Using graphics in APU make CPU run slow

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
2 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

So in other words if I was trying to pick between saving money  with a 2200g or buying something like a GT 1030, go with the 1030?

No, it's not worth getting a dedicated graphics card just to avoid using the igpu and the GT 1030 isn't worth buying. Save your money or put it towards a better cpu.

The impact of using the igpu includes a bit more heat and power draw which may theoretically limit cpu performance but the practical difference from that is very small. There's probably a bigger impact from the system ram used for the gpu.  

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Greetings community

I was wondering if using the graphics in an APU slowed the CPU down at all (for instance the 2200G or 3200G)

Thanks!

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

I am not certain but my logic say's YES

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

So in other words if I was trying to pick between saving money  with a 2200g or buying something like a GT 1030, go with the 1030?

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

2 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

No, it's not worth getting a dedicated graphics card just to avoid using the igpu and the GT 1030 isn't worth buying. Save your money or put it towards a better cpu.

The impact of using the igpu includes a bit more heat and power draw which may theoretically limit cpu performance but the practical difference from that is very small. There's probably a bigger impact from the system ram used for the gpu.  

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Get some fast ram along with the APU, since ram speed impacts the iGPU and CPU. You might even get better performance in most games.

34 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Greetings community

I was wondering if using the graphics in an APU slowed the CPU down at all (for instance the 2200G or 3200G)

Thanks!

Why would it?

The 2200G with fast memory is nearly as fast as the GT 1030

Only get the 3200G if it's a bit more

But you can probably find an R5 2400G for really cheap on the used market, and get the extra threads for the long haul.

just be sure to get 3000mhz RAM(maybe from crucial) with 16 timings, or 3200mhz.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I'd get 2400G 2nd hand& Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200Mhz RAMs (2x8 gb dual channel), fine-tune memory with Ryzen DRAM calculator& Overclock both CPU and IGP. 

You'll need a budget CPU cooler, as, the wraith stealth is so impotent, that even with mild OC, 2400G temps can reach above 85degrees, and it's noisy as hell. Something like Deepcool Gammaxx 300-400, Alpenföhn Ben Nevis-or Ben nevis advanced should suffice.

Do you have your motherboard yet? For APU OC, I'd opt for an Asrock B450M Pro4.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Although heat may be the very top issue that affects your APU performance, It actually boils down to your RAM. This is because in your APU, the CPU and GPU shared the same memory bandwidth.

If you want to buy a graphic card, opt for at least GTX or RTX line for nVidia GPU, or RX or R7 and above line for AMD Radeon (for older Radeon HD, I would suggest getting X700 and above, where X is the generation, e.g, 8700HD, 7700HD). nVidia GTX 1050 is quite cheap nowadays, if it still exist.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

59 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

If you buy any dedicated GPU, I wouldn't go below an RX 470/480/570/580 which can be had for $100 or less used.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Thanks guys you definitely answered my question.