Need help from an audiophile!!

Hahny

I’ve decided after some time looking at replacements for my Razer kraken chroma usb gaming headset that I want to go with the DT 990 250 OHM Headphones (am open to other suggestions).

I already have a mic to use instead which has been my main input of audio for some time now but I am not sure as to what else I’d need with these headphones.

I kept coming across people commenting on other posts on reddit that “you’ll need an amp or  a dac” or somewhere along those lines. 

I was hoping someone can explain why I’d need these and also leave the name of some good products that I should consider buying. All I know is that ohm is the power of a pair of headphones???

The main use of these headphones will be for fps gaming but I am open for an overkill setup aswell, but if it’s all I would possibly need then that will most likely be the preferred choice.

Any other tips or comments that could help me with this are appreciated, such as how to configure and setup everything with the headphones themselves and windows 10.

Thank you :)

A DAC converts computer language (ones and zeros) into real world voltage changes which is what analog audio is.

The subsequent signal is too weak to drive headphones, so you need an amplifier. This amplifies the signal that the DAC produces and moves the diaphragm in your headphones.

Ohm is the resistance of a circuit. High ohm means that you need more power to 'power' the headphones.

There's no point in giving you recommendations unless you have a price point, because dacs and amps range from tens of [insert western currency] to thousands of [insert western currency]. How much money are you willing to spend on top of the headphones? By the way, good headphone choice.

Once you have everything, it'll be a simple plug and play situation. If not, then a simple driver install of the specific DAC, though in my experience it's been plug and play.

Remember with ohms the lower the number the more power it is.  

0 ohms is a dead short ( Like a toaster ). 16 ohm is a typical 12" guitar amp speaker, 25-70 is a general headphone/earbud impedance. 

Just be aware that the amp needs to be equal to or greater ohm ( smaller ohm number ) than the headphones. Also putting a big amp on a small driver can easily ruin the driver if it is turned up too loud.

7 hours ago, theonlyratatoskr said:

A DAC converts computer language (ones and zeros) into real world voltage changes which is what analog audio is.

The subsequent signal is too weak to drive headphones, so you need an amplifier. This amplifies the signal that the DAC produces and moves the diaphragm in your headphones.

Ohm is the resistance of a circuit. High ohm means that you need more power to 'power' the headphones.

There's no point in giving you recommendations unless you have a price point, because dacs and amps range from tens of [insert western currency] to thousands of [insert western currency]. How much money are you willing to spend on top of the headphones? By the way, good headphone choice.

Once you have everything, it'll be a simple plug and play situation. If not, then a simple driver install of the specific DAC, though in my experience it's been plug and play.

The DT’s are $220 AUD but i’m willing to spend double that or somewhere around that area for whatever else I need, so around $250 AUD extra for an amp I’ll say. 

And for the plug and play, would I run it like this:  PC—>Amp—>Headphones

Also is the dac a seperate thing and I’d need to get too?

So the amp I get will need to be 250 ohm or below?

3 hours ago, Hahny said:

So the amp I get will need to be 250 ohm or below?

No, what he was saying made no sense at all.

I recommend against the dt 990.

I would get the massdrop Sennheiser hd6xx and a schiit fulla 2

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

No, what he was saying made no sense at all.

I recommend against the dt 990.

I would get the massdrop Sennheiser hd6xx and a schiit fulla 2

If he's intending on gaming on them I'm against the 6xx. The 880,990, and the 58x all outperform the 6xx in gaming the have wider soundstage and superior imaging.

Just now, rice guru said:

If he's intending on gaming on them I'm against the 6xx. The 880,990, and the 58x all outperform the 6xx in gaming the have wider soundstage and superior imaging.

Maybe, 58x is good option too, as is 880. I would stay away from the 990 though, way too much on the treble

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

Maybe, 58x is good option too, as is 880. I would stay away from the 990 though, way too much on the treble

While I would agree for music in gaming you want that bump on the treble. Helps really highlight footsteps. And movement in grass and such

Sound signature is all relative, some people like heaps of disgusting Beats -type bass, others don't. Some people like dt990's trebble (definition), others don't.

DT990s are great headphones. HD650s are great headphones. One will be happy with either or any equivalent.

Anyway...

10 hours ago, Hahny said:

And for the plug and play, would I run it like this:  PC—>Amp—>Headphones

Also is the dac a seperate thing and I’d need to get too?

Possibly. You could potentially run:
Computer headphone out -> Amp -> Headphones

However, it's very likely that your computer's on board DAC is quite low quality so you probably want to replace this.

There are DACs that are separate from Amps, and then there are two in one units (DAC/Amp). I prefer the latter as you have less cables to worry about and I like a cleaner desk.

You could do either of these:

Computer USB -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphones

or

Computer USC -> DAC/Amp -> Headphones

Here's some excellent choices:

https://heavy.com/tech/2018/10/best-dac-amp-combo/

1 hour ago, theonlyratatoskr said:

Sound signature is all relative, some people like heaps of disgusting Beats -type bass, others don't. Some people like dt990's trebble (definition), others don't.

DT990s are great headphones. HD650s are great headphones. One will be happy with either or any equivalent.

Anyway...

Possibly. You could potentially run:
Computer headphone out -> Amp -> Headphones

However, it's very likely that your computer's on board DAC is quite low quality so you probably want to replace this.

There are DACs that are separate from Amps, and then there are two in one units (DAC/Amp). I prefer the latter as you have less cables to worry about and I like a cleaner desk.

You could do either of these:

Computer USB -> DAC -> Amp -> Headphones

or

Computer USC -> DAC/Amp -> Headphones

Here's some excellent choices:

https://heavy.com/tech/2018/10/best-dac-amp-combo/

I think I'll go with the Audioengine D1, should this be okay?

I think you'll like it.

Enjoy it, dude. Let us know what you think when it's all set up and share a pic of your set-up! :)

On 8/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, theonlyratatoskr said:

I think you'll like it.

Enjoy it, dude. Let us know what you think when it's all set up and share a pic of your set-up! :)

I got them and I’m very impressed, way better then my Razer headset :) 

213CB167-A89B-4F44-A9DA-E894FB5614B8.jpeg

90D5DAF2-5A3F-45D5-BF9A-D13D85F0F074.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Hahny said:

I got them and I’m very impressed, way better then my Razer headset :) 

213CB167-A89B-4F44-A9DA-E894FB5614B8.jpeg

90D5DAF2-5A3F-45D5-BF9A-D13D85F0F074.jpeg

Glad you like em. My first choice for a gaming headphone at that price point

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

Glad you like em. My first choice for a gaming headphone at that price point

I noticed straight away how much of an improvement they are. Sound is a lot more 3D??(If that’s the right word) and are so so soooo comfy!

Thanks for the help!!

Awesome. Glad you like 'em!! :D

You're getting better locational accuracy in your stereo field - not 3D. That's good terminology to remember if you want to impress the next audiofile you come accross ;) haha

2 hours ago, Hahny said:

I noticed straight away how much of an improvement they are. Sound is a lot more 3D??(If that’s the right word) and are so so soooo comfy!

Thanks for the help!!

Yep ironically enough sounds better "3d" wise than headsets with 7.1 suround