Old laptop

2CoolforCPU

I have this old laptop from like 2008 with windows vista on it, and i have a cd with windows 8.1. My guesses are that the computer Will not be compatible with 8.1, but it's better to be safe than sorry

Will it work or not?

CPU: FX-8350, GPU: xfx radeon r9 290, RAM: corsair venegance 8gb, STORAGE; seagate barracuda 1TB hdd, SSDnow kingston 120gb, CPU COOLER: CM hyper 212 , CASE: fractal design XL, PSU: corsair CS 650w 80+ gold MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

If the specs meet the requirements then yea it will

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It should still work but it will be slow and shitfull. My suggestion: chuck linux on it and since it is an old laptop then a good idea is to use crunchbang, a very lightweight OS that will suit your needs.

What do you do with this computer?

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Depends on the BIOS and that sort of stuff, you can try but there is no guarantee that windows 8.1 will work

If the specs meet the requirements then yea it will

what are the requirements?

CPU: FX-8350, GPU: xfx radeon r9 290, RAM: corsair venegance 8gb, STORAGE; seagate barracuda 1TB hdd, SSDnow kingston 120gb, CPU COOLER: CM hyper 212 , CASE: fractal design XL, PSU: corsair CS 650w 80+ gold MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

It should still work but it will be slow and shitfull. My suggestion: chuck linux on it and since it is an old laptop then a good idea is to use crunchbang, a very lightweight OS that will suit your needs.

What do you do with this computer?

most hmtl5, css and sometimes c++. Nothing demanding

Linux sounds great, but is bt5 the best choice or is there other versions i should try?

what are the requirements?

>1GHz CPU, >2GB RAM, >20GB HDD space, DX9 compatible GPU

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Depends on the BIOS and that sort of stuff, you can try but there is no guarantee that windows 8.1 will work

really scary to just try, i don't have backup and i don't have the vista cd either

I have this old laptop from like 2008 with windows vista on it, and i have a cd with windows 8.1. My guesses are that the computer Will not be compatible with 8.1, but it's better to be safe than sorry

Will it work or not?

Uh it might be compatible with windows 8.1 just maybe. If you know the specs just compared them to the system requirements for windows 8.1 from this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/system-requirements. Or you should on the other hand,put  a Linux distro like Elementary or something else on it, and GO LOLZ.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

For linux distros use Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Elementary is also a good alternative, but if you don't like any of the mentioned you have 100+.

i'm a potato