Nikon d3200 adapted for K 50mm 1.7, worth it?

So I have an old 50mm 1.7 Pentax SMC lens that was my dads, and I was wondering is it worth buying a cheap adapter to use it?

this is the adapter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-Camera/dp/B003Y31A2W

i understand I can’t use auto features but that’s part of the reason I want to try it.

anything to consider like focal length and image quality loss?

thanks 

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

3 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

So I have an old 50mm 1.7 Pentax SMC lens that was my dads, and I was wondering is it worth buying a cheap adapter to use it?

this is the adapter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-Camera/dp/B003Y31A2W

i understand I can’t use auto features but that’s part of the reason I want to try it.

anything to consider like focal length and image quality loss?

thanks 

Focal length will go from the 1.5x to closer to 1.7 to 1.8 (depending on adapter)

I used much more plain ones sans the little glass in the middle, without issues (all manual of course...)

the glass is nice enough, but nothing beyond what you get with a 50mm f/1.8 native nikon lens

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Focal length will go from the 1.5x to closer to 1.7 to 1.8 (depending on adapter)

I used much more plain ones sans the little glass in the middle, without issues (all manual of course...)

the glass is nice enough, but nothing beyond what you get with a 50mm f/1.8 native nikon lens

Is it worth the risk? I’m hearing on reddit there crap

my other choice is a 35mm f1.8, upgrade from kit

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Just now, XDroidie626 said:

Is it worth the risk? I’m hearing on reddit there crap

my other choice is a 35mm f1.8, upgrade from kit

There's no 'risk' really, it'll just perform really poorly. I wouldn't bother adapting older non-Nikon lenses to your camera when there are plenty of Nikon F lenses floating around. A very inexpensive manual option would be something like the Nikon Series E lenses.

But if you're upgrading from a kit lens why even buy a manual lens? Grab a 35mm 1.8 DX ($100 used) or 50mm 1.8G ($150 used).

1 minute ago, ItsMe!Entropy said:

There's no 'risk' really, it'll just perform really poorly. I wouldn't bother adapting older non-Nikon lenses to your camera when there are plenty of Nikon F lenses floating around. A very inexpensive manual option would be something like the Nikon Series E lenses.

But if you're upgrading from a kit lens why even buy a manual lens? Grab a 35mm 1.8 DX ($100 used) or 50mm 1.8G ($150 used).

That was my plan originally, I’ll go for that

Thanks!! 

37 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

That was my plan originally, I’ll go for that

Thanks!! 

Or the original 50mm f/1.8 non-G for even less (75$ used US money)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Or the original 50mm f/1.8 non-G for even less (75$ used US money)

It won't autofocus with a D3xxx or D5xxx camera (not sure what OP has though).

Edited by ItsMe!Entropy

3 hours ago, ItsMe!Entropy said:

It won't autofocus with a D3xxx or D5xxx camera (not sure what OP has though).

Right, but if he's ok with MF on the original Pentax lens, then he can save himself some dosh with a non-G lens

IMO the $25-75 difference between a 50mm 1.8D and a 35mm 1.8 DX (or 50mm 1.8G) is well worth it 2x times over.

31 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Right, but if he's ok with MF on the original Pentax lens

I'm assuming he was okay with the Pentax lens because it was something he already owned. If he's going to drop money on an entirely new lens he might as well go for something more modern and fully functional on his camera. I usually don't even recommend manual lenses on lower end cameras because the viewfinder is tiny (hard to nail focus).