not be necessary if you clone it.

I don't have much experience with this. Whenever I need to move to a new drive I always do a fresh install (less headache down the road). It sounds like one will actually move the data while the other keeps the original. That's what it sounds like but don't take my word for it.