Project Pirate Penguin (LONG POST)

Donut417

Beware LONG post. 

IMG_0041.thumb.jpg.4c8c61e8ffa024f06ab6c572cc5c5fdf.jpgIMG_0040.thumb.jpg.7677f209e2491bc0f99cbba6db622ca5.jpg

This is my new build. Pirate Penguin. Pirate because I like Pirates, Penguin because this is a Linux machine running Pop OS. 

Case: Panteks Evolve Shift 

PSU: Seasonic Focus SGX-650 

CPU: Ryzen 2600X

GPU: XFX Radeon RX5700 (Mainly due to the blower style cooler. Which is recommended in this case) 

SSD: Intel 660p 1TB 

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (Mainly for lighting) 

Motherboard: ASRock Mini-ITX B450 Gaming ITX/AC 

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4

Monitors: LG 25UM58-P 25" 21:9 (1080p)   + Acer  23"  16:9 (1080p), Possibly a 3 monitor if I get an adapter for the second Acer montior I have, need an HDMI to display port adapter. 

Extras: Bought 2 more Phanteks 140mm fans to use an intake. 

Thoughts: The case is a challenge to build in. HOWEVER its does look good when its done. The PSU barely fit, might be wise to use semi or non modular or find a shorter unit. The case only has 2 USB 3.0 ports on it, but with how easy it is to access the rear IO, I dont see how thats an issue. The motherboard has USB 3.1 and a type C connector, not sure how to utilize that yet, maybe a portable Bluray player for digitizing movies. Was thinking of adding some more RGB lighting, that might be done down the road. Wire management in this case is ok, they do include some areas to hide cabling, but with the lack of room near the PSU, it was hard to get the cables to hide. 

The 21:9 monitor is fucking awesome. I pissed at myself for not buying one sooner. Great for productivity. While I haven't tried running any games on it, Im sure it will work fine. BONUS, LG being the awesome people they are made it easy to switch between the 2 HDMI inputs. So my old system which is a transcode box is connected to this monitor as well. Makes it easy for me. 

Here is my whole desk setup:

IMG_0038.thumb.jpg.4737d1e046506a7516ebb9514e389013.jpgIMG_0037.thumb.jpg.5303d29cf8358da69300c7eca8e0b10e.jpgIMG_0039.thumb.jpg.839dcc60447f459aa1ec64e0cd175820.jpg

Desk setup

Desk: Ikea Fredde desk

NAS: Qnap TS-451+

UPS: APC 1350VA Back-UPS Pro

Other machineParts (Plex Server) 

Router: Synology RT2600AC

Modem: Motorola SB6141 (Comcast 150/10 1TB Cap) 

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow (2013) Cherry MX Blue Switches (Best switches in my opinion) , Plex server uses a USB Dell Keyboard I have on hand, its sitting on top of the case. 

Mouse: Dream Machine, Plex server uses a wireless Logitech mouse I used to use for my Laptop, the dark blue one in front of the modem 

Sound: Logitech Z323 2.1 Channel, Senheiser HD 4.40 BT headset 

Yeah the wiring is a bit messy but its better than it was. Like I said, not sure how im going to utilize that 3rd monitor. Not sure if Linux like 3 monitors. Fact is I was thinking of using it for my Nintendo Switch, but it lacks speakers, so I would need to find an easy way to switch the Logitech speakers between that monitor and my computer. I figure that way I can connect my PS3 back to the TV to watch Blurays. OR I could just buy a portable Bluray player and digitize the disks. I may also need to buy another UPS, as my current machine and one of my monitors as well as the modem, router and NAS are connected to the one in the picture. The Plex server, my phone charger and speakers are connected to a surge suppressor on the left side of my desk. Really only want the UPS to smooth out power for the Plex server and make sure it shuts down correctly during any power issue. On top of that Im thinking of adding the 2 1TB hard drives from my old system to my NAS for extra storage. I also have a 1TB SSHD from my older laptop I might add to my current build, though I was a little rough on that laptop so Im not sure if the drive is in good shape. 

My next build will most likely be a new plex transcode box in the Node 202, probably wont happen any time soon, but I think thats the way to go. Maybe Fractal Design will release an updated Node 202. I really like the ITX form factor as it saves on space. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.