Huawei Mate 20 Pro or Mate 20 X? What would u choose?

PTGamer88

Hello guys,

For the sick of maintain knowledge, I´m living in Europe (Portugal) so $ doesn´t apply on my country because its mostly more expensive but I gona put in $ so that u can understand what I mean.

Im going to buy a new phone, something refreshing from P20 Pro. I do like him, but I play alote and I use 7 to 8h the Phone per day so its my best friend. I do take alote photos so Huawei is the main "brand" for me since it has the best market and we don´t sell Google Pixel in our country.

The phones are priced this way ($ is in US Dollars):

- Huawei Mate 20 Pro (600€ / 673$)

- Huawei Mate 20 X (699€ / 784$)

- Huawei P30 Pro (899€ / 1008$)

So I gona exclude the P30 Pro because its too expensive even nowdays since its not a big improvemente over Mate 20 Pro from what I heard and researched in 1 month.

Overall, the OnePlus 7 Pro is a good phone but is priced at same level as the Mate 20 X (or even more here) but has a inferior camera and battery isn´t that great compared to Huawei.

So what do u think? What should I buy?

Maybe the X is way to big, but it loses on the screen I guess in terms of quality "no?". Overall its almost the same, I only take shower with the phone but he gets only splash water ofc. I never took the phone under water anyways.

mate 20 Pro > mate 20 X. It has a higher pixeldensity screen.

But you can't really compare that much, because the Mate 20 X is REALLY huge.

Did you consider the P30 pro? It shouldn't be that much more expensive than a Mate 20 Pro atm, but sadly it is. Anyway, Mate 20 Pro is still one of the best phones out there.

Anyway, P30 > Mate 20 Pro for pictures. Better / newer camera sensor.

Oneplus 7 Pro has:

- much better performance. Not just because of a better SoC, or a more clean UI, but also because of the 90 Hz screen. No phone out there feels this "smooth" and "snappy" to use, than this.

- a good custom Rom community, while custom Roms are always bad with Huawei phones

- Which camera is better, depends on your taste, and the motive itself. Sometimes the Mate 20 is better, sometimes the Google Pixel 3, sometimes Oneplus 7 Pro.

I think, they all make VERY good images, and you will only notice differences, if you compare pictures directly.

still, Price of the Mate 20 Pro is very very decent...

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

mate 20 Pro > mate 20 X. It has a higher pixeldensity screen.

But you can't really compare that much, because the Mate 20 X is REALLY huge.

Did you consider the P30 pro? It shouldn't be that much more expensive than a Mate 20 Pro atm, but sadly it is. Anyway, Mate 20 Pro is still one of the best phones out there.

Anyway, P30 > Mate 20 Pro for pictures. Better / newer camera sensor.

Oneplus 7 Pro has:

- much better performance. Not just because of a better SoC, or a more clean UI, but also because of the 90 Hz screen. No phone out there feels this "smooth" and "snappy" to use, than this.

- a good custom Rom community, while custom Roms are always bad with Huawei phones

- Which camera is better, depends on your taste, and the motive itself. Sometimes the Mate 20 is better, sometimes the Google Pixel 3, sometimes Oneplus 7 Pro.

I think, they all make VERY good images, and you will only notice differences, if you compare pictures directly.

still, Price of the Mate 20 Pro is very very decent...

U made great points there thanks

Found out that I can buy new the P30 Pro for about, some promo we got for 48h, (750€ / 824$), should I consider it? its the difference cap from the 600€ of the Mate 20 Pro the difference price of 150€ worth it?

difficult to say.

Mate 20 Pro will have the better screen, because it's higher resolution.

But that also means, P30 pro will have the better battery Life. In fact, P30 Pro has a superb battery life.

Also, Camera is a little tiny bit better, because of the newer sensor.

the Kirin 980 is the same, so.... yea. But the P30 Pro has 8gb Ram instead of 6. Might be worth mentioning, if you want as many apps in Ram as possible without any reloads (6gb are still very fine).

P30 Pro has a MUCH smaller Notch, which is very pleasing.

Mate 20 Pro however has a 3d face unlock AND a Notification LED (which is missing on the P30 Pro)

Mate 20 Pro also has hybrid-stereo speakers, but the main speaker is inside the USB-C Slot. If you charge it, audio will be muffled.

I think it's all about preferences, which poins are important for you, and which are not.

I think you won't be disappointed in either. And no matter which you take, it will be "outdated" at the same time, because the specs are so similar/identical.

9 hours ago, Darkseth said:

difficult to say.

Mate 20 Pro will have the better screen, because it's higher resolution.

But that also means, P30 pro will have the better battery Life. In fact, P30 Pro has a superb battery life.

