Ryzen 3600 SFF build cooling issue.

Warenz Dragon

Hi guys!

I have built a new SFF air cooled gaming RIG into a Fractal Design Node 202. I've got a Noctua L9A-AM4 with an NF-9A PWM on it (switched from the stock fan). 

My CPU temps (R5 3600) always reach 95C when all stock, and I can only controll it in PBO ECO (45W) mode (75-80 that way). Can I further improve it with an other CPU Air cooler, or a higher quality 92mm Fan (if that exists)?

Before that, I had a 140mm fan ziptied to the case vents, but that hurts my psu cables and that way, I could not have the dust filter installed, and I need that. The temps were much better, and even could oc a bit that way.

At the moment, I'm trying to switch to a blower style GPU from an open air one. Can that improve too? (When I talked about temps, it was torture testing with Aida64 + Furmark.

Thank you for your answers: A dragon from Hungary

Those TPA are quite out of whack. Make sure the stock cooler is mounted correctly.

Honestly, a cheap low profile cooler will probably solve your woes

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Those TPA are quite out of whack. Make sure the stock cooler is mounted correctly.

I've got a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

3 minutes ago, Warenz Dragon said:

I've got a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

Then there is something seriously wrong with your mounting or settings

11 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

he doesnt have a stock cooler..

@Warenz Dragon Have you checked you mounted the cooler correctly, used adequate Thermal paste ( in case you didnt use the pre applied thermal paste with the cooler)?

How did you screw it down? (in what order did you fasten the screws?)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

25 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

he doesnt have a stock cooler..

@Warenz Dragon Have you checked you mounted the cooler correctly, used adequate Thermal paste ( in case you didnt use the pre applied thermal paste with the cooler)?

How did you screw it down? (in what order did you fasten the screws?)

I did exacrly what Noctua and the manual suggested. I was maybe a bit too generous with the included NH-T1 termal paste, will check out at home. I might replace it with MSI Termal Compound X and try that. Is it possible in the node 202 that my open air GPU dumping too much heat into the case? The GPU is under everything else in that system (I use that case vertically). It's an MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z. I want to replace it with a GB 2080 Turbo OC. Will it help some?

Just now, Warenz Dragon said:

I did exacrly what Noctua and the manual suggested. I was maybe a bit too generous with the included NH-T1 termal paste, will check out at home. I might replace it with MSI Termal Compound X and try that. Is it possible in the node 202 that my open air GPU dumping too much heat into the case? The GPU is under everything else in that system (I use that case vertically). It's an MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z. I want to replace it with a GB 2080 Turbo OC. Will it help some?

So cross tightened the mounting screws?

adding a more powerful GPU isn’t gonna help with less heat..

doible check Your mounting when u are home

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So cross tightened the mounting screws?

adding a more powerful GPU isn’t gonna help with less heat..

doible check Your mounting when u are home

Not the power, but the turbo is a blower style Graphics Card, not an open air one. And thank you, I will and then reply.

I did everything, repasted everything and it just got worse. I'm start to think, that is a BIOS issue with my MSI B450i Gaming plus AC, because HWMonitor reports insanely high voltage peaks in gaming and stresstesting. It seems like my -0.1V offset and the 45W cTDP limit does nothing.

11 hours ago, Warenz Dragon said:

I did everything, repasted everything and it just got worse. I'm start to think, that is a BIOS issue with my MSI B450i Gaming plus AC, because HWMonitor reports insanely high voltage peaks in gaming and stresstesting. It seems like my -0.1V offset and the 45W cTDP limit does nothing.

What voltage?

Have you tried the original cpu fan and / or flipping the cpu fan for pull instead?

18 hours ago, Warenz Dragon said:

I did exacrly what Noctua and the manual suggested.

Did you gradually tighten the screws in an X-pattern instead of one side before the other? Is the cooler fully tightened?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, Warenz Dragon said:

What BIOS Version do You use?  I had boot issues with latest MSI b450i bios, so I can imagine it can also cause problems with voltages. 

How are your VRM temperatures? 

I would try fixed ( override mode) voltage ~1.25-1.27 volts, fixed clock speed, SOC feszültség 1.05 volt körül, some undervolt for the memory (1.3 volts). 

A little reduction in voltages can drop temps quite effectively. Crucial for small cases and for ryzen3xxx CPU -s.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Hi my Hungarian friend, I think it was accidental :D

I use the latest, non beta BIOS, but its weird. It says itwas launched 07.23. on the website,but in my BIOS it says 07.22. The version number is the same, A80. Voltages with the offset and Mode 7 Loadline calibration in stock (PBO disabled) are 1.450V Vcore for 3900-3850mhz all core load... It's insane. Can't undervolt the RAM, cuz its loses stability as soon as I touch it. Don't want to use fixed clockspeed, but I might have to. These voltagas and with -0.1 offset, Mode 7 LLC just insanely high.