Old INTEL CPU Coolers

Ciuwas

I just noticed that the old Intel heatsink s didn't even have copper slugs. Is this model specific or are all of them like this?

15673111712041902518057061518588.jpg

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

Is that just missing the slug? The old heat sinks did in fact have slugs (put one on my bro's 7700), that specific CPU cooler pictured would not work as a heat sink because it doesn't have a way to contact the CPU

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Is that just missing the slug? The old heat sinks did in fact have slugs (put one on my bro's 7700), that specific CPU cooler pictured would not work as a heat sink because it doesn't have a way to contact the CPU

The opposite side almost certainly has a flat on it. If I can find the one that came boxed with my 4790k, I'll post it up. It was set up the same way.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

2 minutes ago, Semper said:

The opposite side almost certainly has a flat on it. If I can find the one that came boxed with my 4790k, I'll post it up. It was set up the same way.

Oh I see, so the slug is smaller than I thought. Still, it's there, and conducts heat better. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Oh I see, so the slug is smaller than I thought. Still, it's there, and conducts heat better. 

EXdEDcM.jpg

xotjMpj.jpg

The "cup" part of the slug sits just beneath the dead zone of the fan

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Just now, Semper said:

The "cup" part of the slug sits just beneath the dead zone of the fan

Now I remember, I have seen it before, it's round on the inside. The picture in the OP reminds me of the Wraith spire with the vapor chamber removed.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Now I remember, I have seen it before, it's round on the inside. The picture in the OP reminds me of the Wraith spire with the vapor chamber removed.

More or less, yeah. It seems as though the slug is just friction fit as well, given enough pressure, I'm confident I could pop her right out of there. I can't imagine a vapor chamber in that small of a space would have any meaningful impact.

I've had to use this thing interim after I had an AIO fail and before all the parts for my current loop arrived to keep my system up. It was remarkably inefficient at cooling. It surprises me that Intel would even package this thing up with a 4790k. Stock clocks and voltages, Idle temps were in the low 60's (ambient of ~10-15c), and a couple of times I hit thermal shutdown under what I'd consider to be relatively moderate load. Undervolting and cleaning up the flat surface of the slug (even with light lapping and polishing, it's not perfectly smooth) brought temps down to functional, but it was far more work than it was worth.

28 minutes ago, Semper said:

More or less, yeah. It seems as though the slug is just friction fit as well, given enough pressure, I'm confident I could pop her right out of there. I can't imagine a vapor chamber in that small of a space would have any meaningful impact.

I've had to use this thing interim after I had an AIO fail and before all the parts for my current loop arrived to keep my system up. It was remarkably inefficient at cooling. It surprises me that Intel would even package this thing up with a 4790k. Stock clocks and voltages, Idle temps were in the low 60's (ambient of ~10-15c), and a couple of times I hit thermal shutdown under what I'd consider to be relatively moderate load. Undervolting and cleaning up the flat surface of the slug (even with light lapping and polishing, it's not perfectly smooth) brought temps down to functional, but it was far more work than it was worth.

I think it's weird that Intel would just do this for some small amount of coolers. Mine was from an i5 - 4950. 

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

22 minutes ago, Ciuwas said:

I think it's weird that Intel would just do this for some small amount of coolers. Mine was from an i5 - 4950. 

It's likely a "this was cheap at the time so we're doing this" type of thing. Extruding is about as cheap as manufacturing gets, and if it doesn't need the slug, why bother?
I wouldn't trust running a stock cooler with or without a copper insert on anything important anyway.

My R5 1600 wraith spire has a copper bottom, it is missing in 2600.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w