Also, Camera is a little tiny bit better, because of the newer sensor.

the Kirin 980 is the same, so.... yea. But the P30 Pro has 8gb Ram instead of 6. Might be worth mentioning, if you want as many apps in Ram as possible without any reloads (6gb are still very fine).

P30 Pro has a MUCH smaller Notch, which is very pleasing.

Mate 20 Pro however has a 3d face unlock AND a Notification LED (which is missing on the P30 Pro)

Mate 20 Pro also has hybrid-stereo speakers, but the main speaker is inside the USB-C Slot. If you charge it, audio will be muffled.

I think it's all about preferences, which poins are important for you, and which are not.

I think you won't be disappointed in either. And no matter which you take, it will be "outdated" at the same time, because the specs are so similar/identical.

You made good points there. In fact, screen size its almost the same on both.

The P30 Pro has a better design but it loses to screen resolution that many people anyways uses the FHD+ instante of more then that but anycase the Mate 20 Pro is kinda as good as the P30 Pro. 

Night camera is little better on P30 Pro and much better in Zoom that to be honest, most of us never gona use.

I could go for a Samsung but kinda expensive 799€ and still has slower charger and so one... kinda like Huawei and his evolution. Alote ppl claim that Samsung is alote better, can´t afirme that since Im coming form the S  series from previous years and I kinda hate Samsung.

Im using right now for 9 months the P20 Pro and  I do like it, but wanna a better/ bigger screen and a more "actual design". Battery wise,  I think the 40W destroys over time the battery, thats why Im feeling  on my P20 Pro ?

i tried the x10 up to x50 zoom on the P30 and tbh.. even at max x50 zoom, the picture quality is surprisingly good (for a 50x zoom..), you can actually read signs and stuff. It could be handy.

Display: Also, Mate 20 Pro will be sharper, but a native 1080p Screen will consume a good bit less power than a 1440p screen.

You should take both in your hands, and just see for yourself, if you can actually see a difference.

Most will not notice anything, i dare to say.

When i switched from my S7 edge (2560x1440) to my Oneplus 6T (1080p), when comparing both side to side, there is a small visiblie difference in sharpness.

But when i use the phone normal, i have no complains really.

Like i said, if you REALLY focus on that, you can see a difference. But if you use it normally, there won't be any issues.

Still, the Mate 20 Pro is still veeery far on that side with a good battery life. 2018 it had one of the best battery lifes out there.

34 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

i tried the x10 up to x50 zoom on the P30 and tbh.. even at max x50 zoom, the picture quality is surprisingly good (for a 50x zoom..), you can actually read signs and stuff. It could be handy.

Display: Also, Mate 20 Pro will be sharper, but a native 1080p Screen will consume a good bit less power than a 1440p screen.

You should take both in your hands, and just see for yourself, if you can actually see a difference.

Most will not notice anything, i dare to say.

When i switched from my S7 edge (2560x1440) to my Oneplus 6T (1080p), when comparing both side to side, there is a small visiblie difference in sharpness.

But when i use the phone normal, i have no complains really.

Like i said, if you REALLY focus on that, you can see a difference. But if you use it normally, there won't be any issues.

Still, the Mate 20 Pro is still veeery far on that side with a good battery life. 2018 it had one of the best battery lifes out there.

Do u think its worth the difference of 150€ from Mate 20 Pro to P30 Pro

only if those differences are very important for you.

You have to decide that for yourself.

However from an objective standpoint with these prices: No, the Mate 20 Pro will be a better pure Value. Not much worse, but a good bit cheaper.

52 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

only if those differences are very important for you.

You have to decide that for yourself.

However from an objective standpoint with these prices: No, the Mate 20 Pro will be a better pure Value. Not much worse, but a good bit cheaper.

Good point.

Gona decide today.

BTW What they had in store for showroom the brigthness was poor a crappy compared to P30 Pro, maybe defect? Or is that something to keep in mind?

Was the brightness in Auto or manual? Was it on max?

From reviews of both phones so far, i never heared of them beeing not bright enough.

4 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Was the brightness in Auto or manual? Was it on max?

From reviews of both phones so far, i never heared of them beeing not bright enough.

Both on max brightness, was a huge difference of brightness, maybe because its a old "exposed" showroom model, not?

On 7/13/2019 at 8:13 AM, Darkseth said:

brightness usually doesn't degrade.

Computerbase (german) did measure 531 nits (P30 Pro) vs. 616 nits (Mate 20 Pro): https://www.computerbase.de/2019-04/huawei-p30-pro-test/3/

Oh yea: Max brightness Manual vs. Max brightness Auto can be different. Many phones can boost the brightness even higher, if Brightness is set on Auto

I bought the Mate 20 X version, had to, the Pro version was sold out :S

Brightness could be better but overall isnt much far behind of a P30 Pro!