(ErP/EuP ready power supply is required)

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's not really required... a power supply that can do those is only needed if you want enable and use power savings modes that put your computer to deep sleep / standby , stuff like that.

A power supply that doesn't have those features may not be able to provide a stable 12v and 5v at very low power consumption, like 5-10w, which can happen if the motherboard commands the video card and processor to go in "sleep mode" if you don't touch anything or use the computer in some way for a while. If psu can't handle it, then pc could shut down or reset instead of waking up normally from sleep mode. If you don't use these features, you'll be perfectly fine. 

Your computer would work just fine with that Corsair VS550

in general, gold efficiency power supplies from reputable brands will have no problems even if they don't advertise that they're ErP/EuP "compatible"

Hello, so I might be getting B450M-HDV motherboard, and I just came upon this "(ErP/EuP ready power supply is required)". So I began researching if my power supply is ErP/EuP ready power supply, but I couldn't find any information if it was and neither if it wasn't. Now my question is what would happen if I put together a motherboard that requires ErP/EuP ready power supply with a power supply that isn't ErP/EuP ready. Btw I know that ErP/Eup means that it should run under 1 watt when turned off.

P.S. The power supply I want to buy is Corsair VS550 550Watt.

It's not really required... a power supply that can do those is only needed if you want enable and use power savings modes that put your computer to deep sleep / standby , stuff like that.

A power supply that doesn't have those features may not be able to provide a stable 12v and 5v at very low power consumption, like 5-10w, which can happen if the motherboard commands the video card and processor to go in "sleep mode" if you don't touch anything or use the computer in some way for a while. If psu can't handle it, then pc could shut down or reset instead of waking up normally from sleep mode. If you don't use these features, you'll be perfectly fine. 

Your computer would work just fine with that Corsair VS550

in general, gold efficiency power supplies from reputable brands will have no problems even if they don't advertise that they're ErP/EuP "compatible"

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

gold efficiency power supplies from reputable brands will have no problems even if they don't advertise that they're ErP/EuP "compatible"

I prefer this statement:

GOOD MODERN power supplies will have no problems

since brand PSU doesn't mean good, neither does 80+ gold

It's quite difficult to make a power supply reach gold efficiency levels while not being good in the low power department as well.

80+ bronze or 80+ white (230v only 80+ bronze) power supplies can suck at low power outputs, but reach the minimums of ~ 82% efficiency at 20%/50% loads

So I agree that there may be perfectly fine modern power supplies made in the last 3-5 years or so that would work perfectly fine, but I'm just narrowing it a bit by saying "gold efficiency" just to be on the "safer" side.

3 hours ago, Elans said:

P.S. The power supply I want to buy is Corsair VS550 550Watt.

The newer VS550 (gray label) is ErP compliant.

The old VS550 (orange text on label) is not.